Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Stewart Firehawk G3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psilvest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Stewart Firehawk G3 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the chance to get a virtually new one at a convenient price (about 1/4 of retail).

Is it suitable for use with a CRT (G70)? Has anybody some experience with it?

I have some issues with reflections in my room, I thought the gain drop with viewing angle might help there.

Thanks,

Pier
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Not really.

Thank you for your concise answer. Could you please expand a bit? Have you used one ?

Pier
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gain is good, ambient light rejection is good, and indeed it should help if you have some reflection issues. I think the only concern I'd have is the potential for more noticeable color shift with the 1.3 gain and non-linear off-axis reflectivity.

But, if you can get it for 1/4 of retail, it might be worth trying... You should be able to sell to a digital owner for what you'd have in it, so relatively low-risk to try. Plus, you're all set up for a digital if the G70 dies down the road and you want to switch. Wink

What type of screen are you currently using?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
psilvest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Gain is good, ambient light rejection is good, and indeed it should help if you have some reflection issues. I think the only concern I'd have is the potential for more noticeable color shift with the 1.3 gain and non-linear off-axis reflectivity.

But, if you can get it for 1/4 of retail, it might be worth trying... You should be able to sell to a digital owner for what you'd have in it, so relatively low-risk to try. Plus, you're all set up for a digital if the G70 dies down the road and you want to switch. Wink

What type of screen are you currently using?

SC

Thanks! I have now a quite unknown Kingpin screen with 1.0 gain.
I see that screens with even much larger gains than 1.3 are used, like the Da-Lite High Power, without - it seems - issues of color shift.
I am not sure what is meant by non-linear off-axis reflectivity, may be you could point me to an explanation.

I read that it is possible to buy from Stewart the fabric alone, and so re-use the frame, should I find that there is color shift or another problem.

Still, it would be nice to know if anybody has had any direct experience with this screen model (and a crt).

Pier
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stewart 'hawk screens are designed for digital projectors with poor contrast [ratios] and black levels. They attempt to control ambient light and light reflection. If you were to audit folks using CRT projectors and ask what screens they are using I would be surprised you could fins anyone these days that would admit to it.

If you want true feedback on the Firehawk from users, why not go over to AV$ and post the question in their screens forum asking who in there using one with a CRT vs. digital. I bet it will be 1000:1. But ignoring what people are using with CRT projectors just because you happen on a deal for one is silly. The G70 isn't a slouch in the CR or BL departments.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
The Stewart 'hawk screens are designed for digital projectors with poor contrast [ratios] and black levels. They attempt to control ambient light and light reflection. If you were to audit folks using CRT projectors and ask what screens they are using I would be surprised you could fins anyone these days that would admit to it.

If you want true feedback on the Firehawk from users, why not go over to AV$ and post the question in their screens forum asking who in there using one with a CRT vs. digital. I bet it will be 1000:1. But ignoring what people are using with CRT projectors just because you happen on a deal for one is silly. The G70 isn't a slouch in the CR or BL departments.

I have indeed asked on AV$ and so far there is nobody with experience using this screen with a crt. I guess crt-ers rather go for studiotek screens when buying stewart.

Obviously my expectation was not to improve CR or BL but to exploit the gain vs. view angle characteristic to reduce the impact of wall reflections. But it seems that the screen would not do that and would perform poorly with a crt (though I am not so sure why..)

cheers

Pier
avwerks

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to increase your contrast and gain from a screen change alone you will do exactly that with a HP 2.8 Dalite. This will have stiff requiements from you and projector placement.

No ceiling mounted PJ
Lousy color shift on your left and right seating placements (non videophile freiends?)
CRTs will have to be within an arms radius of your head since this is a retro-reflective material in nature and the benefit room wise, you and only you will be getting all the light bounced back and very little will be bounced off walls.

If you can get away with these conditions this is the cheapest and biggest video drug available for the single man! (or woman sorry)

Regards
David
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the others, I would not even use a Firehawk on my digital! They are really for ambient lighting scenerios. Secondly, they have massive fall off, they are like .6 gain at 30 degrees! Depending upon your screen size, you will likely have viewers at at least 25 degrees off axis.

If you are doing a fixed screen, a Wilsonart DW will give you the same gain with less fall off and I would argue a better picture quality too.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: