Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Any one else notice Bluray is not ready for primetime?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had a E6600 Core 2 Dual I replaced with a quad core a few months back. The motherboard had some bad caps on it, I finally got around to re-capping it. I also had a couple of 1GB ram modules I got from someone that upgraded to 8GB. The video card was an AT 45xx I bought from Newegg to replace one for a customer, that turned out not to be bad so I was stuck it, think I only paid about $45 for it. The machine has no optical drive, I used my trusty USB XBox HD-DVD drive to load the OS.

I'll most of the time I'll watch a movie in the theater when I really want to get into it. Just finished Knight and Day, really fun picture with lots of great chase scenes. Often times I'll watch it again upstairs just to have on in the background, like right now. I'm trying to ween myself off of MSNBC. Smile

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Gotta keep shopping and I guess eventually I'll find a bargain.

MikeEby wrote:
I'm trying to ween myself off of MSNBC. Smile

Good for you, Mike!!! Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another wonderful issue that took me 2 hours of farting around to fix, see here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286699#286699

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was assumed that the newest platform would embrace the 21st century of telecommunications and utilize dynamic storage, firmware upgrades, and Internet connectivity to expand features within the platform as time passed.

Maybe you should stick with DVDs? I hear Superbit scaled is nice and trouble free. Very Happy

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
It was assumed that the newest platform would embrace the 21st century of telecommunications and utilize dynamic storage, firmware upgrades, and Internet connectivity to expand features within the platform as time passed.

Maybe you should stick with DVDs? I hear Superbit scaled is nice and trouble free. Very Happy

You're missing my point Wan; People, (not just me ) expect when they buy a disk ( or two in this case Crank 1 and 2 ) that we will be able to play them by putting them in a player, ANY player that has the bluray logo on it. Why is it I could watch the first Crank movie without having to touch a thing but I had to f*(k around for 2 hours to get the second one to play?

I want the format to succeed not just suc. We have other technologies competing for the viewing dollars. This is a somewhat mature technology. We have a disk standard, follow the damned thing and make the disk's right so they will **JUST** f*(kin' play!

I have owned Betamax, LD, VHS, DVD they all work right the first time. You put the media in the player and push play. Instant picture. No hoops to jump through. Someone needs to bich slap the studios into understanding this:
MAKE IT PLAY RIGHT THE FIRST TIME DAMNIT!!

CRT.

HD done right!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR...if you read inside the case there is a piece of paper that says what you expected isn't the case and you might need to update your player in order to play the disc.

They should probably put this on the cover and not inside...you wouldn't know until you purchased the disc.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
AR...if you read inside the case there is a piece of paper that says what you expected isn't the case and you might need to update your player in order to play the disc.

They should probably put this on the cover and not inside...you wouldn't know until you purchased the disc.

That's a cop-out. They should just make a disk that works. They figured out how to do that with DVD so why not bluray?

EDIT: forgot to add my player IS running the current update. I updated it all ready to get "Fantasia" to play. It had the lattest update. I had to go way above and beyond to make "Crank 2" play.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
They figured out how to do that with DVD so why not bluray?

Because Blu-ray is about 100 times more capable, and therefore much more complex. It isn't just "Blu-ray" that's the problem... The problem is the "standard", as well as the authoring tools were changing over time. That's why the old Crank worked fine in your player and the new one didn't - because they added "new sh*t" that wasn't compatible with the "old sh*t" in your player.

Your point is valid, though... The standards and specifications should have been set, locked down, and adhered to before they ever started manufacturing players. It would made the format much less capable, but it wouldn't have required a player be updated every few months when a new disc with newer content came out and when you put a movie in, it would have just played.

Blu-ray... The Windows experience. Wink

SC
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most of my blu rays from Amazon. If it won't play on my player I return it for a refund and it goes back to the company that made the disk. If they get a bunch of returns they might rethink about authoring another disk in the same manner.

Avatar was a good example. Amazon issued a refund and they didn't even want the disc back due to all the returns because of the many DRM issues....
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
They figured out how to do that with DVD so why not bluray?

Because Blu-ray is about 100 times more capable, and therefore much more complex. It isn't just "Blu-ray" that's the problem... The problem is the "standard", as well as the authoring tools were changing over time. That's why the old Crank worked fine in your player and the new one didn't - because they added "new sh*t" that wasn't compatible with the "old sh*t" in your player.

Your point is valid, though... The standards and specifications should have been set, locked down, and adhered to before they ever started manufacturing players. It would made the format much less capable, but it wouldn't have required a player be updated every few months when a new disc with newer content came out and when you put a movie in, it would have just played.

Blu-ray... The Windows experience. Wink

SC

Ha I just noticed your avatar, nice touch!

Now ironically HD-DVD was based off a windows codec and didn't make it in favour of the "superior" bluray.

Thanks for seeing what I'm saying SC.

Set a standard and ADHERE TO IT! This is why we have had the ASA then the ISO.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
I buy most of my blu rays from Amazon. If it won't play on my player I return it for a refund and it goes back to the company that made the disk. If they get a bunch of returns they might rethink about authoring another disk in the same manner.

Avatar was a good example. Amazon issued a refund and they didn't even want the disc back due to all the returns because of the many DRM issues....

Avatar was slow to load but actually played fine on this machine Shocked

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, blame the studios and not the Blu-ray disk technology. If it were not for overly paranoid DRM and the necessity to perceive 'must add value' (ahem, "fluff") to a title then none of this would be a problem. It isn't a case of the technology not being ready, but some studios trying to handcuff the consumer and other trying to make more of it than it needs to be.

And DVD suffers from the same crap. I still have titles on both formats that prohibit me from skipping commercials and the You Are Guilty, Period pieced.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with my best friend about blu ray players recently. He said his sister in law told him the the PS3 is the most up to date and compatible player out there. Does it work in a PS3?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet money it would work fine in a ps3. I'm not exaggerating when I say there literally isn't a single Blu-ray that hasn't played in my ps3. Were talking probably a couple hundred or more discs and not a single problem. Of course, it's always updated.

My original Tron disc is another story... Locks up the ps3 player, crashes the DVD player in OS X, and crashes the old toshiba hd-xa1. Not sure what the he'll happened to that thing. Anybody ever had a DVD "rot" like some of the old LD's did?

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Annie is correct. Whenever I get out to LA again, I need to sit down and talk with her.
http://corporate.disney.go.com/studiocareers/images/Annie_Chang_Spotlight_FINAL.pdf
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I should put the PS3 Slim in the HT and take out the BX1 (S350 knockoff). Today I get to play some more with the Denon AVR on the network (it has web browser control by IP) using the wife's iPad. It'd be nice if the PS3 did also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: