Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I'm buying a DIGITAL PJ... Seeking suggestions...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: I'm buying a DIGITAL PJ... Seeking suggestions... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I want a Digital not to replace my CRT but for a different purpose.

I want a PJ that i can use to host a "super Bowl" type party. So it need to be bright. I prefer a LCD/ LCOS to a dlp.
Youse guys know I'm a SONY guy so a Sony would be good as well.

Also i'd LIKE to be under 2 k...

Thanks!!!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm buying a DIGITAL PJ... Seeking suggestions... Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
I want a Digital not to replace my CRT but for a different purpose.

I want a PJ that i can use to host a "super Bowl" type party. So it need to be bright. I prefer a LCD/ LCOS to a dlp.
Youse guys know I'm a SONY guy so a Sony would be good as well.

Also i'd LIKE to be under 2 k...

Thanks!!!

Under $2k, LCOS and Sony isn't going to happen unless you buy used but why would you?

I would go with Panny 4000 or Epson 8700 UB for LCD variety.

If you just want it for Super Bowl just get a cheap DLP and put up with it.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go super cheap yet still get lots of bang for the buck I picked up a little $500 720p Acer that will do 3D with an HTPC. Since the Superbowl is 720P anyway I'm not sure 1080p would get you much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223&Tpk=acer%20h5360

It's $549 now Newegg had a $50 off promo code a few weeks ago.

Just to clear for 2D the XG is what I use. I'm not sure I can ever give up total FTB.

2D is decent...You might see rainbow now and then...3D is stunning for the price and RBE is rare to see in 3D mode with zero ghosting.

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said. I bought a Marantz dlp and it is super bright with litttle RBE. If you want LCOS, then you will have to go used. If it is just for the Super Bowl, then buy a RS40 and sell it afterwards.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to spend $2K on a one-time event? Even if that event is annually, seems like spending above $1K on something that isn't meant for large venues is a waste--but some of us has that disposable income. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Why would anyone want to spend $2K on a one-time event? Even if that event is annually, seems like spending above $1K on something that isn't meant for large venues is a waste--but some of us has that disposable income. Smile

It depends...Perhaps John is having a house full of his Avatars over for the game.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I just have to say I gave in to the wife's nagging, well maybe more of the "do we have to have that large thing over our heads" comments. I only have it for the living-room the theater still has the barcos. I bought the Epson 3500, for what it is it has a very nice picture, better than the digitals I started with. We have put 250 hours on it since thanksgiving, for where I have it and what we are using it for it works out very nicely.

Thats just my 2 cents worth.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the panasonic AE4000. It's about $2k right now and set one up for a friend. Looked great for the money.

Dale
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

It's not a one timer... I like to have the guys come by for

Super bowl
NBA Playoffs
NhL Finals
Daytona... You know...

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
WanMan wrote:

It depends...Perhaps John is having a house full of his Avatars over for the game.

Mike

I wish!!! Embarassed

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
John, I just have to say I gave in to the wife's nagging, well maybe more of the "do we have to have that large thing over our heads" comments. I only have it for the living-room the theater still has the barcos. I bought the Epson 3500, for what it is it has a very nice picture, better than the digitals I started with. We have put 250 hours on it since thanksgiving, for where I have it and what we are using it for it works out very nicely.

Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Epson 3500... is it bright enough to use in a not dark room???

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
If you want to go super cheap yet still get lots of bang for the buck I picked up a little $500 720p Acer that will do 3D with an HTPC. Since the Superbowl is 720P anyway I'm not sure 1080p would get you much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223&Tpk=acer%20h5360

It's $549 now Newegg had a $50 off promo code a few weeks ago.

Just to clear for 2D the XG is what I use. I'm not sure I can ever give up total FTB.

2D is decent...You might see rainbow now and then...3D is stunning for the price and RBE is rare to see in 3D mode with zero ghosting.

Mike

That acer is looking kinda nice...

2500 lumens, 500 bucks , 720p

hmmm....

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to try 3D games on the little bastard, but haven't had a chance yet.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:

That is one of the things that I doo like. The wife likes to have the window on the front door uncovered. That being said I have no problem watching anything at any time.

Of course when you remove all of the light it looks better. I have been running it in eco mode the whole time because it is really too bright otherwise. I am running the same size screen that I was when I was using the nec 6pg, 92".

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:

That is one of the things that I doo like. The wife likes to have the window on the front door uncovered. That being said I have no problem watching anything at any time.

Of course when you remove all of the light it looks better. I have been running it in eco mode the whole time because it is really too bright otherwise. I am running the same size screen that I was when I was using the nec 6pg, 92".

Are you talking about the EH-TW3500?

bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John, I had the model totally wrong. Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 I found it at BB for $1299.

Benjamin Franklin
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Acer monitors are complete crap, one of the worst built. No idea about their projectors, but beware..
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Mike

I wish!!! Embarassed

invite me when that happens.

i couldnt care less for the super bowl or whatever, i dont even know what sport it is.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the Epson LCDs at Cedia, but that would probably be a good bet for you. Since this is for sports and such along with ambient light, then high lumens is one of your most important criteria. In this environment 720p seems to have less downside than normal. You might also want to go over to the hometheatershack and check out one of their formulas for a screen.
-Pjackso

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're talking digital, what's the consensus on Front Projection vs Rear Projection?

My Brother just bought a rear projection TV (55~ish"). He can watch it anytime with windows open and daylight shining in the room. The blacks isn't inky, but it's plenty good enough. Same for video quality. Viewing angle (height) was my only critique, but when sitting on the couch - no problem.
...Other than shear size, it really made me question all my CRT hassles.

Mitsubishi make a few rear projection units up to 82". (TV is 73.2" x 48.5") How much bigger do you (we) need?
I realize the front projection units CAN go bigger, but we are who we are, ...tweakers. You'll be dealing with screen size, screen material, ambient light, upscalers, video wires, this thing-a-ma-bob or another.

Rear Projection doesn't have as much flexibility, which isn't always a bad thing. Plug, play, and watch.
In my opinion, (due to ambient light) front projectors may not have the perceived-blacks that rear projection TVs have.

There's no real question here, other than ...have you considered a rear projection unit?
I'd be interested in your comments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: