Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building an Electrostatic Speaker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
For an in-room measurement, that's a beautiful response curve.

Agreed! Quite nice.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I just hacked together the improved variable HV-supply with the linear power amplifier and it works fine. I have to clean up the board a bit and then it can go out for fabbing.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I didn't make enough pictures showing the initial stages of membraning the speaker I have taken the opportunity of doing it now while doing the second one.

I first roll the mylar across the speaker and tack it with a little bit of tape to the two reachable corners. I then use a ruler and an absolutely sharp x-acto knife to cut off the excess material. It is very important to try your best not to create any nicks as mylar will easily tear starting at those nicks. If you make one anyway put a piece of tape on it to start your stretch there.

The rest of this evening and probably the next two as well can now be spent carefully stretching up the membrane.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the new HV-supply boards and the remaining parts for the interface box. I also had to order some more polycarbonate strips as somehow inexplicably the ones I still had weren't long enough. No idea how that happened.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the polycarbonate strips up today and just did measurements on the speaker impedance and a level of around 2.8Vrms. These are the results:

10Hz 15 Ohm
20Hz 26 Ohm
30Hz 26 Ohm
40Hz 37 Ohm
50Hz 46 Ohm
60Hz 60 Ohm
70Hz 46 Ohm
80Hz 46 Ohm
90Hz 46 Ohm
100Hz 60 Ohm
120Hz 60 Ohm
140Hz 60 Ohm

10kHz 1.16 Ohm

The measurements are probably not better than 10% accurate. I also noticed visible distortion at 10Hz at the other side of the 6.6 Ohm series measurement resistor. The visible distortion disappeared at 20Hz. Between 100Hz and 10kHz the impedance gradually reduced without any visible resonance peaks.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I wanted to finish cutting the strips to finish the second speaker and guess what. I ordered polycarbonate strips but obviously received acrylic and they are impossible to cut, those things melt and shatter. GRRRRRR, I have to call tomorrow and get the correct stuff.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the new HV boards and started to built them up, the oscillator is already working, the rest will be finished in a few days.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there were two!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! Wish I could afford them!!!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous, Kim!

And it only took you 8 months. Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a listen to those! Hey Kim, what kind of music do you like?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, they do start to look good, what is left is the trim and a few other finishing touches. I know it takes a bit longer than expected, my wife for example keeps reminding me of that, but in my defense I have to say that veneering is just a pain the rear end.

Personally I like to listen the classical synthesizer music like Kraftwerk, JM Jarre and Vangelis and more temporary stuff like Moby and trance music from for example Armin van Buuren and Tiesto. But I also listen to classic rock like Pink Floyd.

The smaller speakers are not that expensive and with a small group buy of identical speakers the price can even come down some more. When ordering the perforated metal for example a lot of the price is in the set-up cost, I noticed that the quote for 2 sheets is almost the same as for 4 sheets.

Next year in May during the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas I plan to show the ESL-1's again, yes the really big ones, and I hope to have a direct drive HV-amplifier finished so I can drive them without transformers in the signal path.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished populating one of the two variable HV-supply boards. It is currently running around 500Hz and works perfectly with no noise coming from the transformer whatsoever.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the strangest dream last night: I dreamt that Kim sent the speakers to ME by mistake instead of to the customer who actually ordered them. They did sound great however! (Not exactly sure why I unpacked them and hooked them up ...) Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your dream is trying to tell you something.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this morning I played the second one for a few hours in order to burn off the dust and to burn in the membrane a bit. I do have to say that even with the old transformer and supply these things are pretty loud.

This weekend I plan to finish them off with the trim and the filler strips on top and bottom.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Had the strangest dream last night: I dreamt that Kim sent the speakers to ME by mistake instead of to the customer who actually ordered them. They did sound great however! (Not exactly sure why I unpacked them and hooked them up ...) Wink

Kal

It's inherent in techies/engineers. It's like a woman with a Coach purse. Gotta have one (or a pair).

We know what you want for Christmas!
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply beautiful Kim. I'm continually impressed at the quality of your work and products - amazing!
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the praise, I try to do my best.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am working on the trim pieces and I have placed one of them, I also placed a rubber filler strip in between the stators and the trim. This makes it look almost professional.

and in closeup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14
Jump to: