Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The new Oppo BDP-93...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This is very timely. Was about to buy AnyDVDHD, but now doesn't look like I have to. Still wish it could read across my network though, and not just a local HDD. Any idea if this is one of the later improvements yet to come?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
This is very timely. Was about to buy AnyDVDHD, but now doesn't look like I have to. Still wish it could read across my network though, and not just a local HDD. Any idea if this is one of the later improvements yet to come?

How else would you rip the BR without copy protection?
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO files are not a rip, but just a disc image. Roxio can do that. I don't need fancy rip software of Oppo will play a disc image, or do I? I haven't tried it yet.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
ISO files are not a rip, but just a disc image. Roxio can do that. I don't need fancy rip software of Oppo will play a disc image, or do I? I haven't tried it yet.

A rip is just getting info off the disc, so yes ISOs are rips.

Don't have Roxio so can't answer that, but I figured you still had to remove the protection to be able play it.

I will try to update and try an ISO file today.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try it as well. I have updated my player, but have not yet done an ISO file to try it out.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit...I just realized this only works with the Beta firmware...and you can't load that from the network like other firmware.

Oh well...maybe I will try the Beta tomorrow.

Definitely doesn't work with the current firmware...in fact navigating a 2tb drive hooked up with a Thermaltake USB HDD Dock was an absolute fail!

Took forever to load and slowed the whole damn process to a halt.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suposedly this beta firmware allows ISOs, even though it doesn't claim so in the release notes. I have not yet have time to try it. Maybe tomorrow evening. Let me know what you find after updating your firmware.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that in order for them to maintain BD licensing that the idea of allowing ISO reads in the same physical device becomes political.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
suposedly this beta firmware allows ISOs, even though it doesn't claim so in the release notes. I have not yet have time to try it. Maybe tomorrow evening. Let me know what you find after updating your firmware.

ISO's work on BR and DVD, I am doing both with complete success. The AVCHD trick also still works fine. Both the ISO and creating the BDMV and other file directories for BR are perfect copies of the disc. The big thing now is really the DVD ISO support is added so you can put all of your DVD collection on storage and stop fumbling with discs. Plays them just like the original with menu's and all.

greg_mitch wrote:
Dammit...I just realized this only works with the Beta firmware...and you can't load that from the network like other firmware.

Oh well...maybe I will try the Beta tomorrow.

Definitely doesn't work with the current firmware...in fact navigating a 2tb drive hooked up with a Thermaltake USB HDD Dock was an absolute fail!

Took forever to load and slowed the whole damn process to a halt.

That's interesting I have been using 2TB and external Thermaltake dock with no issues on all firmware. Admittedly it could be painfully slow. The new beta is lightning fast, load times in seconds, crazy fast. New beta is the best update the player has seen by far. None of the beta firmware is or has ever been available via network, only public firmware updates. Just download it to a thumb drive from the website and pop it in the unit and it will update.

EJ

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EJ. I plan to give this is a go tonight. I'd like to connect a HP Media Smart to it so I can archive my movie collection and get the bookshelves of discs out of my family room.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it updated...holy crap that is an IMPROVEMENT for USB devices!

It searches lightening fast and loads ISOs just like the real thing. I had BDLive on and each ISO I loaded would have the little BDLive loading progress bar...I even tried BDLive on a disc and was able to get to Sony's area with trailers, etc. and all worked fine.

I did have one hiccup. I tried to load up the BR ISO of Scott Pilgrim vs the World and it skipped like crazy during the intro so I stopped it...I switched off BDLive and then loaded up the BR ISO of Get Low...I hadn't seen it yet so I stayed and watched the whole damn movie! Damn I love home theaters...I can get lost in a story very easily. DTS-HD Master worked fine...all disc menus worked fine.

Unfortunately I never went back to Scott Pilgrim to test it out to see if it was skipping because of BDLive or what...

I did also try out VUDU and I am a believer! The HDX with 5.1 DDPlus is amazing as far as streaming content goes....VERY near BR quality on a 138" screen. I just watched trailers so far so I am not sure how a whole movie will do with streaming...hopefully it downloads enough so that it doesn't pause an hour into the flick to reload! Also...hopefully they don't downgrade quality based on my connection like Netflix does.

I am REALLY contemplating getting rid of $11.99 Netflix and just renting two movies from Vudu per month...I just lose the ability to stream on about 1000 other devices....decisions.

Long story short...DO THE UPDATE! IT ROCKS!
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup Greg. I found it to be the same. Now I just want to test out an ISO made using Roxio to see if I need to buy AnyDVDHD or not. This is really great news. I might just be able to make the best out of both worlds and digitize my collection while using a nice standalone device to play them instead of a HTPC.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

I did have one hiccup. I tried to load up the BR ISO of Scott Pilgrim vs the World and it skipped like crazy during the intro so I stopped it...I switched off BDLive

Greg try this - I have read of issues with the persistent storage on the BD live stuff. The solution from what I understand is to go into the menu and clear the persistent storage and then do a hard restart on the machine. Doing this periodically or when having playback issues will solve the problem if that is what is affecting SPVTW.

You can also try the esata port in lieu of the USB, unless you have multiple drive bay and it only supports one where as the USB supports multiples. In one of the earlier FWs I was having issues sort of like yours with certain disks when using the esata, so I switched back to the USB and then had no issue, now I use the esata again but you could have a similar type problem only visa versa with the current FW.

EJ

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDate>>>>>>BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME

Some of the best DVD upscaling on the market.
Plays Every type of disc known to man except HD DVD.
Plays iso files and AVCHD rips from local HDD. (May personal fav ripping Blu Ray and DVD iso's to HDD for anytime viewing)
Has:
Netflix
Blockbuster
VUDU
Picasa
Film Fresh

......And new beta firmware has You Tube access. NICE!

This is the most amazing player on the planet. The longer it is out the better it keeps getting. OPPO is the BEST!!!!!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I followed the recommendation of the ThermalTake HDD dock to store and play my BD and DVD .ISOs and I absolutely love it. Best player on the market, hands down.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys having luck playing ISO bd through the network? I can't seem to see ISO files on my nas.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netgear's NeoTV-550 plays blu-ray ISOs over the network without any problems. It's played virtually any files I've thrown at it, including .mkv containers & host of other audio/video file formats. Plus it natively handles high bit rate FLAC files which sound outstanding in the living room on the MartinLogans.

About my only beef with this box is that it seems to have an HDMI incompatibility with my Toshiba 65" RPCRT. I reported it very early in the beta cycle (I beta tested this box & rode it through a variety of firmware updates) and they were never able to sort it out. Have it hooked to the TV through component video & everything is just fine up to 1080i content (which is the max the TV will handle anyway).

Myself, I'm also pining for a BDP-93, but that'll have to be a future purchase (Santa?) down the road.

Ray

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a DUNE BASE 3.0 in the theater and also the BDP-93 so I am not looking for another player... The only ISO files I want the BDP-93 to play are 3D BD ISO's as everything else ISO related is handled by the DUNE.

I tried the BDP-93 with a USB HD and 3D ISO flies and they did play. This is fantastic, but I wish it could just pull the files off the NAS where all my other media files are already located. That being said the Oppo doing 3D ISO is still a huge improvement for me because the DUNE can't do 3D ISO playback so I was having to convert BD 3D discs to 3DSBS @ 1080p 24Hz and that was not really worth the trouble let alone the negative impact on video quality Wink

It is funny to me that Oppo suddenly has decided to support ISO files when this was considered a no no before...

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
mhalsan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the BDP-93 "Video Setup" menu, you can select "Screen Size." I assume this has something to do with either 3D parallax or convergence, but I've tried it at 32", 100", 265" (actual size) and 600" and nothing seems to change.

I viewed the opening of Tron Legacy many times at different "screen size" settings, where the Walt Disney logo is drawn in script, coming out of the screen. I did this with a measuring tape on the floor, and the logo was about 7 feet in front of the screen regardless of the "Screen size" setting.

Anyone know exactly what this setting is supposed to do?

Thanks, Mark

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an OPPO BDP-93 that has not video or audio output over HDMI-1. I can't even see the Setup menu over HDMI-1

I get video and audio out over HDMI-2 at 1080p24 just fine.

I have tried HDMI-1 set to priority, video only, I've downloaded the latest firmware, nothing seems to work.

The OPPO is connected direct to a LCD TV at the moment. Is there a combination of settings that would prevent HDMI-1 from outputting video and the setup menu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: