Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to Wipe a hard drive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ecrabb wrote:
dturco wrote:
Only now I have another issue to deal with the re-installation dvd won't except the product key from the windows key sticker on the computers tower.

That's weird if you're truly using the restore disc that came with the computer. Are you certain you're typing in the key exactly and correctly? It's kind of tricky unless you look really closely - G's, 6's, 8's, and zeros can all look similar, never mind some of the letters. The damn things are so hard to read, on our office machines, I photocopy the sticker off the bottom of the computer at 200% before I do an install. Yes, I'm getting old.

dturco wrote:
I'm starting to feel like smashing this POS. And getting an APPLE.

That's always an option. Wink

dturco wrote:
Are you saying I can download Ubuntu to my computer I'm working on right now, with out screwing up what works on it now, then transfer the program to the screwed up Dell?

Yes. You download the image of an installation CD/DVD on your working computer just like you would download anything else, then you burn that image to a CD/DVD, and use that CD/DVD to install on the non-running computer.

SC

Are these reinstall discs "tied" to each machine? I bought 2 at once and if you remember some time back the other hard drive turned into a grinder. I only kept one reinstall disc. I thought it would work on any dell 4600.

Oh and I did try to use the other product key code from the grinder one also no dice that way either.

I think I am screwed.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
dturco wrote:
Only now I have another issue to deal with the re-installation dvd won't except the product key from the windows key sticker on the computers tower.

That's weird if you're truly using the restore disc that came with the computer. Are you certain you're typing in the key exactly and correctly? It's kind of tricky unless you look really closely - G's, 6's, 8's, and zeros can all look similar, never mind some of the letters. The damn things are so hard to read, on our office machines, I photocopy the sticker off the bottom of the computer at 200% before I do an install. Yes, I'm getting old.

dturco wrote:
I'm starting to feel like smashing this POS. And getting an APPLE.

That's always an option. Wink

dturco wrote:
Are you saying I can download Ubuntu to my computer I'm working on right now, with out screwing up what works on it now, then transfer the program to the screwed up Dell?

Yes. You download the image of an installation CD/DVD on your working computer just like you would download anything else, then you burn that image to a CD/DVD, and use that CD/DVD to install on the non-running computer.

SC

Are these reinstall discs "tied" to each machine? I bought 2 at once and if you remember some time back the other hard drive turned into a grinder. I only kept one reinstall disc. I thought it would work on any dell 4600.

Oh and I did try to use the other product key code from the grinder one also no dice that way either.

I think I am screwed.

The key has to at least be valid..if it isn't the right format something is funny...are you sure you have the right key that matches the correct version of Windows? You can't use an XP key for Vista.

I have re-used keys several times and it will accept it with a note saying you need to call in to update your key...you tell them the story and they give you a new key over the phone. Easy.

If you want Ubuntu...dont' even worry about a CD....just grab a 1gb or 2gb USB stick and go that route...a few easy steps from the Ubuntu website and you are ready to roll. And if you are super geeky you can carry that USB stick around with you at all times ( Razz )
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the manufacture diagnostics disk (down load) and write zeros (0) to the drive. In my case, it cleaned the hd; completely.

It takes a couple hours.

wallace

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

If you want Ubuntu...dont' even worry about a CD....just grab a 1gb or 2gb USB stick and go that route...a few easy steps from the Ubuntu website and you are ready to roll. And if you are super geeky you can carry that USB stick around with you at all times ( Razz )

How big is a hard drive install of Ubuntu?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

0gb I suppose since you can run it off the USB stick.

Not sure what a full install looks like...it's been a few months. It is very small though (the OS!).
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Not sure what a full install looks like...it's been a few months. It is very small though (the OS!).

got a link to that download? I wanna try it on my EeePC

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how big the size is, but I guess around 1 gig or so. The install disk fits on a CD.

Check my last post for the download page.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

got a link to that download? I wanna try it on my EeePC

I would recommend the lighter Netbook edition...

http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

It says you need a 2gb stick but I am pretty sure I used a 1gb stick before since the ISO is small enough for a CD.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure NOW you tell me after I just downloaded and burnt the other one Laughing ;0-)

All I can find for thumb drives is 15gb around here now. I'll use one of those

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
Have you used both, because I would disagree? Yes, netbook is lighter, but it also has the Unity interface. I still don't know if I like it or not. For those coming from XP, I would say stick with Gnome. That is the default interface on Ubuntu. Also, I would say go with 10.04LTS. I had trouble loading the newer 10.10. The earlier LTS version will be supported for 3 years until 2013, so no worries about be up to date.

If you want small, then go with something like Puppy. I think it is about 100mb in size. I run it in RAM like they recommend.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing circus music as I read some of the replies in this thread. Smile
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Greg,
Have you used both, because I would disagree? Yes, netbook is lighter, but it also has the Unity interface. I still don't know if I like it or not. For those coming from XP, I would say stick with Gnome. That is the default interface on Ubuntu. Also, I would say go with 10.04LTS. I had trouble loading the newer 10.10. The earlier LTS version will be supported for 3 years until 2013, so no worries about be up to date.

If you want small, then go with something like Puppy. I think it is about 100mb in size. I run it in RAM like they recommend.

I tried both desktop and netbook. The netbook version had that annoying bar up the left side. I'm going to play with desktop some more.

CRT.

HD done right!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Greg,

I used netbook edition on my laptop for about three weeks. The interface was snappy and easier to use for my wife.

I agree the standard Ubuntu is fine but for smaller screens the unity interface is better IMO.

I haven't had issues with 10.10 but again...I don't use it everyday.

Plus...I thought Jeremy's netbook was a celeron model...I would think the netbook version would be better for less power...but I can't confirm that.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Greg,

puppy's a dead puppy. No boot on either machine. Any other small Linux's to try?

EDIT: Just tried eeebuntu 3. also didn't work grrrrrrrrr

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you would like the bar. It takes getting used to, which I haven't and I am not sure I want to. For complete beginners, I think Meego might be the easiest to use. Unfortunately I don't think there is a lot of software compiled for it.. For a basic, quick internet OS, Meego might be the way to go. My mom still is having trouble with Netbook and I wish I would have put Meego on there for her.

AR,
How did you try Puppy? I have used it with both a stick and CD. Also, which version did you use? There are about fifty different versions. I think the main one has like four or five. I need to go look it up, as it has been awhile. What I would really like to do is roll my own with Gnome.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I didn't think you would like the bar. It takes getting used to, which I haven't and I am not sure I want to. For complete beginners, I think Meego might be the easiest to use. Unfortunately I don't think there is a lot of software compiled for it.. For a basic, quick internet OS, Meego might be the way to go. My mom still is having trouble with Netbook and I wish I would have put Meego on there for her.

AR,
How did you try Puppy? I have used it with both a stick and CD. Also, which version did you use? There are about fifty different versions. I think the main one has like four or five. I need to go look it up, as it has been awhile. What I would really like to do is roll my own with Gnome.

Keep in mind the EeePC is 800x480 so it's not a matter of getting use to it. There's jut no room for it at all. I'd like to find a web browser that would take a web page and resize it to fit the 800x480 screen instead of having to constantly scroll side to side. It's annoying. That's what it does in XP so I thought I would try Linux to see if I could get around that.

The version of Puppy I tried was lupu_520. I tried putting it on a USB stick and an SD card. Neither would go on either netbook

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a running Puppy, Wary 5 for older hardware. I had to burn the ISO and use the boot from CD drive though. I'll see if I can get it booting off USB or SD card.

BTW I just posted this from Wary 5 in the Sea monkey browser

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now running Puppy Arcade. Interesting but very limited, especially video which is limited to 800x600 24 bpp.

Posting this from "Firedog" browser.

Booting from CD-ROM

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great that you got it running. Last time I played with it, I was running the latest Nvidia driver at a res of 16x12. I forget which version it was, but it was the newer Ubuntu based version.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 tonight. Man it hangs allot and the video player crashes hard.

Think I'll try Fedora ( nee. Redhat )

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: