Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Using Black Felt Behind Screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
betel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Using Black Felt Behind Screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A couple of weeks ago I set up a fast fold screen outside. I was surprized how much light was emitted from the backside of the screen. I think is was more than the front actually. In my HT I use a Da-lite Permwall 1.3 gain screen that appears to be a similar material. It just occurred to me I'm probably getting light spill behind the screen that is reflecting onto the screen face, compromising the black level among other things. I intend to install some black felt behind my screen as soon as I can locate it. I'm sure this has been discussed before but the concept is new to me and I'm too lazy to search.

Anyone tried this and what were the results?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never needed it, because my first screen was blackout material (which is specifically designed to block all light), which was recently replaced by Wilsonart Designer White (which is thoroughly opaque Smile).

But yes, if your screen material leaks light, then I would think a black backing is a good idea. Felt is probably overkill.
betel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the screen off the frame a bit and shined a flashlight on the face. The screen barely blocks the light. Definitely give it a try.

How's the Wilsonart matarial working out for you and what did you laminate it to?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working fine, though not as much of a dramatic step up from the BO cloth as I hoped.

I laminated it to some foil-backed foam stuff. Very light, but very rigid with the Wilsonart glued on.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not paint the back of the screen with some white or silver or aluminum colored paint? Seems like it would tend to make the light that reaches the backside of the screen material reflect back to the front and make it brighter. Better than having all that light scattering around behind the screen.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered that about 5 years or so ago when I set up my Hurley screen, so I hung some royal velvet about 3" behind the screen and if I recall correctly it was a big improvement. I'm still using it. I do recall mentioning it either here or the other site.

Actually I think it's more like 1.5" behind the screen.

Last edited by WTS on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are hanging something with color (something other than black or white) are you essentially tinting the otherwise white screen?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense to me, jkruger, but if it was that simple you'd think Da-Lite would do it...
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Da-lite permwall screen. Behind my screen I have 'landscape' fabric (the black vinyl plastic used to block weed growth around shrubs, etc). Really cheap and easier than painting.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would help especially with ANSI cr.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was black and yes I'm sure if you hung anything of colour behind your screen that it might take on a hue of that colour.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
I discovered that about 5 years or so ago when I set up my Hurley screen, so I hung some royal velvet about 3" behind the screen and if I recall correctly it was a big improvement. I'm still using it. I do recall mentioning it either here or the other site.

Yes you told me to do that when i ordered mine. never did but I might. What i want to do is test it first.
I want to take a measurement with the probe off the screen with no backing, my wall is dark blue Ralph lauren Suede paint that has a sandy texture. see what the 100% white field reads . then add the black backing on the wall and take another read. if there is a large difference I will have to take my screen down and do it over.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I would think if it's paint it will reflect alot more light regardless of colour or texture than it would if it was velvet, but give it a try and see what you think.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many manufacturer recommend black felt behind vinyl screens, if I remember correct 1" or bigger gap was recommended by Stewart.

I used about 2" gap between Draper M1300 material and black bed-sheet behind it. I also painted brackets matt black.
Then I used white bed-sheet behind black one, so screen was quite imperceptible when flipped against ceiling.

www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2249&d=1077783320
www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2250&d=1077783332
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
Many manufacturer recommend black felt behind vinyl screens, if I remember correct 1" or bigger gap was recommended by Stewart.

I used about 2" gap between Draper M1300 material and black bed-sheet behind it. I also painted brackets matt black.
Then I used white bed-sheet behind black one, so screen was quite imperceptible when flipped against ceiling.

www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2249&d=1077783320
www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2250&d=1077783332
Seymour actually sells black acoustical fabric to place behind their screens if your walls are not dark.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash,
What is the distance between your screen and wall?
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this very thing recently. My old screen has tons of bleed-through and the walls are white, so during bright scenes it gets all blown out. ES CRTs have that bright halo defocus already so it's pretty annoying.

What's the cheapest solution for black backing? I checked out that Seymour backing and it's way too expensive. Can I just hang some of this generic landscape fabric behind the screen? I also thought of taping black construction paper to flattened cardboard boxes (just to make sure it's totally opaque).

Also, my 1272 doesn't have very high lumens, so would it be such a bad idea to hang something opaque and white right up against the back of the screen? If it's right there it seems like there wouldn't be so much diffusion and blow-out that way, and maybe it would just increase the brightness.

After I get this figured out I need something pitch-black but cosmetically acceptable to wrap my shiny faux-wood-finish speakers in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: