Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: 3D-Gamer (DISCONTINUED)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: FAQ: 3D-Gamer (DISCONTINUED) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
3D-Gamer: Play 3D games on DLP TVs / Projectors!

Order today at an exclusive CurtPalme.com reduced price! GO »

We've worked out an exclusive deal for our members to bring you this product at a price lower than what everyone else pays anywhere on the internet!

Play your favourite games in 3D on DLP TVs / projectors!

A lot of DLP projectors/TVs have been sold in the last few years that are actually fully 3D-ready. These displays unfortunately do not have any of the actual 3D algorithms inside so none of the 3D PS3 games will work.

The new 3D-Gamer fixes this problem. It converts the 3D signal from your PS3 so that it works on most non-3D DLP TVs/projectors!

Enjoy 3D gaming at a fraction of the cost without having to replace your existing display. There's no reason to buy a new 3D TV/projector! Join the growing community of 3D gamers today!

What do I need?

To experience 3D games using 3D-Gamer you need:

• A PS3
  • A DLP projector/TV with an HDMI input that supports 720p at 100/120Hz
Any DLP Link 3D glasses will work such as these other models. 3D glasses that have been tested include: Xpand 3D Shutter Glasses, ViewSonic PGD-150, Optoma BG-ZD101, and Xpand Universal X103 3D Glasses, though any DLP Link glasses will work as it is a standardized format.

Looking for an inexpensive 3D ready DLP projector for gaming? Consider these models varying in price from around $300 to $1500 USD, such as the Acer H5360, or the Optoma HD66. They make great inexpensive gaming projectors and allow you to put together a 120 inch 3D gaming setup for under $600 USD!

How difficult is it to set up?

There is no setup! It's 100% plug-n-play with automatic recognition for 3D mode. No menus, no remote, no setup at all. Regular video just passes through the 3D-Gamer without any modifications. Just connect the 3D-Gamer between the PS3 and the TV/projector. That's it!

PS3 users need to make sure to have the latest firmware installed and go to Settings -> Display settings -> Video Output and select "automatic" so that 3D output is enabled. After that you just launch the game and that's it - the 3D-Gamer will take care of rest.

Isn't this the same as the Mitsubishi 3D TV adapter?

No. The (more expensive) Mitsubishi 3D TV converter box only outputs "3D checkerboard" format which only works on Mitsubishi TVs and some Samsung TVs. PS3 games use what's called "720p framepacked" 3D format (not checkerboard format). Most TVs and projectors do not support 3D checkerboard format. (Confusing, we know!)

Which projectors and TVs are supported?

Most DLP projectors/TVs will work with the 3D-Gamer.

If your DLP projector/TV has an HDMI input and supports 720p at 100 or 120Hz the 3D-Gamer will work for you.

Not sure? Contact us at 3DExperts@curtpalme.com and we'll confirm for you! We also offer a no-nonsense 100% money back guarantee!

Features/Specifications

Input: 1xHDMI v1.4a (supports HDCP)
Output: 1xHDMI v1.3 (supports HDCP)
SERVICE: USB
VIDEO MODES: NTSC 480i/p, SECAM 576i/p, HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p
POWER SUPPLY: from HDMI cable or USB cable
AUDIO: HDMI audio passthrough
3D MODES SUPPORTED: Frame Packing720p60, 720p50
3D OUTPUT: 720p120 and 720p100 field interleaved
Standard Accessories: Quick start guide, USB cable, 3D glasses (when bundled)
Optional Accessories: Any DLP 3D-glasses (required)
DIMENSIONS: 80MM x 67mm x 15mm

FAQ

Can the 3D-Gamer be used for 3D Blu-ray movies too?
No. The 3D-Gamer is for 3D games only. The upcoming 3D-Displayer or 3D-Theatre are required.

Is there any latency (delay) introduced to the signal by using the 3D-Gamer?
Less than one frame of latency is added to the signal which is not at all noticeable in games.

What is the USB port for?
To supply power from any USB port available if required (such as a PS3 USB port) and for firmware upgrades when new (additional) functions and enhancements are offered.

Does the 3D-Gamer offer side by side 3D format used on Xbox360 games?
No, at this time we only support the frame packing format and do not support side-by-side format. This may change in the future.

What about long HDMI cable runs? Can I expect issues?
The 3D-Gamer actually acts as an HDMI repeater device. So having a 3D-Gamer in the path will amplify and recover the signal. You should not need any passive (or active) HDMI amplifiers, especially if you put the 3D-Gamer in the middle of your cable run. If you previously had to use an amplifier, the 3D-Gamer can most likely take its place.

What is included:

3D-Gamer converter box
Quick start guide
USB cable

Service & Warranty:

One (1) year warranty
Online technical support

Pictures

3D-Gamer front:

3D-Gamer back:

3D-Gamer with optional DLP Link 3D glasses:

DLP Link glasses:

Questions? Email us at 3DExperts@curtpalme.com

Order today at an exclusive CurtPalme.com reduced price! GO »

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does this technology work?

Is it doubling the frame but offset slightly?

Seems relatively cheap...but 3D DLP projectors are also cheap...

Is the target market existing DLP owners that don't have 3D capabilities built into the projector or tv?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
So how does this technology work?

It's be connected to PS3 and it converts all 3D games (in frame packed 720p) to a proper format for DLP (120Hz frame sequential). Also it embeds all necessary information to guide standard off-the-shelf DLP-link-glasses which are also offered in a bundle.

More specifically: The input 3D mode is Frame-packing 720p60 and 720p50 and the output mode is native 720p, 1280x720 frame interleaved for supported 120Hz capable projectors and TVs.

So anyone with a DLP projector/TV that supports 720p at 100 or 120Hz and has an HDMI input (i.e. pretty much all of them) can play 3D games with this product and any dlp-link-glasses just by connecting the device in the middle. Power comes from HDMI or a usb cable.

The best part is that there's zero configuration or menus. No remote. Just plug it between the PS3 and projector and it works. Nothing to set. So anyone that has NO IDEA what I just talked about above won't have problems getting it to work. Wink

Quote:
Is it doubling the frame but offset slightly?

Not sure about the offset. I'll let the rep from the company answer this one. He'll be here soon as the new moderator!

Quote:
Seems relatively cheap...but 3D DLP projectors are also cheap...

Most 3D DLP projectors do not actually process 3D, at least not the less expensive ones. They're simply "3D ready" which is just marketing crap as there's no way to play 3D on them other than a convoluted HTPC setup to do 120Hz frame sequential.

Quote:
Is the target market existing DLP owners that don't have 3D capabilities built into the projector or tv?

Yes. The lower priced models.

MOst projectors in the "consumer" pricepoint don't support 3D. Yes, they all claim 3D-ready, but they have no internal processing for anything that comes in. In other words, if you were to plug in 3D movie or a game, there will be a blank screen. E.g. Optoma's lineup / Acer's/ viewsonic lineup has no 3D-projectors even for their most expensive models, only 3d-ready-projectors that accept 120Hz frame sequential (titled 3d)... that sort of signal is not available from any source expect from HTPC setup. It's just a marketing strategy to fool people into thinking they can actually watch something if they buy the projector. The consumer sees "3D ready" on the box and assumes they can do any 3D with it.

The only real projectors with 3D-processing come from the top JVCs and similar but they cost in the $4-15k range. For example, the JVC dla-x3, lg cf3d, sony vw90, and so on. This product is not for them obviously. They don't need this.

The 3D-Gamer is the first in a series of 3D products that we'll be launching in the coming months, available first at CurtPalme.com! Stay tuned for more!

Kal

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I haven't been paying much attention to 3D but you are right...I see it advertised as 3D ready and I assumed this meant you needed to buy the glasses separately and that is it...but if you have an HTPC...I suppose that is right.

They aren't compatible with the 3D Bluray standard though? Well that stinks.

This should be a pretty handy product then.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a FAQ that will be updated as new questions come up.

Quote:

FAQ

Is there any latency (delay) introduced to the signal by using the 3D-Gamer?
Less than one frame of latency is added to the signal which is not at all noticeable in games.

What is the USB port for?
To supply power from any USB port available if required (such as a PS3 USB port) and for firmware upgrades when new (additional) functions and enhancements are offered.

Does the 3D-Gamer offer side by side 3D format used on Xbox360 games?
No, at this time we only support the frame packing format and do not support side-by-side format. This may change in the future.

What about long HDMI cable runs? Can I expect issues?
The 3D-Gamer actually acts as an HDMI repeater device. So having a 3D-Gamer in the path will amplify and recover the signal. You should not need any passive (or active) HDMI amplifiers, especially if you put the 3D-Gamer in the middle of your cable run. If you previously had to use an amplifier, the 3D-Gamer can most likely take its place.

Kal

gravy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I need. Ordered! I got a EXT V3, but couldn't get it to work with the PS3. This one sounds like it's 100% go. Please put me on the "ship early to test" list if available Wink

Steve
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the order Steve! You'll certainly be one of the first people to receive the new 3D-Gamer!

Kal

gravy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! This will complete my 3D adventure, then I can go back to not playing the PS3 Wink
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can HDFury 1 handle 720p120? The most I've tried on it is 1080p60 and it seems to be pushing it to the limit. I'm intrigued to try this on my CRT monitor... too bad my 1272 wouldn't be able to handle it.
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions.

1. I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 with the below specs. Will this support the VIP unit? In one of the specs it states maximum scan rate of 110 MHz and another it states 50/60Hz

SCANNING RATE: [H] 15 - 80 kHz, [V] 50 - 85 Hz, [Dot clock] max.110 MHz

VIDEO COMPATIBILITY: NTSC / NTSC 4.43 / PAL (including PAL-M, N) / SECAM / PAL-60, Component Video:
480i/p(525i/p), 576i/p(625i/p), 720p(750p 50/60Hz), 1080i(1125i 60Hz), 1080i(1125i 50Hz),
SCART (RGB + 1V sync)

2. Is this for games only or will 3D movies played through the PS3 work?

3. If I can watch a 3D television program like ESPN 3D through the PS3 using something like PlayOn will this work properly?

Thanks
Dan
paulso

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: acer 1130p Reply with quote

hi i have an acer 1130p projector thats dlp 3d ready but only has vga no hdmi would this work with this projector i am using a hdfury gamer editon with a ps3 at the moment hdmi to vga thanks i posted this on the 6th thats 6 days a go and no response not very helpfull at least a yes or no would have done

Last edited by paulso on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
1. I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 with the below specs. Will this support the VIP unit? In one of the specs it states maximum scan rate of 110 MHz and another it states 50/60Hz

I doubt it, Dan. If it states 50/60/hz then it's probably 50/60hz.

drice1234 wrote:
2. Is this for games only or will 3D movies played through the PS3 work?

Oh, good question... None of the info so far mentions BD at all one way or the other. Not even any questions, yet! Funny! Kal?

drice1234 wrote:
3. If I can watch a 3D television program like ESPN 3D through the PS3 using something like PlayOn will this work properly?

You can't watch a 3D program from ESPN 3D through the PS3 using PlayOn because ESPN is only delivering 3D content via cable and satellite - not on their website. So, that's a no-go.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
SCANNING RATE: [H] 15 - 80 kHz, [V] 50 - 85 Hz, [Dot clock] max.110 MHz

Here are the approximate requirements for 720p120:
Horizontal scan: 91 kHz
Vertical scan: 120 Hz
Dot clock: 186 MHz
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

The 3D-Gamer is for 3D games only. An upcoming (different) device will also do 3D movies.

Kal

paulso

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: @kal Reply with quote

well hopefully when someone posts a question about it you will answer them as i for one would not buy any thing your peddling as you can post about the things your going to be selling but cant post an answer about the prouducts you already sell and that in my opinon tells me as a possible customer that if i have aproblem with one of your products you will ignore it
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: @kal Reply with quote

paulso wrote:
well hopefully when someone posts a question about it you will answer them as i for one would not buy any thing your peddling as you can post about the things your going to be selling but cant post an answer about the prouducts you already sell and that in my opinon tells me as a possible customer that if i have aproblem with one of your products you will ignore it

I don't know the answer so I cannot anwer. The manufacturer mentioned today in a different thread that you started with the same question that they would get you the answer you need. Your question is more complex as you're asking if the HDfury Gamer will work at 720p/120 too. I don't believe it does since that would require 186Mhz clock rate and the HDfury gamer (IIRC) only goes to 165Mhz.

Kal

gravy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it shippin' soon? Wink

Steve
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shipments start Jan 25! First ordered is first shipped!

Kal

Cube

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the USB port work with an IR emitter or is that dependent on the display?
paulso

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: @kal Reply with quote

thank you for your reply i would like to apolagise for my outburst but i tend to get very excited when i think there my be a way to use the acer 1130p projector for 3d gaming with my ps3 for such a price as a new projector is out of my money range again sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: