Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What would be the ultimate Marquee?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: What would be the ultimate Marquee? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
If you could build the ultimate Marquee from the ground up using various components/mods (Lenses, Bellows, Yokes, VIM, VNB’s, power supplies, etc., etc., etc.) what would you choose to implement?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't VDC already done that for you?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19007&highlight=marquee+mods+ranking
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with a brand new Ultra and put in optimized Frankenyokes, then send the VIM and neck boards to Mike Parker for modification,
then do the full suite of Chris Stephens' mods to EVERYTHING, then send the LVPS and fan tray to Tim for the fan mods, and if anyone is doing better mods, such as Draganm, then he would get to do those mods as well. Lenses would be HFQ900s.

The CRTs would be something special: Super high res versions of the P19LCP made by Lexel Imaging, with finer aperture electron guns
for tighter ultimate focus capability, while retaining the standard LCP phosphor in order to keep the picture brighness up.

These CRTs do exist. At least one set, anyway. I am trying to get my hands on them.

The goal: 4K display, baby!

Probably that would never be obtainable given that the CRT era is all but gone, but multiple bandwidth improvements over the stock
unit are very much possible.

CJ
DB Cooper

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one hanging MP's theater!! I've seen it, and it is amazing to see!!!!
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19007&highlight=marquee+mods+ranking

Dragan,

I saw this thread but it goes off on a tangent. Also, a year has passed and I'm curious as to what may have changed in addition to anything that may be "outside the box". CMJ's comments about the CRT's and Chris Stephens mods are interesting. I remember reading about Chris's mods years ago but don't remember everything he did back in the days of Ultimate Entertainment and Reference Imaging.

Regards,

Justin

BTW, your boards made it to Hi-Rez without event Very Happy
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the ultimate Marquee?

A Barco................ <<< quickly runs and hides in the corner>>>

Mr. Green

Dave
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,
I am not sure anything has changed. Scott has said for years that no new CRT parts have been designed in like a decade. Mostly what is being done is refining the edges. One of the great things about the Marquee is the availability of parts. If a Marquee owner wants to keep his pj for the next twenty years (I am looking at you Nash:)), then it shouldn't be a problem. That may not be the case with the other brands.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
I saw this thread but it goes off on a tangent. Also, a year has passed and I'm curious as to what may have changed in addition to anything that may be "outside the box". CMJ's comments about the CRT's and Chris Stephens mods are interesting. I remember reading about Chris's mods years ago but don't remember everything he did back in the days of Ultimate Entertainment and Reference Imaging.
well nothing new that I can think of, the latest moome card was the biggest and last upgrade anyone offered.

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Good to hear
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with CJ, but after working with Mike a lot over the last year, the first thing I would do are mods to the VIM and neck boards to take advantage of the bandwidth the Marquee is capable of. Other than that, I think CJ hit it on the head.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
draganm wrote:

Dragan,

Regards,

Justin

Some of us have the earlier "work sheets" that Chris used either for Vidikron or Accurate Imaging.

Also for some of his High End customers he built very expensive Projectors using lots of Wet Tantalum
caps in the High frequency and High temperature areas were Wet tants hold a low ESR compared to regular Electrolytic's.
Like in the HVPS and VNB's, and FGM.

Just had a message from him explaining this. He also said he's been working on some new ideas.
Wish he'd post here a bit but he is very private of his ideas.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the ultimate Marquee? One that doesn't have a backplane under the bellows! Smile
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is my expertise..Very Happy

The Ultimate Marquee would be the following:

- One that's in good condition

- Must also work well

- And perform well.

- The remote should actually work every time you point it to the screen.

- And it should not need anything done to it

- And lastly, also being the most important, one that produces a pleasing image..
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i soldered a long wire to the remote because it didnt work well when pointing at the screen.
is this a common thing with marquees?

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
What would be the ultimate Marquee? One that doesn't have a backplane under the bellows! Smile

Would that be a problem if it's ceiling mounted? I guess you would then need a bucket on the floor.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: