Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building a classic computer to run a classic OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A Rogers wrote:
mc86 wrote:
did a lot of those mid-90s, super-duper machines die from a mass of bad capacitors? I seem to remember shortly after I started in my lab a host of socket 370 machines and better crapped out.

You might find this interesting

http://www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/capacitor.html

Pretty sure that Pentium pros came out before the bad cap problems.

I use to buy from a shop that used allot of Abit mother boards. Those times were trying. The shop owner was very customer oriented and took care of the warranty issues by replacing the motherboards for his customers out of his own pocket and waiting to be reimbursed in the form of new mother boards. It was a rotating door there for a while. Man those techs got fast at swapping mother boards.

I lost my PII Celeron 300 over-clocked to 503 system to bad caps. The power supply blew when I plugged in the mains power cord. I heard SNAP SNAP SNAP.

The only thing in that case that survived was the all mighty floppy drive. That was a sad day.

That was my awesum Win95 C gaming box. Dual VooDoo powered. ( a moment of silence please ) Crying or Very sad

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aenglish wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
I missed out on the bidding for a set of 4 matched Pentium Pro 200's with 1 meg cache.

New plan, apparently BeOS will run on Xenon processor. So I'll look for some of those.

I think I have a pair of pentium pro 200's somewhere. I will take a look tonight and let you know.

Any luck finding these?

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raided my old equipment/PC storage. I "think" I can see my old fast SCSI box ( still need a few hours of digging to get to it ) If it's the right box it'll be a dual PIII 500/512k cache and 4x AGP slot ( that's where Gary's M450 card will come in )
There should also be between 512 -1gig or ECC ram in there and a 10 000RPM 18GB hard drive, 40x CD 68pin SCSI reader, an 8x CDburner and a set of PCMCIA slots in the ISA interface (if I remember correctly )

I had forgotten about this box, it was my fast system in 1999, after I upgraded it so much by 2003 I had enough parts to rebuild most of the original box but I never used it again and there it sat forgotten.

I also found an IBM desktop dual Pentium pro box at the office in a storage closet. No RAM or processors so if you can find your pair of P-PRO chips I'll resurrect that one. I believe it has a Matrox G200 PCI card in it. If not I just found a 4MB ATi Rage + PCI card AND a ISA Soundblaster AWE 64

I love finding the old stuff.

CRT.

HD done right!
A Rogers

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
A Rogers wrote:
mc86 wrote:
did a lot of those mid-90s, super-duper machines die from a mass of bad capacitors? I seem to remember shortly after I started in my lab a host of socket 370 machines and better crapped out.

I use to buy from a shop that used allot of Abit mother boards. Those times were trying. The shop owner was very customer oriented and took care of the warranty issues by replacing the motherboards for his customers out of his own pocket and waiting to be reimbursed in the form of new mother boards. It was a rotating door there for a while. Man those techs got fast at swapping mother boards.

I lost my PII Celeron 300 over-clocked to 503 system to bad caps. The power supply blew when I plugged in the mains power cord. I heard SNAP SNAP SNAP.

The only thing in that case that survived was the all mighty floppy drive. That was a sad day.

That was my awesum Win95 C gaming box. Dual VooDoo powered. ( a moment of silence please ) Crying or Very sad

(silence)All hail the mighty 300a
I've got an sli voodoo2 rig coming in soon, actually I've got a sh1t load of vintage parts lying around.. mostly pII or newer though.

/e I've got a awe64 ISA in a Athlon 700/voodoo3 box... Sounds just as good as the on-board stuff made today and in some cases better.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Rogers wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
A Rogers wrote:
mc86 wrote:

I've got an sli voodoo2 rig coming in soon, actually I've got a sh1t load of vintage parts lying around.. mostly pII or newer though.

/e I've got a awe64 ISA in a Athlon 700/voodoo3 box... Sounds just as good as the on-board stuff made today and in some cases better.

Very Punny

What you gonna do with the old VooDoo stuff?

CRT.

HD done right!
A Rogers

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
A Rogers wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
A Rogers wrote:
mc86 wrote:

Very Punny

What you gonna do with the old VooDoo stuff?

I'll probably spend several hours building a really nice (for 2000) computer and let it collect dust.. If you want to borrow/use the stuff for an indefinite period I'd be cool with that.. I've got at least 3 voodoo 2s and a voodoo Banshee.. I'm pretty sure I've got a few period correct enermax psus as well.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm I know I have quite a few old boxs laying around. I wonder if I could get all my Win95 games up and running on the VooDoo2's...

I remember owning a PIII 800 box that was built out of spare parts. I can't remember what became of it though. Probably in that equipment storage room Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
A Rogers

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Hmmmm I know I have quite a few old boxs laying around. I wonder if I could get all my Win95 games up and running on the VooDoo2's...

I remember owning a PIII 800 box that was built out of spare parts. I can't remember what became of it though. Probably in that equipment storage room Very Happy

Most games of the period supported 3dfx glide better then any other API, so I don't see why you would have a problem; combined with the Matrox or even the banshee/voodoo3 2d rendering engine I don't think a better configuration(fast and versatile) exists.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh the best 2D was my Matrox G400 Dual head MAX 4x AGP card. That was a $999 card in 1999 and was absolutely spectacular when paired with my Princeton Ultra95 19" monitor.

When I replaced it with the $1500 Geforce TI4800 VIVO, IEEE1394,128MB BGA, 8X AGP card with 3D glasses ( yeah it was THAT cool ) I was disappointed in the 2D, it was such a let down as compared to the G400 MAX. Faster 3D ( somewhere around 70-80fps in Quake3 ) but bad desktop performance and clarity.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Matrox G400 was my gaming card from Oct 1999 - April 2002, they only offered 1 driver update the whole time but that enabled "bump mapping" in Quake 3 engine games and added about 3fps overall.

It was a toss up between the Viper Ultra 770 32mb card and the Matrox. I bought both. The matrox was way faster. The Viper 770 ended up doing duty in the Celeron 300 C box just for 2D ( which it wasn't great at ) The dual VooDoo2's took care of the 3D

That G400 card was the last best Matrox card. The G450 came out at a slower clock rate and with 2 different cores. As I recal reading....with the dual monitor setup on that card you could do 1600x1200 on output 1 but only 1280x1024 on output 2.

Princeton Ultra95 special order, I have 2.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbQ65adahaE&feature=related

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
aenglish wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
I missed out on the bidding for a set of 4 matched Pentium Pro 200's with 1 meg cache.

New plan, apparently BeOS will run on Xenon processor. So I'll look for some of those.

I think I have a pair of pentium pro 200's somewhere. I will take a look tonight and let you know.

Any luck finding these?

You have a chance to find these?

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 matched pentium pro 200s with 512k cache and about 2gig of ram.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:

I'll be right over Wink

I'd jump on this but shipping would kill the good old cheap computer part of this.

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
km987654 wrote:

I'll be right over Wink

I'd jump on this but shipping would kill the good old cheap computer part of this.

Let me know if you change your mind Thumbs Up
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
km987654 wrote:

I'll be right over Wink

Let me know if you change your mind Thumbs Up

What kind of RAM BTW?

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ns 128mg ECC simms
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooo Hoo! Just got 2x200Mhz Pentium Pro's with 1mb cache!

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This almost is starting to sound like a post apocalypse Planet of the Apes attempt to garner destroyed technology.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
This almost is starting to sound like a post apocalypse Planet of the Apes attempt to garner destroyed technology.

Wan, you just described my living room Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: