Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

TV Tint Question regarding older TV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: TV Tint Question regarding older TV. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What is determining the visual brown tint that I experience whilst watching an older TV [PAL]. (22 years)

Is it component age, a characteristic of the components. The RGB bias or drive shifted.

Here is a simulated example created from a personal photo.

Can this be changed by exchanging components? Is it kelvin temperature chosen when the set was built?

Thanks,

Paul.

skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just having a read through this guide at the moment: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually (post a screen shot!) it's due to a weak picture tube. Back about 1990, there were a bunch of crap tubes cranked out as manufacturers cheapened everything to keep up with the price war. Zenith back in the 50s to late 70s made awesome tubes for example, as they made their own in the Rauland factory. That changed in the 1980s, and by 1990 the tubes were lasting barely out of the warranty period. I can't remember if they sold Rauland and outsourced the tubes, but they were complete crap for a long time.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to add, there are almost always G2 controls for direct view sets, most also had drive controls, but you'd more or less need to put the tube on a CRT tester to see how far off the three internal electron guns are. If they are too far off, you won't be able to properly balance the white balance, as one gun is usually down in the mud for emission, and the AKB circuit internally (auto white balance circuit) can't compensate for the weak tube.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit OT Curt but how do you like your Sencore CR7000 CRT tester ?
skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Curt.

I very gently tweaked the RED and BLUE [bias] on the neckboard last night (eyeballing) which made a big difference, but I can still see that RED is predominate so I would say the DRIVE was the cause.

I am incline to think, where I've pointed to, are the DRIVES as they are next to the mainboard EHT.

Couple of things that I thought odd about this set is there's no FOCUS, no SCREEN, no convergence controls.

Another "characteristic" is when powered ON the image has a sort of 'overdriven' SCREEN effect that calms after a second.

On intense white image (as illustrated) all three colours momentarily flood a little (3D effect) then re-converge.

Hope I'm not being too finicky with this set, I don't really know what's acceptable normal and what needs attention. Confused

I think it's had a rough life with Contrast too high as the top left corner looks burnt. Sad

That CRT tester sounds cool, love to experiment with that type of meter. (Imagine they're pricey.)

Paul.

skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
A bit OT Curt but how do you like your Sencore CR7000 CRT tester ?

Just watched a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1aqRgIZYak video regarding this meter, looks fascinating!

skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
you won't be able to properly balance the white balance, as one gun is usually down in the mud for emission, and the AKB circuit internally (auto white balance circuit) can't compensate for the weak tube.

hence why everything appears tinted offset against the inbalance.

Excellent advice Curt. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: