Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Canadians are effed with Netflix...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Canadians are effed with Netflix... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So my reliable satellite guy calls me yesterday and informs me that Bell, Shaw and other cable internet providers are putting caps on the download capabilities of their internet service, and this is a recent ruling made by the CRTC.. the Canadian equivalent of the FCC.

This is to prevent people from signing up for companies like Netflix, as that will take business away from the cable internet providers. If you download or stream a movie from the cable companies, that won't count as part of your download, since you're buying the movie from the cable company, but download/stream one from NEtflix or similar, and chances are you'll get a surcharge from your cable company.

f*cking bastards! Evil or Very Mad

Google this so you're aware of what's going on, but here's one link:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/928850--netflix-worried-by-canadian-internet-download-caps
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that sucks. Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down

Is cable in partnership with the Canadian Government?

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it's liars teaming up with cheaters.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Net neutrality for the win!

Please people...help us make the internet a free marketplace!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only it were that simple, Greg.

Mark my words. Every regulation has unintended consequences. Call it action/reaction. If the ISP's are getting hammered with a new bandwidth-intensive application, and they can't charge anything for that traffic, then they'll simply recover their costs (and profit margin), either with bandwidth-tiered pricing, or just higher prices in general.

I read a stat a few months ago that on any given Friday or Saturday night, that something over 25% of the entire US-based internet's aggregate bandwidth is going to support Netflix streaming. If that continues to grow, I don't see how that's sustainable - either for the internet's infrastructure, or for ISP's business models.

Net neutrality or not, we're going to end up paying - one way or the other.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Netflix is eating up 25% of the entire national bandwidth, why aren't THEY getting charged for the load THEY'RE imposing on the net? The actual cost of their delivery should be wrapped into THEIR cost of business.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's precisely the essence of the Comcast/Level 3/Netflix brouhaha, Gary... Read these articles and see if it doesn't make your head spin:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/blog.aspx?post=e99e0043-e315-4721-8476-4f9206bb7e56

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2010-12-01-comcast01_ST_N.htm

Regardless, it doesn't matter who is "forced" to pay for the bandwidth; whether it's the backbone provider, the ISP, or the company serving up the content. Ultimately, it will be us who pays. It's exactly the same as taxes... You can tax corporations all you want, but corporations don't pay taxes (or increased costs for services)... Ultimately, the people who buy companies' goods and services pay the additional costs. Period. End of story.

I think the sun is setting on the days of free unlimited bandwidth, and Netflix will be what really spurred the transition. It was only a matter of time, because bandwidth is not an unlimited resource. It costs big bucks in terms of infrastructure, and somebody has to pay for it all.

Enjoy your $50-ish/mo broadband and $8.95/mo Netflix streaming because I'll bet money that neither will be anywhere near that cheap in a few years. We'll either be paying a lot more to our ISP's, a lot more to Netflix, or both.

Mark my words. In the end, we'll all pay.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who gives a crap if we pay?!

If I pay for internet service it damn well better be access to the entire freakin internet!

If that price starts to increase I will investigate other ways to connect.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple strategy to avoid competition. Netflix will take away business from pay per view movies that the cable companies offer, so they jack up the price if you download lots. It sucks.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. It seems so many people are dropping cable in favor of a netflix subscription too.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is like a page out of Glenn Beck. Its about as asinine as anything can get. But then again, the past three years have been full of asinine things going on in business (and politics is business).

But, since the people of most nations that are abuse will simply sit there and take it, I expect Canadians to be no different.

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I just called my internet provider, Shaw. I have their business package, at $79 a month. (Yeah, Canadian internet is insanely expensive compared to the US). My cap is 110gigs a month. I was a bit concerned, since I stream internet radio almost 24/7, unless Mediaplayer crashes.

they told me that I'm sitting at about 30 gigs a month, and an HD movie is about 1 gig per hour of watching said movie.

So.. for me, it's feasible that I could get Netflix and watch 1-2 movies a week, and not get any surcharge. I don't typically watch even one movie a week, so right now I'm sitting fine.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Just FYI, I just called my internet provider, Shaw. I have their business package, at $79 a month. (Yeah, Canadian internet is insanely expensive compared to the US). My cap is 110gigs a month. I was a bit concerned, since I stream internet radio almost 24/7, unless Mediaplayer crashes.

they told me that I'm sitting at about 30 gigs a month, and an HD movie is about 1 gig per hour of watching said movie.

So.. for me, it's feasible that I could get Netflix and watch 1-2 movies a week, and not get any surcharge. I don't typically watch even one movie a week, so right now I'm sitting fine.

My provider cap is 250gig and then they may throttle your speed.

I hope it stays this way. It's not like I have any choices here.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm confused Greg. Curt posted about how providers are going to put a caps on bandwidth (and presumably charge for overages) to hurt services like Netflix. You then say:
greg_mitch wrote:
Net neutrality for the win!

Please people...help us make the internet a free marketplace!

I then pointed out that net neutrality really has nothing to do with this (directly), and that it's about money, and that we're all going to have to pay for this stuff sooner or later, one way or the other. To which you respond:
greg_mitch wrote:
Who gives a crap if we pay?!

If I pay for internet service it damn well better be access to the entire freakin internet!

If that price starts to increase I will investigate other ways to connect.

So, you want access to the entire internet (I'm pretty sure we all do!), and you're willing to pay for it... OK... I think that's most of us. But, then in the next breath you say you'll have to explore other options if your bandwidth is throttled (or capped, I assume)... Again, that's probably most of us... But, then you admit the reality, which is that you don't really have any other choices. Again, I think that's true for most of us - one, maybe two different options for broadband.

So, yep... Sooner or later, we're all going to get caps or tiered plans. It's inevitable. Eventually the pricing model is going to shift from speed to capacity/consumption, because that's where the real costs are. Instead of tiered pricing for 5MBPS, 10MBPS and 20MBPS, we'll get tiers for 100GB, 500GB, and 1TB/month... Something like that. It's coming, so get ready.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the conversation recap. Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....meanwhile back at the ranch....

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Is Canadian internet insanely expensive? I pay about $75/mo for my 20mbps service. Doesn't everybody pay between $50 and $75, depending on what speed you buy?

Yeah, no need to worry about internet radio... Even if you're streaming a high-quality 160kbps stream 24/7, that's only about 1.7GB/day or about 50GB/month... You're probably listening to a 96kbps stream, which would be about 30GB. Even after streaming radio 24/7, plus all your other downloads, you'd probably still be good for several movies a week.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

Since I must not have been clear, my point was that nothing is going to be blocked or restricted... You're just going to pay. That's all I'm saying. It won't be something where everybody gets their panties in a bunch like a "Netflix surcharge" line item on your bill... We'll just all pay higher prices whether we need the capacity or not and/or get tiered pricing.

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta remember that Canada has 1/10 the population with more area to cover than the US. Up here there are basically 3 internet providers, Rogers, Bell and Shaw. Telus locally offers it as well, but they are not nationwide, neither is Shaw I believe.

The smaller companies buy bandwidth off the bigger providers, but apparently only at a 15% discount. So we can't switch to the smaller guys hoping for a big drop in price.

They were talking about this on XM this morning, as the hosts were completely ignorant about Canada, and once the Canadians started calling in, it really opened the eyes of the NY hosts. Gas is 25% more expensive, milk is about$5 a gallon, you USers have it good. Smile

The big thing is that people like Netflix are taking pay per views or movies on demand away from the internet providers, who are also the cable providers. These caps (and apparently the ruling is now being reviewed by the gov't, as golly gee, the internet costs to the gov't would then also go up, and sh*t, we can't have that, can we?) are put in place to ensure that someone like NEtflix does not become a big success here in Canada, and the current internet providers maintain their monopoly.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Since I must not have been clear, my point was that nothing is going to be blocked or restricted... You're just going to pay. That's all I'm saying. It won't be something where everybody gets their panties in a bunch like a "Netflix surcharge" line item on your bill... We'll just all pay higher prices whether we need the capacity or not and/or get tiered pricing.

SC

So you are against Net Neutrality because you trust companies to not favor one website over another?

Naive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: