Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The new Oppo BDP-93...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: The new Oppo BDP-93... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know a few people have known about this player for some time, but I thought I'd start a thread on it for some discussion on the new features, and which of you are planning on buying or upgrading.

Personally, I've been using my PS3 for all my Blu-ray playback for a couple of years now because I've never felt any of the standalone players offered a significant upgrade over what I was watching.

One thing that was frustrating to me was that the industry seems to be gravitating toward two general price ranges: Under $300 for a cheap-feeling, plastic-y machine, or $500 and over for something with some good design, good build quality, and an aluminum face, but often with a lesser feature set than the under-$300 machines.

Oppo was a perfect example because I had to choose between the less expensive BDP-80 with plastic faceplate or the $500 BDP-83 with better build quality. Still, I'm a designer so the hard part for me was I just didn't like the industrial design. It just looked and felt cheap in spite of what I knew was contained within. Hey, I'm a designer - I have different priorities and sensitivities than some of you.

So, I wasn't categorically opposed to spending $500 on a player; I just wanted it to look and feel like a $500 player. Well, if the early product renderings are any indication, I think Oppo just solved the problem with the BDP-93.

Nice!!!

Besides a much-improved industrial design, it looks like they've added some great new features, too...

- New Marvell Kyoto-G2 video processor
- Netflix
- eSATA port for mounting an external drive
- Dual HDMI outputs

I'll have to save a few pennies, but I think I might have finally found my next BD player. Wink

Discuss.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BLK24S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B004BLK24S

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/oppo_readies_bdp-93_3d_blu-ray_player

SC
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already on the waiting list. But thanks for posting.

Oh and one way to save your pennies for this is ....don't go to SEMA ans CEDIA in the same year. Laughing Razz

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
I'm already on the waiting list. But thanks for posting.

I figured some were, but I didn't see a thread discussing the new player, so I thought I'd start one.

dturco wrote:
Oh and one way to save your pennies for this is ....don't go to SEMA ans CEDIA in the same year. Laughing Razz

True dat, but to be fair SEMA was a paid gig so that was pennies going in the jar. CEDIA was definitely an expense, though.

SC
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually quite amazed at how, up until the announcement, "how close to the vest" Oppo kept their cards on this one. When many of the mainstream companies were introducing 3D capable players and people were starting to ask Oppo about this, I doubt if many people knew they had a player well along in development. I have the BDP83 and an earlier model Oppo DVD player in another room in my home and without a doubt while other companies are looking to the next model, Oppo continues to provide unprecedented after market service.

I won't really need it but, I will probably eventually buy the BDP93 anyway.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the dual outputs to use in a stack or a blend. one less pice of gear needed if all you use your theater for is movies.

I wish RS 232 was a standard option on it.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I like the dual outputs to use in a stack or a blend. one less pice of gear needed if all you use your theater for is movies.

Athanasios

You can use this for a blend,well how bout' that. Wink

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

You can use this for a blend,well how bout' that. Wink

Well, it won't blend but now you can eliminate the Splitter. Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the pre-release offer to buy it for the same retail price today.

It does look sweet but I don't think I can justify spending that much on technology that changes so damn fast. The cheapy (under $300) provide the same digital quality and I don't watch DVD's anymore so who cares about the video processor?

I would love to own one but don't think I will.

I don't know if I can give away my pre-release link since it has my email in it...plus I assume you guys all received one as well.

I was hoping the 83 would go on sale and conveniently enough it is no longer available.

They go from having three models available to having none. Crying or Very sad
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much you willing to pay for the 83? I might want to upgrade if I can get the 93 with RS 232. you'll have first dibs on mine If I do go with the new model.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same pre-release offer email today as well. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the 83 model when the 93 came along. Still thinking............

Santa Wish List!!!!

wallace

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, too. Better get the wife to gift wrap it for me.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
How much you willing to pay for the 83? I might want to upgrade if I can get the 93 with RS 232. you'll have first dibs on mine If I do go with the new model.

Athanasios

Now that is tempting. Let me know when you get ready to get the new one.
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the waiting list too but I think I am going to wait for the BDP-95 that will be more on par with the BDP-83SE as far as the quality of the DAC's on the 8-Channel outputs and it will have dedicated DAC for 2-channel listening. Since my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs I will be using the analog outs for the newer audio formats on Blu-ray. Unfortunately if the pricing is in line with the SE version it will run about $900 bucks which is a tough pill to swallow.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for 2 channel now? Unless whatever your using is terrible why pay more for something that will be redundant? I still use my Integra 10.5 with discreet 2 channel Wolfson Dacs for what little 2 channel listening I do any more. My Sony bdp s550 has 8 channel analog outs and was bought because it had them with no thoughts of using it for 2 channel at all. Good thing too, because the 550's stereo out sucks.

When I "upgrade" to the Oppo I will move the Sony downstairs to my Samsung slimfit CRT T.V.

So I wouldn't worry about waiting unless of course you have nothing for 2 channel at all.

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Me, too. Better get the wife to gift wrap it for me.

Funny; my wife has to gift wrap a bunch of blu-rays and other assorted electronics every year. Nothing in the boxes as I have already been using the items for some time. Mr. Green

wallace

erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
What are you using for 2 channel now? Unless whatever your using is terrible why pay more for something that will be redundant? I still use my Integra 10.5 with discreet 2 channel Wolfson Dacs for what little 2 channel listening I do any more. My Sony bdp s550 has 8 channel analog outs and was bought because it had them with no thoughts of using it for 2 channel at all. Good thing too, because the 550's stereo out sucks.

When I "upgrade" to the Oppo I will move the Sony downstairs to my Samsung slimfit CRT T.V.

So I wouldn't worry about waiting unless of course you have nothing for 2 channel at all.

Nothing on the 2-channel, could care less about that really but I will be inputting the 8-Channel analog into my Yamaha RX-Z9 and probably converting back to digital there for DSP processing so I am thinking that the better DAC's will make a difference for me. The BDP-95 is supposed to have much better DAC's on the 8-Channel outputs. I assume more headroom, less lossy.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the pre-release offer and jumped on it. I think it ships out tomorrow, so when I get it I'll do a review on it for those on the fence.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my wife just placed the order and the date when she brought it up now says November 30th as the begin shipping date.

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting in my rack, what do you guys want to know?

Oh, I have an 83 that I'm getting rid of, and a region-free mod to go with it if anyone is interested.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: