Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Lens for DLP/LED projector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Lens for DLP/LED projector Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need to find a short throw lens for a DLP projector that has LED light source. The DLP is the 0.96" diagonal, the throw distance is 112", and the lens needs to be 0.9 to 1.1. You would think this would be easy but the DLP lens has to be located almost 2" from the DLP imager. There is some type of prism gizmo between the DLP and the end element of the lens.

I"ve tried a few different lenses and those for LCD and LCoS projectors can't get close enough to the imager to focus. The DLP lenses are made for the 0.67" diagonal imager so the lenses end up being like 0.7 or 0.8 with the projected picture being too big at the required throw distance.

Any ideas?

Scott

Thomas Jefferson
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens for DLP/LED projector Reply with quote

tse wrote:
I need to find a short throw lens for a DLP projector that has LED light source. The DLP is the 0.96" diagonal, the throw distance is 112", and the lens needs to be 0.9 to 1.1. You would think this would be easy but the DLP lens has to be located almost 2" from the DLP imager. There is some type of prism gizmo between the DLP and the end element of the lens.

I"ve tried a few different lenses and those for LCD and LCoS projectors can't get close enough to the imager to focus. The DLP lenses are made for the 0.67" diagonal imager so the lenses end up being like 0.7 or 0.8 with the projected picture being too big at the required throw distance.

Any ideas?

Scott

I'm at a lost as to what the numbers mean, but for now I have a lens from my test bed Mirage DLP I could loan you if it would help. I'll have Barco's in next week, but be mindful that they are all the larger commercial projectors these lenses are from.

I may be even more helpful If knew what to look for or what size or mounting part that fits into the projector.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ used to have a couple of DLP lenses.
tse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the offer. That is very kind of you.

The lens in your picture is a 1.5 - 2.2 : 1 throw lens. That means picture width (minimum) = projector distance from screen / 2.2 and picture width (max) = distance from screen / 1.5. So if projector is 10' from the screen the picture can be adjusted from 4.55' to 6.67' wide. I'm sure you know this I'm just mentioning it for reference.

I need a lens that is more like 0.9 - 1.1 : 1 so the picture width is about the same as the projector distance from the screen.

The size of the DLP plays a part in this, too. Larger imager means larger projected image. Alot of the DLP imagers are 0.67" diagonal so would be 0.536" wide (if 4:3 aspect) and 0.583" wide (if 16:9 aspect). The imager that I'm dealing with is 0.96" diagonal or 0.814" wide. As far as I know only native 1400x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200 DLPs are this size.

Apparently the different projector technologies require the rearmost lens element to be located at different distances from the imager with LCD and LCoS having a very small distance and the DLP types are much further away. I'm pretty sure that only a lens designed for DLP projectors will work because of this.

A custom mounting arraignment will have to be made. Probably every manufacturer has their own way of mounting the lens to the projector. Check out my lens positioning set-up.

Scott

LensRig.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.18 KB
 Viewed:  14469 Time(s)

LensRig.JPG

Thomas Jefferson
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Scott! Is that some spit and baling wire I see just behind the lens??? Laughing Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.....where's the duct tape? Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rube Goldberg would be proud Smile

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott. I'm not sure if there's a particular lens set for DLP and something different for LCD.

I took a few shots showing where the lenses fit into three different digital projectors. I'm thinking based on what I'm able to see looking into the projectors themselves is that it all depends on where the lens is mounted to the assembly. I'm sure I'm most likely wrong on this, because I very little experience with the lenses on these projectors.

Anyway, I'll make a few calls and see what's out there concerning lenses. I'll see if I can get a picture first and send you.

Barco SIM 6 Ultra 2 - LCD

-------------------------

Christie Digital Mirage - DLP

-------------------------

Panasonic WXGA 6000 - DLP

No problem at all if we can help with this. We/they know you'll do the same for us.

tse

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the DLP projectors are similar. There is a thick chunk of glass between the back of the lens and the actual DLP imager. That keeps the back of the lens from getting too close. Some lenses can't get close enough to focus. I think those are the ones made for LCD. There is nothing to keep the lens from getting close to those. That has been the problem that I've ran into while checking out a few different lenses. They just can't get close enough to focus.

And all you guys making fun of my lens positioner, phhffffft! Mr. Green

Whaddda ya want from an electron pusher? Imma notta optical expert.

Scott

DLPChip.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.2 KB
 Viewed:  14415 Time(s)

DLPChip.JPG

Thomas Jefferson
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do have two lenses which MIGHT be of some utility.

They're the two Minolta DLP zoom lenses made for the early generation 3 chip DLP machines. One is the 1.5 to 3.0:1 lens and
the other is the 4.0 to 7.0:1 lens.

Scott, you're welcome to use them if you want.

CJ
pbody140

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.9 to 1... ive been looking for one of those for some time... let me know when you find it!

only other option is navitar or similar...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: