Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage stabilizer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Monster AVS 2000 Voltage stabilizer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I already have a Monster HTS 3500 surge protector and stumbled across their AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer.
Of course owning something so cool and of this caliper is something in it self, but is it really necessary?
What gear truly benefits from completely stable voltage, what if anything is THAT sensitive??
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this discussion here once. The general consensus was unnecessary crap.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, an Isolation Transformer would be better.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys thats what I figured an impressive looking, but unnecesary, overpriced toy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid paying money for Monster brand. They aren't that special and they charge 3 times what their worth. the only time I ran monster was when I got it for free or when I was in a pinch. (something is better than nothing)

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing from Monster is worth owning. but wait, it has a blue LED, so it's gotta be good. Very Happy
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then who's surge protectors are rack mountable, work good and don't cost hundreds of dollars???
(and don't look like 1970's technology)

I love my Monster 3500 and I think I even have a 3600 lying around. Does its job just fine and I think I picked it up on eBay for around $50 several years ago...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my point: (several in fact Razz)

- how do you know that the Monster unit is doing anything? Unless you live in a place that has random power surges (not failures), and have had multiple pieces of electronics die, you have no idea what the Monster (or any other device) is doing.

-assuming you have relatively clean power incoming, you don't need anything inline with your stereo stuff. Where I live, most of my electronics is on 24/7, and I've got a big UPS on my work computer only to prevent the HD from dumping when the power goes out. In the 15 + years I've had a HT system, I've had one amp fail on me, and that was due to a filter cap giving way on a 30+ year old Phase Linear at 2 AM. It woke me up. Smile Nothing else has ever died, smoked or given out on me.

- There are a bunch of really good posts in the >$20K forum at avs. You'll need to do some digging, but there are some great posts for pro and anti surge protection. If you do indeed have surges, a 'brick wall' type device right at the breaker panel that prevents any lightning strike from getting past the panel. If lightning hits within 1/2 block though, I'd say that even those devices won't stop the mega-joules of a semi direct hit, and other than unplugging stuff from the wall, you're screwed no matter what you do. Smile

-now, if you believe that a power conditioner/surge protector will make your equipment sound better, then you're on your own, as I don't believe a word of those claims. But you can feel free to believe. Wink

-I've repaired a couple of Monster boxes along with some other power bar/surge protectors. All failed due to crappy internal parts used, filter capacitors in the power supply gave out. They didn't die due to a surge taking out the units. I think that in itself speaks volumes. Ha!
wildchild22

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently the monster unit sparks a lot inside as its a wiper that adjusts I am guesiing resistance to provide a constant 120 ac out. I can oonly imagine what would happen if the wiper gave out and instead of decreasing voltage it increased it. I think it will do more harm then good. Most ac in the USA and Canada is very close to 120hz most electronics works as low as 100-110v . So dips do not mater much.

everything or almost everything runs on 12vdv or 5vdv and the 120hz ac is converted to dc. So as long as the AC is high enough to be converted to the required dc it is fine.

I think Monster products are for people who have a need to wasste money. Also good for sales people.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildchild22 wrote:
apparently the monster unit sparks a lot inside as its a wiper that adjusts I am guesiing resistance to provide a constant 120 ac out. .

Seriously? Mechanical AC correction?

Furman did it better. they had a multitap toroid in the unit, and used TRIACS to switch the output up and down one volt at a time.

The only time I saw one blow up is when one TRIAC shorted internally, and that put a dead short on the transformer.
wildchild22

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a photo of the inside not mine. Maybe you can see how it workshttp://www.bukutronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Monster_Power_AVS2000.jpg
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best answer is to add an Isolation transformer to feed a dedicated sub panel box. This will be considered a separate derived power source. Its the cleanest power you can get. I have a 5KV unit i got for 150 bucks on e-bay. This is what the Richard Grey units basically are and charge thousands of dollars for. After installation i removed my Monster 3500 and still have to sell the damn thing.

My ISO Xfrmr weighs 140 pounds just so you can see the difference.

there is a thread in the HT construction forum on this, some debate ensued towards the end but i have had no issues with mine and how it was set up.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a mechanical AC correction, but being mechanical it only works on a slow average. It is not resistive, it is actually a variac with a motor.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildchild22 wrote:
apparently the monster unit sparks a lot inside as its a wiper that adjusts I am guesiing resistance to provide a constant 120 ac out.
Nope. It does not claim to maintain 120 volts. And does not have to. All electronics already do that inside. For example, normal voltage for all electronics is incandescent bulbs at 50% intensity. Or read labels from every portable electronic appliance. Normal voltage is anywhere from 90 VAC to 265 VAC. So what exactly would the Monster do? Hype myths to the naive who forgot to demand numbers.

Will that magic box stop what three miles of sky could not? Of course not. Surge protectors that are actually part of a surge protection 'system' make such surges irrelevant. Even direct lightning strikes are earthed by a 'whole house' protector - without damage even to the protector.

But is nothing is damaged, then how do you know surge protection exists? Exactly. Those who are most easily deceived recommend protectors that fail. Those who install effective surge protection do not even know a surge existed. Which is why the informed recommend earthing and a 'whole house' protector. And why the most easily deceived recommend 'magic box' plug-in solutions.

See that Furman that can makes minor 'one volt' adjustments? Meanwhile, how often are your incandescent bulbs changing intensity by 50%? So what does the Furman do? Create a "straw man" problem. Then invent a solution for it - with an obscene profit margin.

What must be protected? Plug-in protectors do absolutely nothing until that 120 volts exceeds 300 volts. Read numbers from its box. It also does not claim to protect from the type of surge that actually does damage. Read numbers from the manufacturer spec sheet.

What exactly must you protect from? Solutions without first defining the problem are when scammers come out in force.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westom wrote:

Will that magic box stop what three miles of sky could not?

That's the line of the week I think.

New marketing campaign for Monster:

Our surge protector blocks what 3 miles of sky could not. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: