Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Guess what type of PJ in this $28Million $ home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Guess what type of PJ in this $28Million $ home Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Scroll down about 1/2 way through the blog post to see the HT set-up
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/is_this_the_most_luxurious_home_in_toronto/
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else wondering if the CRT is putting out enough light for that screen?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen looks like it's only about 3 seats wide. It might not be all that big.
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks curved is it anamorphic?
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man what a boring house, no charm or comfort to it. Looks like a hotel or club. As one poster said "this home wasn't shocking to me at all. It's too plain and drab in my opinion."

All that money and they couldn't splurge on a nice Barco Digital Cinema projector.

irridion

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is wasted on the rich, youth on the young...But seriously, 28million!! (Canadian dollars) Hopefully if they get the asking price they can buy some sense... Razz
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G70, baby!!!

garyfritz wrote:
The screen looks like it's only about 3 seats wide. It might not be all that big.

Yep. I'd say 8-9 feet wide... Maybe 10 judging by the media cases below the screen.

irridion wrote:
it looks curved is it anamorphic?

Nope, not curved. It's hard to ascertain the aspect ratio because the wide-angle lens is distorting the image in the horizontal direction at the edges. See how the front-right chair-back looks about twice as wide as the front-left chair back? Based on that, I'd guess it's just 16:9 and not scope.

I agree with the comments on the house, though... Pretty drab architecturally... Like a big, ostentatious, $28-mil version of a million-dollar McMansion as opposed to something truly designed to be luxurious, unique, etc.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Money Razz
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez...Could they use a wider lens for all of those shots? It really gives a false impression of size.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it looks drab but it does look like a hotel for sure.

I think it would be tough to spend $28mil on a house and still make it feel like a home...just too big or extravagent for my tastes...I would rather have $1mil house and $27mil in land.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg... I totally agree with what you're saying in principal, but dude... A million ain't that much for a house these days... You start with a decent-sized - say 4,000 sq ft or so - then, start throwing some cool construction technology, high efficiency, nice architectural details and lots of nice materials and custom finishes, and you can blow through a million in no time. I mean, a pretty basic house that size will cost you more than half a mil for just above-average materials and finish - like what you'd find in my part of Iowa - never mind on the coasts.

I guess if we're talking dream houses, then I'd be probably talking somewhere in the 2-3 mil ballpark, plus land. I'd love all the neat things you could do with that kind of money... Super-cool building technology like solar and geothermal, automation, 4+ car garage(s), workshop, workout room, craft room, office(s), wine cellar, plenty of storage, and rooms that are spacious, but not so large it feels like a hotel lobby.

Something like this is along the lines of what my dream house would look like (the specs, not necessarily the aesthetic):
http://iowarealty.com/buying/detail_ml.asp?list_numb=371270

But, just like you're talking about, it's a really nice 2-million dollar house on a $300,000 suburban lot right next to a bunch of other suburban houses... If I were going to drop 2-mil on a house, I damn sure wouldn't put it on a lot 50-feet from another house. I'd put it on at least a dozen or so acres with a couple-hundred-foot drive from the road, and you wouldn't have and neighbors. Wink

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Greg... I totally agree with what you're saying in principal, but dude... A million ain't that much for a house these days... You start with a decent-sized - say 4,000 sq ft or so - then, start throwing some cool construction technology, high efficiency, nice architectural details and lots of nice materials and custom finishes, and you can blow through a million in no time. I mean, a pretty basic house that size will cost you more than half a mil for just above-average materials and finish - like what you'd find in my part of Iowa - never mind on the coasts.

I guess if we're talking dream houses, then I'd be probably talking somewhere in the 2-3 mil ballpark, plus land. I'd love all the neat things you could do with that kind of money... Super-cool building technology like solar and geothermal, automation, 4+ car garage(s), workshop, workout room, craft room, office(s), wine cellar, plenty of storage, and rooms that are spacious, but not so large it feels like a hotel lobby.

Something like this is along the lines of what my dream house would look like (the specs, not necessarily the aesthetic):
http://iowarealty.com/buying/detail_ml.asp?list_numb=371270

But, just like you're talking about, it's a really nice 2-million dollar house on a $300,000 suburban lot right next to a bunch of other suburban houses... If I were going to drop 2-mil on a house, I damn sure wouldn't put it on a lot 50-feet from another house. I'd put it on at least a dozen or so acres with a couple-hundred-foot drive from the road, and you wouldn't have and neighbors. Wink

SC

Ok...maybe 2mil...but definitely the majority on land and other features around the property...pond, boat house, machine sheds, trails, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'd love all the neat things you could do with that kind of money... Super-cool building technology like solar and geothermal, automation, 4+ car garage(s), workshop, workout room, craft room, office(s), wine cellar....

You forgot brewery (electric of course). Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Ok...maybe 2mil...but definitely the majority on land and other features around the property...pond, boat house, machine sheds, trails, etc.

Sure, I could go along with that. Wink A couple mil on the house, and a couple mil on the property, landscaping, pond, and hell yes - a nice building "over yonder" with a full shop. That would rock.

kal wrote:
You forgot brewery (electric of course). Wink

OMG, how could I have forgotten that?!?!!?

SC
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTREE wrote:
Man what a boring house, no charm or comfort to it. Looks like a hotel or club. As one poster said "this home wasn't shocking to me at all. It's too plain and drab in my opinion."

All that money and they couldn't splurge on a nice Barco Digital Cinema projector.

I couldn't agree more. How impersonal can a house get? Man it's even themed impartial/non-commital beige all over...like they expect to have to sell it any day now. Pick a theme for cripe sakes; contemporary, futuristic, Spanish, Oriental...something!

I just can't see myself coming back after being gone for 8 hours and hear echos of the last words I spoke before I left. That place will never be a 'home'. Yuk.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no dungeon? What good does it do to have all that money and not spend it on an island prison where beautiful women are kept against their will and abused in a dungeon by other beautiful women?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
And no dungeon? What good does it do to have all that money and not spend it on an island prison where beautiful women are kept against their will and abused in a dungeon by other beautiful women?

Death by Snoo Snoo? Mr. Green

Dave
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

I think you need a white cat Wan.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
an island prison where beautiful women are kept against their will and abused in a dungeon by other beautiful women?

You know, excessive masturbations can interrupt sleep patterns. Shocked
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at those pictures. Is that some kind of resort spa? Or did the beige fairy do her thing one night?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: