Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Everything you want to know about Frankenyokes in one shot!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'll look into that. Thanks.

But, first things first. Get the static focus in the right ballpark.

Please check me on this: With the stock yokes, what is the focus value at which the central focus should be the same as if you
unplug the focus yoke? I can't remember if it's supposed to be above or below 50, only that it should not be right at 50.

With the yoke unplugged, static focus should be slightly soft. That much I remember. But by how much?

I figure that the best possible way to optimize these things is to start by calibrating the coil magnets first, then calibrating the dynamic coil,
then the static coil.

Apparently the astig windings in the 1292 yokes are compatible with the Marquee astig circuitry. This seems to be adequately effective.

Probably due to the longer 1292 yoke housing, the CPC rings seem to be slightly less effective than with the Thomson yokes.

I'm almost tempted to install a flare ring set in front of the new focus yoke to help with centering. Being way forward on the neck,
it should be pretty effective. Maybe too much so.

CJ
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found every Stock Focus yolk is different. Some were under focused some almost perfect and some over focused. This was confined later by connecting them and having to increase focus, or lower it or hardly touch it. This is why they have Individual RGB focus in the service menus. Almost impossible to keep the strength of the magnets the same on all three focus packs.

The Astig windings in the KD coils have almost the same inductance as the marquee's Thompson coils.

I actually found the magnets in the Barco packs better than the ones in the sony packs.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you end up with as your final static and dynamic coil inductance values, after adjustments?

CJ
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the stack marquee values. But never tested further.

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a little question to CJ: Is it possible to restore the now missing pictures at the beginning of the thread?
I wanted to go through all of it in order to understand what You guys are doing here...

Thank You!

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm now working with these again, for the short term, anyway, yes, I can make some new pics and put them up.
BUT, I would recommend that anyone who wants them for reference should save copies of them.

More information on my current status with the experimental yoke on the green tube:

Setting user focus to 50, I checked the static focus value that gives best focus and it was only about 60, which I think is quite good. I'm running 27 uH on
the static focus coil.

I inverted the polarity of the dynamic coil and the results did not change: The edges are well out of focus with a value of zero and from there as you ramp up the value it only gets MORE out of focus.

Unplugging the focus coil at this point brings the edges into commendably sharp focus and takes the center out of focus by about 10 points.

So, then I tried disconnecting the dynamic coil by pulling the green and purple leads out of the connector and leaving only the static coil in operation,
hoping that I could then get good focus everywhere.

I do have that right, don't I? The center two leads in the focus coil are the static focus coil leads?

Well, that wasn't helpful. I couldn't get good focus ANYWHERE with the dynamic coil disconnected.

I'm satisfied that the static coil is about right. I'll take the dynamic coil down some turns next and see what happens.
It seems to be overpowering, for its job.

What I AM seeing here is that the range of focus available is much larger than with the stock yokes, and once focused, it is
stable and holds sharpness at high contrast levels. This alone makes the mod worth the effort even if it will not yield better
focus than the stock yokes.

Of course there is no centering ability with these yokes. But it appears that they put the image well in the center to begin with
so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

The reduced effectiveness of the CPC rings (as they're now farther back and less effective) makes me think about modding the yoke
housings after I've got the coil values sorted out. I might even use Thomson yoke housings, modified as need be in order to work
with these. If they'll fit at all, that is.

What we're doing is simply swapping the mediocre stock Thomson yokes out of a Marquee and putting in superior Kanto-Denshi designed yokes,
which poses certain problems but also holds the promise of better, sharper, and more stable focus than the Thomson yokes can deliver.

There are a number of K-D yoke variants and not all of them are suitable for the upgrade but some are. The ones out of a Sony VPH-1292 are
sought after for this purpose, as are the yokes found in some higher end Barco projectors.

For a Marquee 8000 or 8110, you'd want yokes that only have focus coils. For the 8500 and 9500, you'd want yokes that have static and dynamic
focus coils and astig windings as well.

The potential for picture improvement is considerable. Long ago, my initial experiements using a lowly 8000 yielded focused images on the CRT face
that were sharper than the resolution ability of the HD-8B lenses to resolve. Speaking purely of what I could get on the CRT face, I was getting respectable
contrast between black and white bars (high MTF values, but how high I can't say) with the test pattern running at 2048x1536 and anamorphically squeezed,
which would equate to 2048x2048 in 4x3 full frame. The refresh rate wasn't really high and it couldn't be, because of limitations in the video amplifier
chain's bandwidth, but it did work.

I've been lazy about actually completing this project even for myself. But I'm working on it now and intend to see it through until I either achieve success or
give uo and go back to the stock yokes.

CJ
tse

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauss of the permanent magnet is very important. If the static current is at 0 (disconnect one of the wires of the static winding) the image should focus about 1/4 of the way from the sides. If it is not pretty near that the magnet gauss is off. The dynamic focus current is parabolic in shape and is cap coupled to the dynamic winding so there is equal charge both negative and positive. Connection of the static winding shifts the gauss down (decreases the gauss) to the point where the center is in focus. If you have a variable current power supply you can connect to the different windings and find the current that is needed for focus in the different areas. Remember, the horizontal dynamic focus is for the center of the left and right sides and the vertical dynamic focus is for the center of the top and bottom edges not the corners.

Scott

Focus.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.91 KB
 Viewed:  12182 Time(s)

Focus.gif

Thomas Jefferson
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, the yokes I'm working with are the ones that we ran through your gaussing rig about a year ago, at a guess. They magnetized to the right gauss range to be useful. That part, I think is fine.

With the focus plug disconnected, the point of best focus is right about where you say it should be.

I have not yet had a chance to adjust the dynamic winding. I think it's just way too hot and I need to take some turns off it.

As long as I have your attention, is VDC ready to dispose of any of the specialized items associated with Marquee manufacture yet, including parts
inventory of parts that are rarely if ever ordered as replacements?

CJ
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried a static 1292 focus yoke with the PJ I am building to see if it does any better than the focus yokes from the BG808s. I have Sony 9" tubes in a BG808s.

I tried the red and green tubes only as I am not too concerned about blue.

The red tube showed a definite improvement in the centre of the image (where you would expect) but the green was no better.
The 1292 yokes seem to operate in the reverse to the barco units. The 1292 focus better the closer to the deflection yoke and the barco units focus better further away. That was the trouble with green as the focus got better the closer to the deflection yoke and you hit the deflection yoke before its as sharp as the red with the 1292 yoke.

I have read through this thread a couple of times but it doesn't quite go where I need it to.
I was thinking of removing the coils from the barco focus yoke and putting them into the 1292 yoke. The units are physically almost the the same from the outside but would this work does anyone have any advice?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wont work electronically. Also Barco reverses the magnet structure on the green so the North and south are 180 degrees from the red and blue coils.

This mod is basically only for a marquee as their focus coils are totally different in design than all other yokes which mostly use the Kanto Denshi design.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
They wont work electronically. Also Barco reverses the magnet structure on the green so the North and south are 180 degrees from the red and blue coils.

This mod is basically only for a marquee as their focus coils are totally different in design than all other yokes which mostly use the Kanto Denshi design.

Athanasios

Thanks for the input. I am happy to not play around if its a waste of time.
So are you saying the Barco electronics will not manage the magnetic field produced by the Sony mangnets? If thats the case I see the point and its not going to work. Electrically they would have to work as the coils come from a Barco.

So how do the marquee electronics handle the magnetic field of the Ampro and other brands or are these all similar in field strength?
bpdski

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Molex connectors Reply with quote

I recently acquired a set of Frankenyokes and was interested in putting Molex connectors on them without sacrificing my original Thompsons. I figure if I run into trouble or they don't work right I can put the originals back in my 9500. This also allows me to hopefully minimize the time my projector is out of service by having the new yokes ready to go. I was able to find the correct parts after doing some searching and wanted to post the links here in case anyone else would this useful.

Here are the 4 and 6 pin housings
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=09-50-8040virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-09-50-8040
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=09-50-8060virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-09-50-8060

Here are the crimp pins that go in the housings, I would buy a few extra
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=08-52-0125virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-08-52-0125

I've attached a picture of my yokes as well, I got fancy and put color coded wire braid over each harness. The other wires in my projector have these too. They look nice and keep wires from getting pinched Smile

Frankenyoke_Cables.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.59 KB
 Viewed:  11902 Time(s)

Frankenyoke_Cables.jpg

htguy1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there a thread somewhere which has the most update assembly and setup instructions for this mod? Saw a 4k JVC and decieded its STILL not worth the money cause our PQ is still right there with them in many aspects.

Thanks

God bless...
Mark
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this page has the Frankenyoke Wiring.doc

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=420

From what I read this version should be ok for the 1292 yokes in a 9500?

I understand that these yokes with the correct wiring should not be modified or changed in direction on the tube? I attached the doc.

Frankenyoke Wiring.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Frankenyoke Wiring.doc
 Filesize:  32.5 KB
 Downloaded:  329 Time(s)

htguy1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just realized that i have ksd26 yokes for my frankenyoke project anyone have info for using these?

Thanks

God bless...
mark
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, guys. I'm back, at least for a little while.

I've decided it's time to once again take a shot at trying to still further optimize my yokes. I've actually been running the stock yokes for some time but decided that since I have to do some bellows and glycol replacement (got murky in two tubes, plus a slow leak in one) that I would go ahead and finish out this long-dormant project while I'm at it.

My goal is to optimize one set of yokes specifically for best performance at 1080p-60Hz.

I recall that when I wound my test yokes, I had used the calculated values for it and the yokes ended up being TOO powerful for the job. So I started to take turns off the windings. I abandoned the project before I'd found the ideal values.

I intend to take another shot at it and this time at least complete the experiment with one yoke to start, and if I can get it to deliver optimal results, measure its parameters and then publish them here. And adapt two more to the same specs.

At that time I'll then offer out my stock of spare candidate yokes and parts to someone who's interested in them.

I only want and need one good set of them. Pass the rest on to somebody else for playing.
htguy1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
Guys, based on the discussion so far, I have updated my drawing. Please review and verify.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

when you say ground one wire on those two unused coils, do you mean ground it to the chassy? Or?

THanks,

God bless...
mark
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Hi again, guys. I'm back, at least for a little while.

I've decided it's time to once again take a shot at trying to still further optimize my yokes. I've actually been running the stock yokes for some time but decided that since I have to do some bellows and glycol replacement (got murky in two tubes, plus a slow leak in one) that I would go ahead and finish out this long-dormant project while I'm at it.

My goal is to optimize one set of yokes specifically for best performance at 1080p-60Hz.

I recall that when I wound my test yokes, I had used the calculated values for it and the yokes ended up being TOO powerful for the job. So I started to take turns off the windings. I abandoned the project before I'd found the ideal values.

I intend to take another shot at it and this time at least complete the experiment with one yoke to start, and if I can get it to deliver optimal results, measure its parameters and then publish them here. And adapt two more to the same specs.

At that time I'll then offer out my stock of spare candidate yokes and parts to someone who's interested in them.

I only want and need one good set of them. Pass the rest on to somebody else for playing.

After reading most of this thread I am still confused in what works. Perhaps the conclusion is that nothing works as you still use the standard Thomson yokes?

Could you give some kind of a summary on the results with the different yokes.

-sony 1292 yokes and the astig rings of marquee I think that works perfect?
-sony g90 yokes there are troubles
-barco 909 yokes with the astig rings of barco I think Mike Parker has that working but you did not get edge focus right?

Thanks.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with any Barco yokes that had astig windings.

I've been focusing only (pardon the pun) on 1292 type yokes in fairly recent times. I think they have the best chance
of becoming truly optimal (and available) of any I've tried yet.

If it's a big fat yoke with the 9 pin modular connector on it, it's probably worth trying. Check static focus first.
It should give close to good focus with it just sitting there on the neck and connected to nothing. As TSE said.
Refer to his notes for the raw truth about where static focus SHOULD be.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have here Sony 1292 yokes and I have Barco 809 yokes that are for 9 inch tubes but only 4 pole astig. I am thinking about trying these Barco first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37
Jump to: