Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Netflix requires Xbox Live Gold!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Netflix requires Xbox Live Gold!? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I was going to go ahead and sign up for Netflix and ditch the Dish. We were going to get an Apple TV but our living-room TV (where the kids watch their TV) is too old and doesn't have HDMI. No worries, I figured, they have an Xbox.

Well PS3 and Wii can connect to Netflix just fine. But Xbox requires Xbox Live Gold, which costs more than Netflix !??

Can anyone explain why this is necessary, other than Microsoft gouging me?

I'll access Netflix with my PS3 in the HT for movies. But the intent was to replace the Dish for the kids' viewing. It galls me to have to pay Microsoft $60 a year, even if that's what I'm paying Dish every month. I was trying to avoid a Live subscription in the house -- I don't need my kids any more video-addicted than they already are...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use an xbox exclusively for netflix...no one does.

Buy a cheapy Roku if that's what you want to do.

I think Netflix is a perk of Xbox Live Gold...not Xbox Live Gold being a perk to Netflix.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you're saying the Gold subscription *includes* Netflix? That's not quite as bad. But it doesn't help me for the PS3 in the HT...

I've looked a little for a Roku but haven't had much luck. I thought with the ATV coming out that lots of Rokus would hit the market, but there weren't any the last time I looked. Any recommendations for which models to look for?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no - Netflix isn't included w/Live. But, you need Live Gold to use Netflix on the 360.

Gary, just get a Netflix sub... That will enable you to use any Netflix streaming device in the house, whether 360, PS3, Roku, AppleTV, iPod touch, computer or whatever. You just need Live Gold to enable it on the 360; which you can get from Amazon for $47.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a bd player with the netflix app. as much as I love the 360, I don't want a gold subscription. Hopefully when they add the hulu app to xbox it doesn't require gold either, that would be a pisser.

Dale
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who already have 360's and play games (and therefore have the Live Gold subscription), they're good to go. For a time, it was the only game system that would do it.

But now, for everybody else, Microsoft can suck it. Fortunately, there are a whole slew of BD players, media streamers, and other game systems that you can watch Netflix on without paying MS anything.

Unless you're a hardcore gamer (in which case you need both platforms for exclusives), there just isn't any reason to go 360 anymore. The PS3 offers so much better value - BD player, better hardware, Bluetooth, and FREE online gaming. The 360 controllers are a little better for us 'Mericans with our big hands, but it's worth that minor annoyance IMHO.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Oh, so you're saying the Gold subscription *includes* Netflix? That's not quite as bad. But it doesn't help me for the PS3 in the HT...

I've looked a little for a Roku but haven't had much luck. I thought with the ATV coming out that lots of Rokus would hit the market, but there weren't any the last time I looked. Any recommendations for which models to look for?

Sorry...that isn't what I was saying.

I meant that if you game a lot and already have Live Gold then they thrown in the *ability to have Netflix* as a perk. You STILL have to pay Netflix but for gamers it isn't a big deal because they were already going to have Gold anyway.

I am surprised with Wii and PS3 having the ability for Netflix for free that Microsoft hasn't dropped the Gold requirement but I suppose if they CAN...they WILL.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Unless you're a hardcore gamer (in which case you need both platforms for exclusives), there just isn't any reason to go 360 anymore. The PS3 offers so much better value - BD player, better hardware, Bluetooth, and FREE online gaming. The 360 controllers are a little better for us 'Mericans with our big hands, but it's worth that minor annoyance IMHO.

SC

Of course that is VERY debatable.

Wink
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's debatable, Greg... But, other than an exclusive title or two (which is true of the PS3, too) or perhaps the controllers, what other reason would anybody have to go 360, when practically everything else about the PS3 is superior?

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I guess it's debatable, Greg... But, other than an exclusive title or two (which is true of the PS3, too) or perhaps the controllers, what other reason would anybody have to go 360, when practically everything else about the PS3 is superior?

SC

Jeeze...like the Apple v Microsoft doesn't consume ENOUGH of our time already?!

Razz
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh... I'm not looking for a debate, Greg - I'm just curious... I was in Best Buy a couple of weeks ago (one of the handful of times per year I step foot in), and there was a late-20's couple picking up a new Kinect 360. The BB dork was trying to explain how the 360 wouldn't do 3D, and the couple was dumb-founded... They just wouldn't believe him. It got me thinking... With Blu-ray support, 3D, Move (which I've tried and offers FAR superior control mechanics to what Kinect seems to offer), easy/cheap hard drive upgradability, and USB support, I'm wondering why anybody would opt for a 360 over a PS3. I mean... Seriously, other than a couple of exclusive titles, or if your friends all had 360 and you wanted to play online with, I really can't see how it makes sense to go with the 360.

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 360 vs. PS3 wars aside... looks like my choices for living-room Netflix are pay Microsoft $50/yr for Live Gold, or buy a Roku or similar. Roku HD's go for about $70 on ebay. Roku SD is only a little cheaper. We only need SD for the living room TV but I figure the HD makes more sense and would be more resellable. That's probably the way I'll go.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Gary. Basically, for $23 more than the Microsoft tax, you can get the Roku box.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current XBL subscription will be the last year I have it. I have not played consistently in over a year and the price of Live is going up. I think M$ realized that much akin to the cowsumers and their wireless out there they will pay anything for their addiction.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Well, 360 vs. PS3 wars aside... looks like my choices for living-room Netflix are pay Microsoft $50/yr for Live Gold, or buy a Roku or similar. Roku HD's go for about $70 on ebay. Roku SD is only a little cheaper. We only need SD for the living room TV but I figure the HD makes more sense and would be more resellable. That's probably the way I'll go.

Instead of a Roku why not get a bd player that does netflix and hulu, etc?

I'll admit the Roku looks very nice, and inexpensive, but you'd still need a standalone bd player anyways right?

Dale
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Instead of a Roku why not get a bd player that does netflix and hulu, etc?

I'll admit the Roku looks very nice, and inexpensive, but you'd still need a standalone bd player anyways right?

Dale

I picked up a refurbed Samsung 1600 for $60 from Buy.com a while back and it does Netflix, Pandora, BB, etc. + Bluray.

I think that is the best option unless you already have a BR.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. The living room TV is SD and is not likely to get upgraded anytime soon. Who needs a BD player for that? We watch movies in the HT.

Though I guess I can get a BD player for not much more than a Roku. E.g. right now there are Netflix-capable Samsung players (BDP1600, BDP3600) for $80-90, or a refurb BDP1590 for $95. Probably makes more sense than a Roku? Does a Roku have any advantages that a BD player doesn't?
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only other thought was that the primary reason for the Roku is the streaming of course, whereas the bd players are bd playback. So, perhaps the Roku would get firmware and app support longer than say a bd player? One of my fears is that all the bd players and tv's with app support will just stop working one day, and they won't offer an upgrade.

dale
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy.com is out of refurbed Samsungs, but I'll look around.

Oooh wait. I just realized -- there is no hardwire LAN connection to the TV, and no easy way to install one. I'll have to find a player that supports wifi. Bleah. Guess that would have killed the Roku or Apple TV idea, unless I got something like a power-line LAN adapter.

Will these players accept USB wifi adaptors intended for Windows boxes, or do you have to use their own custom adapter? The Samsung adapter for the BDP1600 is over $60, but I have a spare wifi dongle lying around...
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the $99 roku has wireless. Also, many bd players have wifi as well.

I just got the Sony BDP-S570 for free (Sony credit card deal) and it has built in wifi and a free month of Hulu Plus. Cool.

dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: