Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New Moome box and Pioneer Elite Recievers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rks

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: New Moome box and Pioneer Elite Recievers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the following setup in my theatre

Sony Blu-Ray Player (It's a BDP-N430 or something like that, can't recall the exact numbers)
Xbox 360s
Direct TV HDR-21

these are all switched by a Pioneer Elite SC-35 Receiver feeding a Sony G90 projector with an early Moome DVI card in it. Rather than wait for the new Moome card I decided to get the outboard box and utilise the high quality VGA cable from the rack to the projector to see if I could get it 1080p (The previous setup got green snow and dim view when run in 1080p, but 1080i looked fine)

The result is running straight from the xbox and the blu-ray player to the moome box all works well, no problems at all. The DTV box doesn't sync at all, but my HR22 in another room seems to sync okay so I'm guessing I have some weird revision that isn't playing nice, and I'll ignore that for now.

However when I run everything into the pioneer it's really inconsistent. Sometimes it'll sync, but mostly it just won't grab a lock. Every once in a while it'll throw an HDCP error on the pioneer display, but mostly the HDMI sync lights just don't come on. The moome box shows a green LED on the port the HDMI cable is plugged into.

A local friend has the same box (we both got them in the last week or two) and he took mine home and swapped them, and it seems to work just fine in his setup leading me to believe the box isn't bad but instead it's some issue between the pioneer and the box.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thank you,

-R
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Moome box and Pioneer Elite Recievers Reply with quote

rks wrote:
I have the following setup in my theatre

Sony Blu-Ray Player (It's a BDP-N430 or something like that, can't recall the exact numbers)
Xbox 360s
Direct TV HDR-21

these are all switched by a Pioneer Elite SC-35 Receiver feeding a Sony G90 projector with an early Moome DVI card in it. Rather than wait for the new Moome card I decided to get the outboard box and utilise the high quality VGA cable from the rack to the projector to see if I could get it 1080p (The previous setup got green snow and dim view when run in 1080p, but 1080i looked fine)

The result is running straight from the xbox and the blu-ray player to the moome box all works well, no problems at all. The DTV box doesn't sync at all, but my HR22 in another room seems to sync okay so I'm guessing I have some weird revision that isn't playing nice, and I'll ignore that for now.

However when I run everything into the pioneer it's really inconsistent. Sometimes it'll sync, but mostly it just won't grab a lock. Every once in a while it'll throw an HDCP error on the pioneer display, but mostly the HDMI sync lights just don't come on. The moome box shows a green LED on the port the HDMI cable is plugged into.

A local friend has the same box (we both got them in the last week or two) and he took mine home and swapped them, and it seems to work just fine in his setup leading me to believe the box isn't bad but instead it's some issue between the pioneer and the box.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thank you,

-R

Like the Denon AVRs in the recent past, periodically on this forum as well, various models of Pioneer receivers have been mentioned as also showing some inconsistency with the stability of the video connection with not only the Moome but the Fury as well. That is why I personally have stayed away from either of these manufacturers AVRs. There seems to be something with their HDMI configuration and their internal video processing which is quite finnicky with any attached converters or outboard processing and no one seems to know exactly why. In fact, I can recall reading in one of the Pioneer AVRs manuals warning about this very issue . For some reason, it seems sometimes the Pioneer AVRs don't want to "play nice" with anything plugged in between it and the display. Of course, there very well may be others with Denon and Pioneer equipment that have no problems at all. That is just the nature of HDMI connections.

Although it is in the Denon family, I found the Marantz products(and I am sure there are others), with their simpler video scaling system, seems to provide a cleaner video signal path which doesn't interfere with either the Moome or Fury and the picture remains stable. Unfortunately, it seems you kind of found out the hard way.
rks

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently my SC-35 is working with an earlier moome dvi card, does this mean I'd have more success with the newer g90 card instead of the outboard module?
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rks wrote:
Currently my SC-35 is working with an earlier moome dvi card, does this mean I'd have more success with the newer g90 card instead of the outboard module?

Not sure. Whereas DVI only passed video, HDMI, of course, handles both video AND audio in and out of your AVR and this still may have something to do with the dropouts you are experiencing. Perhaps Moome might want to get in on this since, they test the converters with various equipment before they are released for sale and hopefully, he can answer your question.
rks

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome has been in contact with me, and at this point is looking into the problem. For right now however it's happening on both my SC-35 and my SC-25 (Might be a 27) so I wouldn't recommend using it with Pioneer Recievers. I have every confidence they'll find a fix though!
rks

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: fixed! Reply with quote

Adding a jumper on J4 appears to have solved my problem. This stops the auto-detect from occuring for the inputs which isn't necessary anyway, and now my reciever seems to be working!

Yeah!

-R
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: