Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ethernet switch recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Ethernet switch recommendations? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, my third Netgear Pro ethernet switch just died... That's the third in about 4-5 years, so I'm NOT buying another Netgear. It's been rock-solid for probably 18 months... I was taking Christmas decorations out from under the stairs and knocked the AC adapter from the outlet, but didn't realize it until later. Plugged it in later and it's been dicked up ever since. I tried plugging and unplugging - nothing fixes it. I guess it needs to be replaced. It was an FS116 and the other two the died were and FS105 and FS108. I should have known after the second one, I guess.

Anybody have any recommendations? I need at least a 16-port; a 24-port would probably be better as the 16 was completely full. I was looking at gigabit, but I don't know that I really need it. I'm thinking maybe a good used Cisco or other commercial 100T switch would be a better buy so I don't have to replace something again in 12-18 months.

Opinions? Recommendations?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16 port gigabit Cisco hanging on my wall now for about 5 years. Works perfectly although recently lightning knocked out one of the ports. It is a noisy bugger though.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every laughs at my old blue linksys (100baseT) but it does the job and works fine. so do the linksys routers and wireless waps, and the waps i run in bridge mode to get from point A to B across the house without wire.

but they work. and keep working. and i've replaced D-link and logitech and other brands while mine keeps on working. i stick with success, so at consumer level i recommend linksys to people.

at business-world level i've used Cisco for about 20 years, back when the 3XXX series were new. At my current job we are pulling out our last few 35XX series switches and they work fine, but we need 10G uplink speeds so we are replacing all our core ethernet with Brocade gear. Brocade bought into the ethernet world (coming from SAN/fibre world) by acquiring Foundry which i have been using and recommending since about 2002. So i can also recommend used cisco or foundry gear.

i've had HP gear in my various sites and while it works, i also have a lot of it siting on the shelf because a module or a power supply died. i REALLY like HP server gear, but their networking product line has always left me cold.

so, i'd recommend linksys for consumer level gear, and used cisco or brocade/foundry gear if you want "business class" stuff.

FWIW.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had really good luck with Dell switches. I was running an 8 port then a 16 port, both gigabit, never had an issue. It's been 6 years now that I've had them.

Yes, it's more expensive than most;
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powerconnect-2816/pd?refid=switch-powerconnect-2816&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

Dale
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys... I just sent an email to a guy on craigslist that says he has some Cisco 3550's... I'm sure they'll be out of my price range... Gawd, they're expensive new!

So, I was just flipping though Amazon and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SR224-24-port-100-Switch/dp/B0000C20HX

It looks like it's a carryover product from Linksys' small business line, and it's last year's model, but $47?!?! Newegg has it for $89.99 and Amazon has the newer model for $101. Everybody seems to like the Linksys stuff...

Unless somebody has a reason not to, I might just snag it. IIRC, that's less money than I paid for the POS Netgear 16-port.

SC
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had problems with linksys stuff, except power adapters dying. I've been told by others they've gone down in quality since partnering with cisco. That's just second hand chit chat though.

EDIT: I thought you were looking for a gigabit switch. sorry.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Jester.

I just went ahead and ordered that Cisco/Linksys switch. It'll be here tomorrow for $50.98 including $3.99 next day shipping (with my Prime account). Too cheap to pass up. I'm sure I'll want to upgrade to gigabit at some point, but until I do, this one sounds great.

Thanks for the help, guys.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
I've never had problems with linksys stuff, except power adapters dying. I've been told by others they've gone down in quality since partnering with cisco. That's just second hand chit chat though..

well i know that the linksys NSS series NAS boxes were POS. but i suppose i only have myself to blame as i was on the design team. in my defense however, the POS aspects were implementation and hardware failures, not base design. Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Linksys is part of Cisco so probably good no matter which you buy although the stuff with the Cisco brand would likely be commercial grade and cost more. You could also try HP switches they have some really good 8 port switches which will reduce cost if you don't need any more than 8 ports.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the Cisco enterprise gear is excellent quality durable equipment and yes - the prices even on used equipment reflect that. The Cisco 3550's the local guy on Craigslist has seem to run from $750 to over $2500 new depending on the model. So, even if the used gear is is a quarter of new price, it'll still be WAY more than I want to spend on my home network.

Even if it's clearly not built for enterprise, I'm assuming that the Cisco-labeled Linksys small business gear is good stuff and I'm hoping it's better than the Netgear junk that doesn't seem to last for me (even though it's technically Netgear's SOHO/pro line, too). It seems like people had a pretty favorable opinion of Linksys even before Cisco bought the company, so I'll give it a try.

SC
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
No doubt the Cisco enterprise gear is excellent quality durable equipment and yes - the prices even on used equipment reflect that. The Cisco 3550's the local guy on Craigslist has seem to run from $750 to over $2500 new depending on the model. So, even if the used gear is is a quarter of new price, it'll still be WAY more than I want to spend on my home network.

Even if it's clearly not built for enterprise, I'm assuming that the Cisco-labeled Linksys small business gear is good stuff and I'm hoping it's better than the Netgear junk that doesn't seem to last for me (even though it's technically Netgear's SOHO/pro line, too). It seems like people had a pretty favorable opinion of Linksys even before Cisco bought the company, so I'll give it a try.

SC

Cisco gear is designed for Data Center type use 24hr/day every day and the price reflects that. HP also make excellent switches at a lower price point. I have used them (HP) for many years in very demading situations and I would recommend them. You should be able to find a suitable HP gigabit switch in the low hundreds of dollars and HP fast ethernet switches for under $100. Lynksys are Cisco domestic hardware.
maniak

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option for 10/100 switches would be 3com. You can usually get great deals on the 3com 10/100 switches. I run a 3com 3300 superstack III at the house and I use a superstack II (still a 3com 3300) at the office. I paid $18 for the last 3com switch (superstack II) from ebay.

These switches don't have QOS (I wish), but they do support Vlans. That comes in handy so I can use a single switch to make multiple networks. It also supports snmp so I can use a program like PRTG traffic grapher to keep an eye on bandwidth used.

Of course, with ebay, you are rolling the dice some and you can't beat Amazon prime for shipping (I love getting 100 lbs items for $4 overnight shipping)

~Mark

Edit: I just noticed that used 3com 3300 superstack III's are going for < $20 used on amazon.com too.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to defend Netgear, here, but unmanaged Ethernet switches is a dated technology. I wouldn't pay for anything unmanaged and treat them as disposable--and be fine with buying used.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, I get that a managed switch is higher-end and useful (necessary?) for the enterprise, but what does it offer a home user like me? What can I do with a managed switch that would be helpful in a home (even power-user) environment?

The Craigslist guy got back to me and he has a 24-port Cisco 3550 that he'd sell for $300. I think that's like a $2000+ switch. That's obviously a great deal, but it's just too damn much money for me... But I'd sure love to play around with one and learn more networking.

At one point, I toyed around with getting a CCNA certification because I've always wanted to understand IP networking better. I can get the courses for free from work, but then you still have to pay for tests and you need an equipment lab to learn on, right?

Thanks,
SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a managed switch can you give priority to certain traffice?

(VOIP, Netflix, iRule, PS3, etc.)
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a lab for ccna... 90% of it is subnetting.

Having a managed switch at home is kinda pointless unless you have a few hundred computers. It'll just sit there and run up your electricity bill.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

only if it supports QOS, not all do.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Switch would be useless for QoS... you'd need a firewall or router that supported. Switch would just QoS your internal network, which is pretty pointless when you only have a 10mbit cable modem.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing to keep in mind is that enterprise gear is designed to be in a server room and the fans can be horridly noisy. the Brocade FCS series makes your NEC sound quiet. absolutely unlivable.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:
zaphod wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Switch would be useless for QoS... you'd need a firewall or router that supported. Switch would just QoS your internal network, which is pretty pointless when you only have a 10mbit cable modem.

well, if you wanted your iTunes or other [internal] digital media to get more bandwidth and prevent dropouts that might be useful.

might.

but i agree still that a managed switch is overkill for all but the neediest/nerdiest of home networks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: