Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The new Oppo BDP-93...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What blu ray discs were not playing on the first try and using what firmware update ?
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
What blu ray discs were not playing on the first try and using what firmware update ?

disc firmware 38-0126

Non playing discs on the first try Kill Bill 1,Kill Bill 2, Planet Hulk, [All Blu-ray]

Lost in Space DVD looked terrible, every CGI image jumped out, making it unwatchable.

But the hanshaking bit was terrible I tried the 93 on the down stairs T.V. too. Same problems with different HDMI cables also.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very disappointing. It WAS my dream player.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Kill Bill one and two,Avatar.9 and a few others(all blu ray) and no problem here. Did you have the player connected to the internet ? I did notice a slight delay playing Avatar but it appeared to be checking for a firmware update and took a minute or two but then then started playing.

Personally I think the blu ray format has far two many problems caused by HDCP and the studios that cripple play back. HD DVD's just work. Never had one that just wouldn't play.......
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave did yuo have the auto resolution set to on?

I found my BD 83 sucks with hand shakes if set to auto.

I dont have any issues with my older unit like you have.

And I love the Zoom feature, the 1/2 zoom fits 1.78 aspect movies perfectly to my 2.35 screen hight wise. perfect player for blenders or CIH set ups.

Athansios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
This is very disappointing. It WAS my dream player.

I feel the same way... This is certainly disheartening, but then Tom isn't necessarily having the same problems.

Man, I feel so spoiled... I've had... I don't know... Probably well over a hundred or more Blu-rays in my PS3, and I haven't had a single solitary BD that didn't play perfectly.

Tom.W wrote:
Personally the blu ray format has far two many problems caused by HDCP and the studios. HD DVD's just work. Never had one that just wouldn't play.......

OMG, I had completely the opposite experience, Tom... There was a time for awhile that nearly every single HD DVD I rented from Netflix skipped, hung up, or macroblocked in at last a few places during the movie due to scratching. BD on the other hand? Every single on has come out of the envelope in pristine shape - the BD anti-scratch layer works WONDERS. Further, the HD DVD players were UNGODLY slow, locked up, and generally unreliable. They finally got it right with the third-gen players, but of course it was too late.

I was a big HD DVD advocate, but boy... After using BD for awhile, I found it far superior to HD DVD in almost every way.

I'll say it again. Every single BD I've ever thrown in my PS3 has played, and played perfectly.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the handshake issue. I run my 93 through a Monoprice 4X1 HDMI switcher then through an HDMI repeater due to the long 45ft run of 24 gauge Monoprice HDMI cable to the projector.

The HDMI signal then goes to a Fury 1 or 3 and then a Gamma X to my Barco

No HDMI/HDCP handshake issues so far at least with my Barco's using a Fury 1 or 3 ....
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Tom.W wrote:

disc firmware 38-0126

Non playing discs on the first try Kill Bill 1,Kill Bill 2, Planet Hulk, [All Blu-ray]

Lost in Space DVD looked terrible, every CGI image jumped out, making it unwatchable.

But the hanshaking bit was terrible I tried the 93 on the down stairs T.V. too. Same problems with different HDMI cables also.

Interesting, I have been following the thread over at AVS quite closely and your issues seem to be fairly isolated to your player. I do not recall any instances of non-playing discs. I would say that player had something wrong with it.

Did you notify OPPO when you returned it?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Crabb, The more I think about it the more I am thinking the player was defective. The Handshake issue was a real problem. Every time the player made a change it seemed like it was doing a resolution change like when you would change from 720p to 1080p our projectors will display garbled looking sinewaves, then lock to the new frequency. This particular OPPO did that from menu to top menu, from top menu to movie. And the credits were shaking too.

I did try different cables and even put the OPPO on the downstairs T.V. same issues.

In fact the longer I had the worse it was getting , I just thought it was me being annoyed by the Glitch.

Maybe it was just a faulty player.

Nashou this how I had it set up, C&P from AVS

Hmmmm, This seems to be affecting me as well, but in a different way. I have the OPPO set for 1080i on HDMI 1 going to the Mitsubishi. 1080p is set to off and 24p is set to off. When the OPPO display is pushed the lower left corner info reads as 23.967hz 16x9. The Mitsubishi is playing fine, P/Q is great, but when the disc changes from menu to active picture or from trailers to a movie the Mitsubishi shows a garbled sinewave as if it's trying to lock onto a frequency or is changing frequencies. This occurs playing a Blu-ray or DVD same appearance of resetting frequencies and display of 23.967hz. As far as I know the Mitsubishi [CRT] can not display 24hz, so this seems odd. I do know the Marquee will not sync to 24hz. But I can not check it because I am re-tubing that right now.

Tom the 93 played Avatar fine which I thought would be an issue. The 93 was not connected to the internet and the internet connection was set off. It also loaded Firefly super fast, much faster,than the Sony 550. Firefly was horribly slow to load on the Sony. I thought things were gong to be good. This issue seem to happen around day 3.

EJ, no I didn't contact OPPO as Bob Pariseau on AVS said that this glitch was normal I accepted that as the case but thinking back it was just waay too glitchy to have been "normal for the QDEO chip"

Did I miss anybody?

Anyway don't fret too much I will give OPPO another try with the 95 But if it has the same handshaking issue that will be a no go for me. It really bothered me, obviously or I would still have it maybe.

2 channel was never what I wanted and the SACD play back lacked "life"

Last edited by dturco on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DirecTV HD DVRs use to have that problem using HDMI to the plasmas. Then I hard set the output to one resolution and it fixed the problem. Was there no way to do the same on this unit?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
My DirecTV HD DVRs use to have that problem using HDMI to the plasmas. Then I hard set the output to one resolution and it fixed the problem. Was there no way to do the same on this unit?

It does and I did. I set it to 1080i which I believe is telling the unit to only send 1080i.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have got a bum unit. Mine has no issues with hand shake. But because of my TV-One scalers i do get a blue screen here and there in the transition from trailers etc to the movie. But that to me is minor.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this unit output 1080p over analog (component YrPbPr) or does it conform and down scale non HDCP Crying or Very sad
View user's photo album (33 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Does this unit output 1080p over analog (component YrPbPr) or does it conform and down scale non HDCP Crying or Very sad

While I don't know this unit as I understand manufacturers are currently not able to pass 1080P over any analog channel.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The analog sunset...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/analog-sunset-begins-all-the-new-blu-ray-players-will-only-outp/

http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=analogsunsetwp

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm setting? How up-setting.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So analog walks the plank on 12/31/2013

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/02/6255.ars

Try to find an HD Fury in the USA or Canada even today... Rolling Eyes

All hope is not lost though.

http://www.hdfury.nl/

Wink Wink Wink
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
With the newest firmware the BDP-93 will now play DVD-V, DVD-A and BluRay ISO files from hard drive.
EJ

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291855&page=376

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikjohn wrote:
FYI
With the newest firmware the BDP-93 will now play DVD-V, DVD-A and BluRay ISO files from hard drive.
EJ

This looks like it is shaping up to be the all time greatest player! I need to download and update this. I want to get one of those dual HDD docks with 2x2TB drives for all of my movies.

Bluray ISO and DVD ISO simplifies the archive process SO MUCH!
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
erikjohn wrote:
FYI
EJ

This looks like it is shaping up to be the all time greatest player! I need to download and update this. I want to get one of those dual HDD docks with 2x2TB drives for all of my movies.

Bluray ISO and DVD ISO simplifies the archive process SO MUCH!

Hell yea! Best player ever, hands down! Confirmed myself today with latest firmware ripped Across the Universe BR ISO and O Brother Where Art Thou DVD ISO and both worked played flawlessly via external HD.
EJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: