Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Blu-ray players with Netflix streaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Blu-ray players with Netflix streaming? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Guys,

My family recently upgraded from the quarter century old 20" Panasonic TV to a 34" widescreen CRT HDTV that's only about seven years old.

The "new" TV has two sets of component inputs and a DVI input that will display 720p and 1080i.

I made a comment that it would be easy to setup a box (either a Roku, or a Blu-ray player) so they could access my Netflix account and watch movies on the TV. They like the idea and want me to make it happen.

So my question for you guys is what is the best option for doing this? We're leaning towards a Blu-ray player right now as it would replace the DVD player, and give them the ability to watch Blu-ray.

Anyone have a recommendation for a player? Cost and excellent Netflix integration are most important, under $100 would be excellent, under $150 is probably doable. Wireless connectivity is preferable but wired is also possible.

The other option is a Roku type box. Is there any advantage (other than maybe cost) to going this route?

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony s570 and it works fine for Netflix. I've heard the Samsungs are a little better. To be honest, for $60 the Roku is amazing and the apps are better, updated more frequently and you'd get a ton more content to choose from. Even the $60 Roku has built in wireless. I bought the $99 version to have 1080p support, optical audio out and future usb media support.

I worry with TV apps and Bluray player apps at what point the manufacturer is going to stop supporting them. If netflix changes and you can't get a firmware update the app stops working and you're out of luck.

Roku on the other hand is all about the apps. If something stops functioning it's priority one for them.

Dale
samchn07

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's okay, you may go ahead with Roku to set up your player and watch any sort of movies over your wide screen . .
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the Roku 2 XS because I cancelled cable but kept internet. We have been using it exclusively for Amazon VOD but it ROCKS!

The thing was dead simple and streams "HD" easily wirelessly over wifi-n. Haven't tried Netflix but since I cancelled them I am realizing that Netflix streaming isn't really that great. We have found plenty of good stuff on Amazon VOD for "free" (since I was already paying for prime for 2day shipping, etc.).

I am thinking about picking up another Roku 2 XS for $90 now that they are on sale for the holidays this weekend only!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Netflix streaming? Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
Hey Guys,
Anyone have a recommendation for a player? Cost and excellent Netflix integration are most important, under $100 would be excellent, under $150 is probably doable. Wireless connectivity is preferable but wired is also possible.
Erik
you can't go wrong with a Panasonic, Panasonic DMP-BD75 for $79. will stream netflix and play BD as well. I don't see paying $59. or $99. for a Roku box that won't even play a disc. Also seems like Most of the content is pay per view?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BD-75 is great Dragan, and if all you need is BD and Netflix, it's a steal for $60 on Amazon.

But, the Roku does a LOT more (non-BD stuff) than the Panny... Amazon Instant, Hulu, HBO GO, NHL, and if you want music, it's got Pandora and some others, plus you can set up Plex on the Roku box and stream music and video from a Plex server.

So, it just depends on which is more important. With the Panny, you sacrifice a lot of neat streaming and software upgrades to get a BD player. With the Roku, you sacrifice a BD player to get a whole bunch more streaming content, music, and much-more long-term expansion in the form of software updates.

Kinda depends on the room it's going in and what you already have. In some rooms (bedroom, for instance), I have zero interest in a BD player. A Roku or AppleTV is awesome in a bedroom - especially if you store media and shows on a server.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW this thread is over a year old!!

What took you so long to respond Drags?

Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was samchn07 - a spammer from India - that bumped the thread with his worthless comment... Then, Greg chimed in, then Drags, me, and you.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Embarassed
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old, but its a good topic, lol.

I just got my parents an Apple TV for their older HDTV (before they started coming with built-in apps). My parents don't have an interest in Blu Ray, but they don't have cable and dad figured out the Hulu experience on the computer and didn't want to watch movies in front of the computer screen anymore. It is really nice. The remote doesn't get any simpler since the features and selections are on the TV, which leaves the remote to look like an iPod. Highly recemmend for the electronics challenged. I've also had a great experience with the Boxie Box.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
I know this thread is old, but its a good topic, lol.
x.
it's definitely a good topic and it will be relevant for as long as we like to watch stuff
Steve said a Roku was great for a bedroom, so I'm guessing the quality here is not top notch? I don't watch TV in my bedroom anyway, but I'm looking for something new in my HT . I'm pretty fed up with block-busters disc exchange. They have NOTHING in stock ever. I usually wind up getting something I don't want just to go to the store and exchange it. How lame is that?
How do I stream the best quality HBO and "non block-buster" movies with decent quality into the Theater? Is Roku and Amazon on demand still the best way?
I can still rent a hard-disc for the really great movies like the Hobbit but what's a good and affordable solution for Game of thrones, sons of anarchy, falling skies, etc.? HELP Very Happy
View user's photo album (2 photos)
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueray players connect to specific websites via wifi. Ps3 can surf and play Blueray. Right so far? So Bluray players that surf? Are we there yet or should I hold off buying a new Blueray player? Maybe just buy the PS3?

No point being pessimistic; it probably would't work anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: