Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Where to put the 3D-VIP in the video chain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill in Beaumont

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Where to put the 3D-VIP in the video chain? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Here's my current set up -

PS3. HTPC, Blu-ray, Cable box > Sony STRDA3400ES > Monoprice 2X1 HDMI splitter > Panasonic AE4000 or Sony KDL-52XBR5.

Would I place this between the PS3 & the receiver or can I put it further up the chain between the receiver and splitter?

Thanks!
gonthorn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell you are correct to place the device between the PS3 and the receiver.

Unless the receiver supports HDMI 1.4a the PS3 will not output 3d (despite the PS3 itself only being HDMI 1.3).

To enable 3d output the 3d-gamer needs to be the first device the PS3 is conencted to so that the PS3 sees the HDMI 1.4a handshake. On the output side of the 3d-gamer you will get 120hz 720p which is hdmi 1.3 compatible.

I am not sure about Sony receivers, but my Onkyo tx 705 will not sync to 120hz. I will only go up to 72hz, I have tested this with my HTPC, and after 72hz the Onkyo will not sync. It shows "no signal" on the Onkyo and anything past that (projector in my case) gets no video signal.

So for my Onkyo I need to feed an optical TOSLINK audio connection from the PS3, and run HDMI directly to the projector via the 3d-gamer. So the path is PS3 -> 3d-gamer -> projector, for video and PS3 -> Onkyo (via optical) for audio. At least thats the theory, just waiting for my 3d-gamer to ship ;p

If you have tested your Sony receiver and it will pass or sync to 120hz then forget about the optical audio and just go all HDMI. However I think the 3d-gamer still needs to be the first device the PS3 talks to.

Hope that helps Smile
jonathan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonthorn reply is accurate. In addition, it is advisable to connect 3D-Gamer directly to PS3 at first instance to define the settings. PS3 will then retain those settings and if 3D-Gamer were to be removed and placed somewhere else in the chain, PS3 will still retain the settings and output in 3D. Gonthorn is also correct in saying that not all AVRs will pass 3D signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: