Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

GAH! Need digital projector purchasing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: GAH! Need digital projector purchasing advice Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Bleh, I regret even posting this... Mr. Green

I need to quote a couple of presentation projectors for a sound system we're installing into a small conference room. XVGA is probably mandatory, 1500-2000 lumens as well, but other than that, I don't really care.

We are going to mount two 5X7 screens in the room, it's a smallish banquet room that opens into 1 big room with folding partitions. Customer is price conscious, so as cheap as possible without it being a no name that will die the day before the warranty runs out.

I've had decent success with Hitachi in the past, but it looks like the supplier that I used to deal with is out of business, so I'll have to buy something online.

Any recommendations as to brands, models and places to buy? If the customer ends up shopping the price, I'll just walk from it, but I'll entertain quoting this for now...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a Sanyo. The one in our conference room throws up a yellow image and has a fan that sounds like a banshee!
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at DLP - there's lots of models by acer, dell, hitachi, optoma, benq, panasonic, and many other companies that meet your lumens and resolution requirements. The only advantages to LCD are mounting flexibility and lack of rainbows, but you'll get smaller inter-pixel gaps and brighter, sharper images with DLP.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I can't sell something that I can't watch. I get headaches from DLP, and won't sell one into a public environment. It will only get sporadic use anyways, so if the LCD chip dies in 5 years, I'm fine with that,
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check projectorpeople.com

I hear they give good advice for people looking for projectors. Laughing
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, that's what I was looking for...
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I didn't spec it - our purchasing people dumped it on us - but, we got an NEC NP610 3LCD at the office last year. I don't know if it's still a current model, but it's a pretty decent machine... 3LCD, XGA, 2450 lumens in eco mode (3500 max), and fairly decent color for a presentation display... A shitload better than the older single-chip DLP we replaced with it.

It's pretty quiet, has IR remote, and you can even control and monitor it over IP. The install flexibility was less than ideal (it has a negative lens offset), but we made it work fine with a drop tube. We're running it in our conference room on a 6x8 electric roll-down matte white screen, and it's plenty bright even in eco mode with the lights dimmed.

I think sells for around a grand plus or minus.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Nope. I can't sell something that I can't watch. I get headaches from DLP, and won't sell one into a public environment. It will only get sporadic use anyways, so if the LCD chip dies in 5 years, I'm fine with that,

You CRT guys are so sensitive!! Wink

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Chances are pretty good the color wheel in a DLP would die in the same time frame as the LCD panel dyes fade, so long-term reliability is a wash. It's disposable junk - use it for 3-4 years and throw it away and get another. <Curt's button pushed>

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I hear ya. Considering it's going into a conference center though, I don't want the call 2 weeks after I install the projector saying 'some people are seeing rainbows and complain of headaches'. I don't need THAT headache. Personally I'm so sensitive to rainbows that I got a headache within 5 minutes of stepping into the TI booth at CES a couple of years ago. To test that it was the DLP that was causing the headache, I walked out of the booth and came back 2 hours later. Same headache within 5 minutes. So no DLP for me!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a BenQ DLP and no one complained about rainbows but either the color wheel or RGB circuitry crapped out after 1800 hours, before the bulb even died. Reddish picture and lately it was turning itself off so the PS went to sh*t too.

I just installed an Epson 85+ with 4K hour rated bulb and 2 year warranty. It's quiet, bright, etc. About $800. I think? It's got filters thoug hthat need to be cleaned so whether or not anyone at your customers place will od that is a toss-up.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: