Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

screen width to seating distance ration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: screen width to seating distance ration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
THX has a 40degree recommendation or ratio of 1.37 - so for a seating distance of 8' (96") the screen width would be only 70"

that seems small, and i've been told here that it is small.

what is the screen width to seating distance ratio in your theater? if you have multiple rows, then what is it in your favourite seat?

cheerLance

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, the 40-degrees specification has to do with digital displays and seeing pixels. If the viewing angle gets much larger than 40-degrees, the chances of seeing pixels or screen door starts to shoot up for people with normal vision. At 50-degrees, a lot of people might see pixels even on a 1080p display.

For commercial cinema on the other hand, the 36-degree viewing angle is a minimum. In other words, the worst seat in the house should, at the minimum, have a 36-degree viewing angle.

If you think about it, many commercial cinemas' front rows are less than 20 feet from a 30-40-foot wide screen, so viewing angles approach or exceed 90 degrees, while the vast majority of the rest of the seats in the house all have viewing angles that far exceed 40-degrees!

I like a (visually) large screen and immersive image, so I sit 9-10 feet from my 8-foot wide screen (depending on whether I'm reclining or not), so 43-48 degree viewing angle for my seat. I LOVE IT. I love the immersion... I'm involved in the picture. That's what cinema, and by extension home theater, is all about, right? A big screen! The whole "tennis match" thing is totally over-rated, IMHO.

My back row is about six feet further back, or 15-16 feet, or about 28-30 degrees viewing angle. It still looks fine, but it's much less involving, and I would hate that kind of viewing angle for my main viewing position. You need a pretty big room and pretty big screen to start to accommodate THX specs for multiple rows in a home theater.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the theatre, aka livingroom, I sit at 10.5'/126" only because I'm limited by space, things can't physically get farther apart. As a result I'm throwing a 7'(84") wide/8'(96") diag image. I think it's perfect, I don't like being closer.

So, my ratio is 1.31-1.5 depending on the screen measurement you use.

Now, that being said my father's theatre with the 9500LC has an 8' wide screen and I personally like the picture WAY better sitting in the back raised row about 16' from the screen. I feel like I'm in a theatre, with a black tunnel and big screen in the end. I don't like the screen in my face, too much light, too much going on and hard to get it all in. The same reason I don't sit near the front in an actual theatre. Always, when I can, sit 3/4 way up dead center.

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i'm in a commercial theater, i usually sit so that the screen size is "pinky finger to pinky finger plus a palm" thumbs touching, fingers splayed at arms length. pretty consistent. that comes out biger that the THX. about 1.1:1 or so.

realizing (thanks SC) that the THX 1.40:1 is meant to be the *worst* that you'll have explains a lot. i bet that at the back of the theater that's what you get.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
when i'm in a commercial theater, i usually sit so that the screen size is "pinky finger to pinky finger plus a palm" thumbs touching, fingers splayed at arms length. pretty consistent. that comes out biger that the THX. about 1.1:1 or so.

I like to sit in that spot in the theater, too! That is PRECISELY how I figured out an eight-foot wide screen would work well for me in my room, and yes - it absolutely does work out to the 1.1-1.2x screen-widths ballpark.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife has figured out my "stretching" that i do whenever we sit down in a theater. and here i thought i was being subtle.

Very Happy

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front row center!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to sit where the hell I want to in my theater. THX be damned. If it coincides, cool. If it doesn't, I'm not losing sleep over it. As long as I can personally determine the threshold at which I can see pixel structure then I know where I'll be comfortable at.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah, i'm going to where i want Smile

i was just curious why the THX std seemed so small.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I prefer to sit where the hell I want to in my theater. THX be damned. If it coincides, cool. If it doesn't, I'm not losing sleep over it. As long as I can personally determine the threshold at which I can see pixel structure then I know where I'll be comfortable at.

So, what viewing angle have you found you like Wan?

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting 13' back. The 10' screen in 2.4 aspect (37.6º) and 7.4' screen in 1.78 (29.7º). It was funny when a friend of the wife revealed she has motion sickness issues and I happen to put in I, robot for the demo. Oops Very Happy

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:

realizing (thanks SC) that the THX 1.40:1 is meant to be the *worst* that you'll have explains a lot. i bet that at the back of the theater that's what you get.

Can I get a photoshop sketch of this pinky bit? It ain't registering. Question

Oh and I sit 128" from a 104" wide 1:78.1 screen.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dturco"]
zaphod wrote:

Can I get a photoshop sketch of this pinky bit? It ain't registering. Question

sure, here's a fine example of my artists skills in MS-paint Smile this ratio of spread fingers to screen is at arms length.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: