Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WD TV HD Media Player and 2 Terabyte my book drive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: WD TV HD Media Player and 2 Terabyte my book drive Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just bought the WD TV HD Media Player and a 2 terabyte my book drive. I am wondering how many are using the WD TV HD Media Player.

I am also wondering how many hd 1080p movies I can conceivably put on 2 terabytes? This means I need to get a bluray drive so I can use Mikes converter program.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A random sampling of my MKV's:

12 movies - feature only, AC3 only on a few of them, HD audio on some of them
215 gigs

About 18gigs per movie average

So that 2TB drive is actually only about 1.8TB usable.

That will correspond to about 100 movies give or take 5 including the various cover art, etc.

On my HTPC it comes to about:

36 movies
674 gigs

About 19 gigs per movie.

Did you get the WDTV Live or just the standard version?
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: WD TV HD Media Player and 2 Terabyte my book drive Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:

I am also wondering how many hd 1080p movies I can conceivably put on 2 terabytes? This means I need to get a bluray drive so I can use Mikes converter program.

I have 99 1080p movies on a 2TB hard drive, +90 of these are Blu-ray or HD-DVD ripped with Mike's GUI
View user's photo album (1 photos)
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Did you get the WDTV Live or just the standard version?

I bought 2 of the standard units. I paid a very decent price with the intent that I would sell both of them and buy the live plus version.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: WD TV HD Media Player and 2 Terabyte my book drive Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
bbfarmht wrote:

I have 99 1080p movies on a 2TB hard drive, +90 of these are Blu-ray or HD-DVD ripped with Mike's GUI

How much room to spare? Or is it full?
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I don't remember reading about or seeing Mike's GUI ?
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another EAC3to GUI Plus Updated 5-31-2010 That refresh your mind?

Benjamin Franklin
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I don't remember reading about or seeing Mike's GUI ?

This one?
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: WD TV HD Media Player and 2 Terabyte my book drive Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Zebu Fellenz wrote:
bbfarmht wrote:

How much room to spare? Or is it full?

7.32Gb free. "full" Smile
View user's photo album (1 photos)
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with a WD HD media player and although the interface is pretty rudimentary, I was amazed at how well it played a 1080p bluray rip I made of Star Trek. It was a big mkv file and I was really impressed at the picture quality. The downside is that it outputs hdmi and I'm using rgbhv right now. Smile
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that work well, that seems like a better option than fighting with an HTPC for playback. I just might get one of those.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
If that work well, that seems like a better option than fighting with an HTPC for playback. I just might get one of those.

Uh huh. Leave annoying, obnoxious, PITA Windows box in a whole different room, and use simple, quiet, reliable device in HT. That's the direction I'm leaning at this point.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw the "live" versions of these boxes at newegg refurbished for $65 shipped. almost picked one up. very tempting. that's a lot of power in a little box!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
just saw the "live" versions of these boxes at newegg refurbished for $65 shipped. almost picked one up. very tempting. that's a lot of power in a little box!

Anyone see a difference between the "live" version and the "live plus" version?

They are back up to $75 on the refurbed "live" but that is a pretty slick deal to get a 2TB BR rip server/player for $175!
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comparison chart here;

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

It looks like the Plus version includes Netflix streaming and dvd navigation.

dale
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this yesterday. Unfortunately I did not have time to hook it up and check it out. I did open the package and wow it is small. I will check this out on Saturday when I get back from Memphis. Can't wait to get some video loaded onto the drive so I can check it out when I get home.

Benjamin Franklin
Wombat

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the main difference with the Live Plus is that the hardware has been modified so it can switch off completely rather than going to standby. This complies with some new energy-saving standard, but it takes longer to wake up.

The beta firmware (1.03.22_V and later) for the regular Live adds DVD navigation.

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
I just received this yesterday. Unfortunately I did not have time to hook it up and check it out. I did open the package and wow it is small. I will check this out on Saturday when I get back from Memphis. Can't wait to get some video loaded onto the drive so I can check it out when I get home.

What's the verdict?
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the UI functionon this product? I was looking on you tube and from what I saw it is not the most attractive UI I have seen. WD should open up some sort of skin development site for users.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
How is the UI functionon this product? I was looking on you tube and from what I saw it is not the most attractive UI I have seen. WD should open up some sort of skin development site for users.

That's the problem I have with all these products - most of the UIs suck. It seems like I have my choice between a few products with an excellent UI, but with reduced functionality/flexibility (Apple TV, for instance), or excellent functionality/flexibility with a lame, poorly-designed user interface.

That said, I think the WD TV Live looks pretty nice, actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

Yeah, there are a few rough spots, and it looks like a few of the menus (like music lists) could be improved, but overall pretty decent.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: