Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The new Oppo BDP-93...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys, at this point I have my entire collection ripped to ISOs using AnyDVDHD. I wanted the discs gone out of my theater, and I wanted my player tucked away in my rack with all the other components. I like selecting the title on the screen and it playing like a disc, but I'm willing to abandon ISO if there is another file type out there that retains the HD video and audio quality of the disc. I don't care about the menus or trailers, just the film and retaining the same quality as the disc.

So with that said, what do you use, and any software I need in addition to AnyDVDHD? Should I just continue to stick with ISO until I'm forced to upgrade my firmware?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

Paul

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppo is the best BD player on the planet !

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Oppo is the best BD player on the planet !

ElTopo

I take it you like it? Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Hey guys, at this point I have my entire collection ripped to ISOs using AnyDVDHD. I wanted the discs gone out of my theater, and I wanted my player tucked away in my rack with all the other components. I like selecting the title on the screen and it playing like a disc, but I'm willing to abandon ISO if there is another file type out there that retains the HD video and audio quality of the disc. I don't care about the menus or trailers, just the film and retaining the same quality as the disc.

So with that said, what do you use, and any software I need in addition to AnyDVDHD? Should I just continue to stick with ISO until I'm forced to upgrade my firmware?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

Paul

You can rip to BD folder structure instead of ISO. Oppo still supports folder structure, which functionally is no different than ISO (full BD with menus). The only place folder structure will not work is with 3D BD, there you must use ISO.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

I don't care about menus at all, and I'm not too worried about subtitles (except for certain movies)... Is ISO the only way to go for 3D, or will MKV work, too?

Thx,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no working 3D frame-packed standard for files yet. The only way to get a 1:1 copy of a 3D BD is with ISO at this time.

This is especially frustrating because Oppo can't play ISO over lan, and there is no other media player that can yet do 3D ISO properly. DUNE says there 3D ISO player will be available Q1 next year, but they have a long tradition of missing release dates by 9-12 months or more.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Hey Craig,

I don't care about menus at all, and I'm not too worried about subtitles (except for certain movies)... Is ISO the only way to go for 3D, or will MKV work, too?

Thx,
SC

You may want to look at DVDFab as your software solution than (over AnyDVD). DVDFab can copy BD in many ways including "entire disc" or "movie only" (without trailers, menus, FBI warnings, etc), and output it as ISO, folder structure, MKV, ts, or m2ts. All of these require no compression and are lossless. The nice thing about DVDFab is that you select which audio tracks and which subtitle tracks you want to keep. I usually only keep the HD audio and I always keep all english subtitles to be sure I have any "forced" subtitles. When I copy movies I almost always use DVDFab in movie only mode to BD folder. That way it plays just like a BD disc, but without trailers, adds, or menus.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, DVDfab loks promissing. Now I need to get a BD player for my Mac Mini server and build a media Storage Drive array .

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy-for-mac.htm

One more Thing, what about Regions? Can you play other region BD's?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
WOW, DVDfab loks promissing. Now I need to get a BD player for my Mac Mini server and build a media Storage Drive array .

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy-for-mac.htm

Nashou

I'm building an 18TB NAS right now. I'm using FreeNAS, a cheap MSI motherboard, an AMD Athalon x2, and 8 gig or ram (maybe upgrade to 16gig later). The NAS cost less than $300 to build, now comes the 3TB hard drives Rolling Eyes

I'll post more info about this system later as I think it may be good in its own thread with a detailed explaination...

I'm going to sell my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v1 including 4x2TB hard drives. It's been awsome and reliable, but I want more space now and redundancy Twisted Evil

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Different Region BD's how does it handle that?

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDFab can be set to remove region code. This is actually the default setting; region free.

My only knock on DVDFab is that historically it's been much buggier than AnyDVD. But for me it has worked very well for the pat year+.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
I already have a DUNE BASE 3.0 in the theater and also the BDP-93 so I am not looking for another player... The only ISO files I want the BDP-93 to play are 3D BD ISO's as everything else ISO related is handled by the DUNE.

I tried the BDP-93 with a USB HD and 3D ISO flies and they did play. This is fantastic, but I wish it could just pull the files off the NAS where all my other media files are already located. That being said the Oppo doing 3D ISO is still a huge improvement for me because the DUNE can't do 3D ISO playback so I was having to convert BD 3D discs to 3DSBS @ 1080p 24Hz and that was not really worth the trouble let alone the negative impact on video quality Wink

It is funny to me that Oppo suddenly has decided to support ISO files when this was considered a no no before...

craigr

Was this feature lost during a firmware update for the 93 ?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the industry came down on OPPO and forced them to take out BD ISO playback.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Yeah, the industry came down on OPPO and forced them to take out BD ISO playback.

craigr

Now I remember why I turned automatic firmware updates off when I did... Wink

Looks like the BDP-93 is a victim of the analog sunset rule taking effect in 2013.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

The new replacement seems to be missing a few key features Rolling Eyes
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, unlike Sony removing other OS support and Apple removing Google Maps in iOS 6. It is wonderful being a consumer and getting a portion of what you paid for taken away from you post sale.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Yep, unlike Sony removing other OS support and Apple removing Google Maps in iOS 6. It is wonderful being a consumer and getting a portion of what you paid for taken away from you post sale.

AGAIN, OPPO NEVER OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED ISO PLAYBACK AND NEVER HAD ISO PLAYBACK LISTED AS A FEATURE!!!

While I agree that it sucks to lose ISO playback, it has nothing to do with OPPO. And OPPO never sold the ISO playback feature and it was never listed on any of their documentation. Therefor saying that OPPO took something away that was paid for is simply irrational.

I find it unbelievable that consumers expect free features with hardware they buy and then bitch when manufacturers don't support features that they never intended to make available.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Oppo is not to blame. The same people that forced Oppo to remove the option created this cluster f*ck. DOT or Digital Only Token and ICT or image constrain token coming soon at your local home theater.

http://media.extron.com/download/files/whitepaper/analog_sunset.pdf

Now their using the media itself to turn off features you paid for on your player..... Crying or Very sad
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
WanMan wrote:

AGAIN, OPPO NEVER OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED ISO PLAYBACK AND NEVER HAD ISO PLAYBACK LISTED AS A FEATURE!!!

While I agree that it sucks to lose ISO playback, it has nothing to do with OPPO. And OPPO never sold the ISO playback feature and it was never listed on any of their documentation. Therefor saying that OPPO took something away that was paid for is simply irrational.

I find it unbelievable that consumers expect free features with hardware they buy and then bitch when manufacturers don't support features that they never intended to make available.

craigr
I understand this and recognize this, but they knew the feature was being offered, even in unadvertised form, and I bet even more they counted on benefiting from sales by folks that sought it. Even I considered the Oppo for this feature. I'm glad I chose to be lazy--unfortunately I cannot say that for the products by the other two characters.

Still, I am betting there are some that didn't wait, bought for this reason, and got stung in the process. And no manufacture accidentally builds an ability into a product--its there by intentional design.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amenda8998 wrote:
why don't you tria?? I have used it for almost 2 years.when i bought it, to my surprise, it can turn SD to HD without losing quality. It's an easy to use and professional blu ray player software for windows, including Windows 8. of course, it fully integrates with Windows Media Center too. maybe you should try. believe me, it is satisfying. beyond your surprise, it's also a 3d video player.

Spam Rolling Eyes
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
amenda8998 wrote:
why don't you tria?? I have used it for almost 2 years.when i bought it, to my surprise, it can turn SD to HD without losing quality. It's an easy to use and professional blu ray player software for windows, including Windows 8. of course, it fully integrates with Windows Media Center too. maybe you should try. believe me, it is satisfying. beyond your surprise, it's also a 3d video player.

Spam Rolling Eyes

Why yes it is Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: