Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I’m Having trouble finding the right resolution - Sony 1251

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: I’m Having trouble finding the right resolution - Sony 1251 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I have a PowerMac G4 with an AGP Nvidia GeForce 4 MX graphics card installed. I would like to use it as a DVR. I am trying to connect it to my Sony 1251 CRT projector via a VGA to RGBHV cable. But I can’t seem to get my Mac to output a functional resolution that the projector will recognize.

Currently I’ve had success with the Mac’s lowest setting of a 60Hz, 640x480 resolution. Any other resolution gives me color shifts/convergence issues, or no picture at all. The 640x480 resolution is such an outdated resolution that my system resets to a higher resolution upon startup. Thus making the whole setup unusable.

It’s my understanding that this projector should be able to handle at least a 1024x768 resolution, which would be ideal. In the past I’ve had some success with an older PCI video card running at a 56.3 Hz, 800x600 resolution, but this card is too slow for video playback.

I’m stuck. Any and all help you can offer would be great!

Thanks!
Scott
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try SwitchResX

http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html

Its a resolution editor, you can make any resolution you want.

I use it for custom resolutions like 1920x800p@72 for Blu ray 2.4 aspect movies.

Works really well

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Scott

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks like a nice application! I didn’t even know it existed, thank you. I will give it a try and post my results!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Having trouble finding the right resolution - Sony 1 Reply with quote

Hi, Scott -

Reading back through your post is giving me the impression that you simply haven't set up any additional resolutions... Yes, the projector will sync to a great many resolutions and refresh rates, but do you realize you need to set up each of those resolutions?

You should be able to use 1024x768 even without SwitchRes... Where SwitchRes comes in hand, is for instance if you want to do 1280x720, which OS X won't give you as an option unless it sees a display that specifically says it will handle 1280x720.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Scott

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Oops!

I feel really stupid, that is exactly it. I’ve been using the projector for 12 years now and I had no idea you could set it for additional resolutions! I’ve only been using whichever resolution(s) worked, which wasn’t a big concern up until now.

Thank you so much!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: