Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

While you guys are dicking around with old technology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: While you guys are dicking around with old technology Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm busy designing a solar tracking system to accurately aim solar electric panels directly at the sun for maximum capture.
It will even work on cloudy days as it remembers it's position for a spacific time of day. It updates and remembers it's last position every 30 minutes. So it will be pointed in the optimum position even if it can't see the sun. It works with as few as one panel or as many as the budget allows. We're talking lots of zeros here. And that's all I have to say about that. Thumbs Up

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you incorporate some HD-8's into the design? Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chip what arer you doing messing with that tree-huggging, hippy-loving, GREEN technology. Shame on, turn in your Republican membership card emmidiately. Wink [/s]
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, keep it up !
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: While you guys are dicking around with old technology Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:
I'm busy designing a solar tracking system to accurately aim solar electric panels directly at the sun for maximum capture.
It will even work on cloudy days as it remembers it's position for a spacific time of day. It updates and remembers it's last position every 30 minutes. So it will be pointed in the optimum position even if it can't see the sun. It works with as few as one panel or as many as the budget allows. We're talking lots of zeros here. And that's all I have to say about that. Thumbs Up

Thats awesome big dog!!!!

I would probably want to do other things as well if I had an Ampro! Mr. Green Laughing Mr. Green Laughing

In all seriousness, that is pretty damn cool. I wish solar wasnt so expensive. Would love to use it to power my whole house.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you use to store the energy?
i read somewhere that the sun gives you 500watt per square meter, how much surface will you cover with the panels.
edit: whats the efficiency on the panels?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the 1000 GM engineers. We have quite the group here. Price: PRICELESS!

Sounds like a lot of work, but very rewarding. Post some pix!!

Mind you, we don't have sun here in Canada, so if you can somehow harness rain and snow, you'd have it made up here. Very Happy
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my day job I design and build digital two-way radio communications systems. My largest single customer operates the largest open pit gold mine complex in the world.

CJ
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this has what to do with CRT projectors?
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
And this has what to do with CRT projectors?

ACON technology Wink

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which panel generates the most power . . . The red one, green one, or blue one? I'll bet the blue panel goes out first, doesn't it? Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: While you guys are dicking around with old technology Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:

Just remember that on a cloudy day it is generally NOT a good idea to point the panels to where the sun would have been. It is better to point the panels straight up. The reason is that the panels then see the full sky, while when tilted they see part of the horizon. There is a guy in the Netherlands that explains this difference between direct radiation and global radition. Unfortunately it is in Dutch, but you could try the Google translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.siderea.nl/artikelen/hellingshoek2/hellingshoek2.html

Ideally, you would couple this tracker to the MPP tracker from your inverter. In that way the combination would always result in the maximum efficiency.

I will pm you about my consultancy fee Thumbs Up

Gerbrand

akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: While you guys are dicking around with old technology Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:

This has been done so many times. These tracking devices are all over the place to buy. I was working on designing one myself that is microprocessor controlled but soon found it was a waste of time. With all the government and power company subsidies available right now, just have the darn thing installed with the system.

Dale
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: While you guys are dicking around with old technology Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
stefuel wrote:

This has been done so many times. These tracking devices are all over the place to buy. I was working on designing one myself that is microprocessor controlled but soon found it was a waste of time. With all the government and power company subsidies available right now, just have the darn thing installed with the system.

Dale

They come with your solar array do they not?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to take the wind out of his project (or his sun out of his panels).

I'd say that pretty much EVERYTHING has already been done, cheaper, maybe better, and certainly less time consuming, which is why I got out of building 'projects' decades ago. But heck, the alarm that I built in Grade 7 for my parents' house worked for 25 years, and never had a false alarm, unlike the 'pro' system our neighbors had put in by some shady company.

Thing is, buying something ready made doesn't give you near the pleasure of having designed or built something yourself, plus you learn something in the process.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure Curt. It's always more fun to do it yourself.

This was one of the solutions I was going to try, until I got into microprocessors. This uses LEDs to sense the sun strength, very cool and inexpensive. You just connect it to some relays and it works.

Dale
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That's more or less a Wheatstone bridge, but it's driving a motor rather than a meter..
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green LEDs are supposedly the best as they contain Gallium Phosphide. I never knew that LED could be used this way. Very slick.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither.. something to remember.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the red and blue LED's? Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: