Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Late last June I purchased a B-stock JVC DLA-RS20 with full factory warranty and a clock counter of zero. I mated this projector with a Seymour Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen.

The decision on the screen went beyond any consideration for any other single component in the mix. The type (acoustically transparent or not), format (1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.37 or 2.4), and material all had a bunch of unknowns. The room itself has a finished width of only 12'4" (length of 26'4" and height of 8"8"), and the concern with adjacent walls being close, of color and finish of their own leading to an inexact variable of the overall picture brightness in perception.

Well, yesterday was the first time I had vacation without having other plans and finally plugged everything in. I can say that with the RS20 in Normal (not High) lamp mode, on what is probably going to be a brand new lamp, with Star Trek Blu-ray playing from an equally discontinued BDP-S350 player the zoomed 2.4-ish presentation at 10' wide (yes, that's 120 inches!!) was more than sufficient to both my eyes and those of the wife. Thumbs Up

Before the wife got home from work, I played an un-zoomed 16:9 presentation of Season 6 of House, M.D. and the image was simply fantastic.

NOTE: My impression is based a) only previous digital projectors from 5-7 years ago, and b) from my previous use of a GE Imager 601 (straight PG6) CRT projector. I can say that from what I have personally used in the past this projector beats those experiences hands down.

Now, the Benjamin Moore Regal Select in darkish tone definitely did a number in controlling light-reflection at the screen's extreme condition as the adjacent walls came within a foot of the walls. In fact, the semi-gloss on the mock columns about three feet farther out from the wall had a more hot-spot-tish condition than the wall itself.

I purchased the projector from [ask me] and I had them to an initial calibration. Iris is set to zero and I wonder after I get use to playing around with the controls if I should increase this to increase contrast. While the intra-scene CR seems fine, this could also be me and my brainwashing from the last three years of plasma TV only viewing conditions.

I have no real measuring/calibration equipment so I cannot be specific on the technical performance. I could post a screen capture, but I am not sure that could ever be taken as of value. All I can say is that the wife and I are happy, amazed by the ten foot image on the screen, and that I now need to find that new subwoofer.

BTW, the perceived amount of brightness compared to the GE Imager was at least equal to or more than the 601. I am comparing this between the 80" wide Draper M1300 screen used with the CRT to the 120" wide Seymour Center Stage XD. I knew the M1300 was marketed as a screen with 1.3 gain, and the Seymour that was probably 1.0 at best, but the JVC more than made up for that. Guessing I will go High Lamp mode in about 500-600 hours from now, but considering this is a dedicated (ahem, Blu-ray only) setup that is fine.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you've had that projector and screen for at least a month or two, right? And you're just getting around to testing it now? Must be crazy busy... I'd have busted that thing out and had it sitting on a cardboard box to watch a few movies before I let it set in the box for a month or two! Wink

Interesting to hear your experience, too. I think you'll definitely want to turn the DI on... I don't see how you'll be happy with the blacks and on/off without it.

The Draper was over-rated IIRC, and I think the Seymour was actually measured and confirmed at close to the 1.2 gain Seymour claims. I bet the M1300 and CenterStage XD are pretty close, actually.

I've been really impressed with the JVC machines, too - even the older RS2. I could easily be happy with one if my G70 died... Especially if I could go to a scope screen.

You'll have to snap some pics for us! Just general room/setup pics at least.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, who did you buy the pj from? I hope you didn't pay to much, as you could buy the RS40 from AVS for around $3500.

And Crabb, ease up on him. I haven't turned on my G90 in three months. Shocked
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, this Summer has been more than a little weird for me. But keep in mind I wouldn't turn on something unless all the components were in place. I do not needs to be artificially misrepresented by testing early and I had to wait on the screen, its proper mounting, etc. but I do agree I move like a Carnival Cruise ship after and engine fire--stink and all. Smile

Now I'm holding off enjoying the room more because of the subwoofer deficiency. I gave consideration yesterday to the eD you recommended to me a couple of month back, but I think they work from a build-on-order scheme and that is a showstopper for me. Of course this is matched by fools in so called boutiques claiming to sell XYZ and then do not have demo's and lack inventory for immediate buyer fulfillment.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Steve, this Summer has been more than a little weird for me. But keep in mind I wouldn't turn on something unless all the components were in place. I do not needs to be artificially misrepresented by testing early and I had to wait on the screen, its proper mounting, etc. but I do agree I move like a Carnival Cruise ship after and engine fire--stink and all. Smile

Now I'm holding off enjoying the room more because of the subwoofer deficiency. I gave consideration yesterday to the eD you recommended to me a couple of month back, but I think they work from a build-on-order scheme and that is a showstopper for me. Of course this is matched by fools in so called boutiques claiming to sell XYZ and then do not have demo's and lack inventory for immediate buyer fulfillment.

I believe they stock certain models. Call them to find out.
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which eD you are considering, but I've got an A7s-450 that I absolutely love. But if I were looking today I would have to give serious consideration to one of the Chase Home Theater subs.

You might want to check them out as well if you don't want to wait on an eD.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketfoot wrote:
I don't know which eD you are considering, but I've got an A7s-450 that I absolutely love. But if I were looking today I would have to give serious consideration to one of the Chase Home Theater subs.

You might want to check them out as well if you don't want to wait on an eD.

Always been cautious of craigsub after going back and forth with him on a few forums. He seems front and center but he was in pretty deep with MLS at AV123 and we know how that ended.

I feel pretty comfortable with eD. They have a Black Friday deal on the A5-350 for something like $699 shipped normally $800.
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Always been cautious of craigsub after going back and forth with him on a few forums. He seems front and center but he was in pretty deep with MLS at AV123 and we know how that ended.

I feel pretty comfortable with eD. They have a Black Friday deal on the A5-350 for something like $699 shipped normally $800.

Yes, he was definitely one of many who got sucked in by MLS and drank the kool-aid. Craig and I had our share of disagreements (that we were usually able to keep in PMs). In the end I think he learned a lot about what not to do and has applied this to his business. Time will of course tell.

I have little doubt that you will be anything but extremely pleased with the eD Thumbs Up
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wife has a few weeks of heavy work load and finally had enough time to actually sit down and watch a movie. We put up WALL-E and she loved the presentation. That was enough for her to go into 'learn' mode and get use to the new remotes (not come up with a consolidated solution yet), and then she sat down for two more movies.

Personally, I'm holding off until the new sub arrive (tomorrow!) and then I am going to start watching some action movies to really beat the woofer out of me. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
NOTE: My impression is based a) only previous digital projectors from 5-7 years ago, and b) from my previous use of a GE Imager 601 (straight PG6) CRT projector. I can say that from what I have personally used in the past this projector beats those experiences hands down.

I am a big fan of the JVC RS projectors, but there is one thing to know about them that has benefits and weaknesses. As the bulb and projector age the light output characteristics also change... more than other digitals.

With a new RS20 the image is very bright, but the black levels are not fantastic even compared to other digital projectors, not to mention CRT. After about 300 hours use on the bulb, the light output will diminish by about 35% ~ 40%. This will make the white level lower, but it will still be plenty bright. The wonderful thing about this is that with the light output cut, the black level really improves with time. This makes a nice picture.

As the bulb goes over 800 hours the image starts to get too dim for some folks and usually has dropped by more than 50% flt from the original level (with bulb on low power setting the entire time).

Just an fyi after calibrating tons of RS20's. Oh, and for whatever reason, the second bulb never puts out as much light as the first did. The projector actually seems to get darker as it ages.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Just an fyi after calibrating tons of RS20's. Oh, and for whatever reason, the second bulb never puts out as much light as the first did. The projector actually seems to get darker as it ages.

craigr

Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1223098

It's not a bulb issue, but rather an optical issue, probably caused by deposits from offgassing of various components or adhesives. It seems that cleaning the components discussed in the thread offer significant increases in light output from the projector.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that by the time 500 hours rolls about I would have watched +200 Blu-ray movies in this dedicated space. At under $300 for the lamp, and with a decent cleaning as Hog pointed out, and maybe even use of High lamp mode, then I should be fine. Mind you I never set my expectations high--only as high as I could afford--and the wife's expectations were lower than mine. Win-Win.

I also thought about buying a calibration system if one could be had ~$3-400 and trying to extend the lamp to about 800 hours, but trying to find a solution amongst the good, bad, and ugly might mean I should try just for the basics with lamp replacement. And the cost to have someone come in and hang, setup, and calibrate the XG1351 (w/new tubes) would cost me about 4 RS20 lamps, or an entry-level digital projector for just HDTV use.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Check out this thread:

It's not a bulb issue, but rather an optical issue, probably caused by deposits from offgassing of various components or adhesives. It seems that cleaning the components discussed in the thread offer significant increases in light output from the projector.

Very cool, and thanks for that link. I will check it out when I have some free time. I was wondering WHY the projector actually gets dimmer and knew there was a reason. I am glad that someone else noticed and may have a solution!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I figured that by the time 500 hours rolls about I would have watched +200 Blu-ray movies in this dedicated space. At under $300 for the lamp, and with a decent cleaning as Hog pointed out, and maybe even use of High lamp mode, then I should be fine. Mind you I never set my expectations high--only as high as I could afford--and the wife's expectations were lower than mine. Win-Win.

I also thought about buying a calibration system if one could be had ~$3-400 and trying to extend the lamp to about 800 hours, but trying to find a solution amongst the good, bad, and ugly might mean I should try just for the basics with lamp replacement. And the cost to have someone come in and hang, setup, and calibrate the XG1351 (w/new tubes) would cost me about 4 RS20 lamps, or an entry-level digital projector for just HDTV use.

Don't think I am knocking the RS20. I feel it is a solid performing projector especially at the price point. I just wanted you to be aware of what I have observed after calibrating and tuning up bunches of them. I personally think the projector is at it's best after it has 300 hours because the black level is VERY good by that time and the white point is still quite nice.

If you want the lowest cost option, put the projector into THX mode and don't look back. The RS20 is quite good in THX mode right from the factory. I honestly doubt if you can make it better without a really good spectroradiometer anyway or without hiring a pro that knows what he is doing.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on the RS20 a few years back. I provide data on the projector with and without a Radiance processor.

http://www.cir-engineering.com/rs20.php

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
HogPilot wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Check out this thread:

Very cool, and thanks for that link. I will check it out when I have some free time. I was wondering WHY the projector actually gets dimmer and knew there was a reason. I am glad that someone else noticed and may have a solution!

craigr

I haven't kept up on the thread recently, but last I read, the hypothesis was that certain adhesives and plastics were offgassing while the projector is still new and being heated from the lamp. Whatever the cause, there's definitely some sort of thin film being deposited on the optics by the bulb, but those optics are easily accessed and cleaned.

Light gains upwards of 75% have been measured after cleaning the appropriate optics...definitely worth trying Smile

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA-RS20 (Discontinued) is bright enough Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:

I haven't kept up on the thread recently, but last I read, the hypothesis was that certain adhesives and plastics were offgassing while the projector is still new and being heated from the lamp. Whatever the cause, there's definitely some sort of thin film being deposited on the optics by the bulb, but those optics are easily accessed and cleaned.

Light gains upwards of 75% have been measured after cleaning the appropriate optics...definitely worth trying Smile

The thing about a lot of the RS projectors I have noticed is that they absolutely STINK (literally odor) when they are new and for the first several hundred hours. Offgassing makes sense to me.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I am usually very sensitive (aware) of such things, but I have not noticed anything yet. Maybe it is because I started using the projector so late into the season and the environment is usually <70ºF that none of these odors have made themselves present. In fact, I have not noticed any smell, pleasing or unpleasing.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any smell issues with any of my JVCs, although I've only owned 5 including the RS50 that should be on its way soon, so I don't have nearly the experience that Craig does with them. I will definitely be interested to see if this carries over to the new RS40/50/60 - not that it's a huge deal, but knowing how to fix it could be crucial for attaining acceptable light levels in 3D mode on the new models.

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have over exaggerated stated the smell and sent you guys in the wrong direction. They don't really stink in a bad way, but the RS's have always smelled strongly of new plastic when they are new. That's all.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
ChrisWiggles
Opinionated SOB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
I may have over exaggerated stated the smell and sent you guys in the wrong direction. They don't really stink in a bad way, but the RS's have always smelled strongly of new plastic when they are new. That's all.

craigr

Yeah, I installed quite a few and I always noticed that, but I always got the big whiff pulling it out of the box, not when actually using it.

I actually have yet to clean the optics on my RS20, I've been meaning to, but I'm always busy watching movies on it. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: