Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Best way to soundproof basement ceiling joists

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Best way to soundproof basement ceiling joists Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Would it be better to fill the entire cavity with thicker R19 insulation or since airspace eats sound would running two layers of R11 with an air space between them be better?

Also I built a wood chase around the HVAC ducts. What's best to fill the void in there? I only have about 1.5" though...
Chad
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neighbor! I'm right down the road in Kenosha.

If I had my HT to do again I'd float the room. It's a little more expensive in framing materials but you'd basically have a room within a room that isn't attached to the house. Unfortunately I have boxed in ductwork over my screen so couldn't do much for low frequency remediation/retention. The wife has gotten used to the thumping and booming coming from the ducts. (or so she says). Laughing

Looks great already tho!

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a floor above and a ceiling below with joists connecting them, filling in the empty space will do very little. Sound will hit the ceiling and travel through the joists into the floor above.

You need to isolate the floor from the ceiling. This is usually done by building a room within a room as greg mentioned.

As for isolating the HT room from other adjacent rooms, this is often done using a larger 2x6" top and bottom plate with 2x4" staggered studs. This way the two sides of the walls are only joined at the top and bottom . Resilient channel can also be used (google it) and double drywall on one or both walls will also help.

If the room's already framed then very little will help. Sound is like water and will flow through the path of least resistance.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clarify... When Kal said, "filling in the empty space (between joists) will do very little", that could be misconstrued to mean there's no need to do it. It would have been better to have written "filling the empty space between joists will do nothing at all to attenuate the low frequencies."

To put it into an understandable real-world scenario, the insulation will attenuate the frequencies where female voices, small string instruments, cymbals, etc. occur. In other words, it'll do a good job lowering the transfer of everything but the bass. To reduce the bass energy transferred to the rest of the house you'll need to do like Gary and Kal said and decouple wherever possible.

I don't really like the "sound is like water" thing because I don't like the implied meaning: "if you don't go all the way with sound isolation, then don't even bother because it won't work". The problem with it is that I think there are some good, cost effective steps you can take to greatly improve isolation without going to full-on room-within-a-room construction.

I used R-11 in the walls, R-19 in the ceiling, Integrity Gasket on the framing, and two layers of drywall with Green Glue, and I'm very happy with my isolation. Very happy. Of course it doesn't perform as well as if I'd used staggered studs and/or RC, but I would have lost several more inches of precious room space, and the build would have been much more complicated (my room was already framed). The only two areas my room falls short compared to true isolation is foot-falls are pretty obnoxious on the hardwood floor directly above the theater), and really strong LFE (bass) isn't contained well at all. However, I did achieve my goal of being able to watch at night without having to choose between lowering the volume significantly or waking the kids. Can I watch at reference volume? No, but I don't have to "ride" the volume control, either.

Every situation is different, of course. You'll have to look at what rooms are adjacent and decide what makes the most sense for your room and budget.

Oh, and to answer the question... Wink Two layers of R11 or one layer of R19 - doesn't really matter. Do whichever is cheaper. I used R19... Do it once and you're done.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the tips guys. I did know about the room within a room for best results but screw that! Too much work, materials cost and loss of head room...
Plus I only have three more days until Oprah and her 300 fans (my wife being 1) get back from Australia so its just too late for that now.
I'm going to buy the cheapest, thickest insulation I can find (where ever I have a card too) and plunk it in quick before we drywall.
LandoM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would spray foam work for small spaces like the area around the HVAC duct work? Or is that really for sealing air spaces and so much for dampening sounds from a home theater? I know builders use it around windows to prevent any air seepage from outside. Also does foam baffling on walls reduce the sounds from the home theater from exiting the room or is it mainly to prevent the sounds from bouncing off the walls? You could ask a home services and HVAC person if there is a way to dampen sounds in the duct work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: