Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Gatorboard screen or ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Gatorboard screen or ??? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Somebody told me in PM (?) about a screen material they used that was sub $50 for a 4x8 sheet and I've forgotten who it was or what exactly the material is. For the amount of time I have available to get to the HT it just isn't worth it to spend alot. Open to all el-cheap-o suggestions - except for anything involving paint! Laughing

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by JustGreg on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilsonart Laminate??

Blackout Cloth from Jo-Anns Fabrics??

White sheet??
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham was probably talking about Gatorboard or Sintra; he seems to think it would work well for screen material. It certainly may, but I think he's dreaming about getting a 4x8 sheet of any of those materials for $50 or less. Supposedly, he had a great price on some , but I'd guess at least $100/sheet for any sort of Gator or Sintra in 4x8, and then then you're well into Wilsonart DW ballpark... The Wilsonart is also MUCH less susceptible to damage.

The only thing I can think of that's über-cheap - like under $50 - would be something like the old Parkland Plastics material guys used to use from Home Depot or Lowes, but I couldn't even find any last time I looked.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkland plastics Plas-Tex waterproof wall covering in bright white. Cheap and available at any home depot or the like and very similar to Wilsonart.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't PM you, but Crabb is correct in that I have tried Gatorboard and love it. I bought a 4x8 piece for $60. I would probably buy a thicker piece next time, but this one is not that flexible. It is also one piece, so it doesn't need to be mounted on anything like DW. It is also very light. It isn't as durable as DW if that is a concern, but it isn't fragile either. I am going to send some samples of Gatorboard, Gatorplast, Sintra and Durabond to the guys at the shack for some measurements, if you want to wait.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I didn't PM you, but Crabb is correct in that I have tried Gatorboard and love it. I bought a 4x8 piece for $60. I would probably buy a thicker piece next time, but this one is not that flexible. It is also one piece, so it doesn't need to be mounted on anything like DW. It is also very light. It isn't as durable as DW if that is a concern, but it isn't fragile either. I am going to send some samples of Gatorboard, Gatorplast, Sintra and Durabond to the guys at the shack for some measurements, if you want to wait.

Sorry for the belated reply...long hours at work and all... Thumbs Down
Thumbs Up Yup that's the stuff Spanky. I knew it was somewhere around $50. No worries about as durable as DW...no kiddies and I'm too old for wild beer bottle flinging parties. Laughing
WTH, I'll give the Gatorboard a try. I'm fed up with trying to get BOC and paint 'just right'. (A painter I'm not and apparently never will be) Wink

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I mentioned that to you in a PM once. It's called Melamine and it's available at Home Depot. It was $35 for a 4x8 sheet a little over a year ago. It's 3/4" thick with a white laminate on both sides. You just rip it to 16x9 and mount it with some "L" brackets.

Dale
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
Parkland plastics Plas-Tex waterproof wall covering in bright white. Cheap and available at any home depot or the like and very similar to Wilsonart.

+1 My Parkland Plastics screen has been up for 8 years. Still looks great, however the material might not be available anymore, I'm not sure. I probably will replace it when when the NEC goes to CRT heaven, because at that time I'll probably do a CIH setup.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Melamine is that it is usually to glossy. I haven't seen a piece yet that didn't hotspot. As for Parkland, I guess it is good if you can get it. Unfortunately, availability is/was limited.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My melamine screen doesn't hotspot with my barco, unless I crank up the brightness too high. If you do a proper grayscale adjustment you should have it dialed in nice, which you should do with any new screen really.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have been lucky in that you got one that doesn't have a lot of gloss or your ft/lmbs are so low that it doesn't have the issue. Either way, the Gatorboard is a great screen. You can get it in 5x10 and it is light. I think it weighs around 8 lbs. I was going to just hang it like a picture.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip SH. I'd be curious to see some. Not sure where to get it around these parts.

Dale
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say a 5x10 piece of 1/2" Gatorfoam should be well over $100. That's still not bad, of course if you can do a 10'-wide scope screen for anywhere near $150-200.

Has anybody measured or even just tried to compare the gain on the gator vs. DW? The idea of a piece of foam that's 10-15 pounds is VERY attractive. In fact, I have an acquaintance starting a project now, and the Gator screen would save him a day or so of work in the garage...

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to PM mechman and the others over at the shack to get their addresses. I was going to let theme do the testing. I was also going to send some samples out to Darinp. Darin brought up the negative of transporting it. Yes, you would probably need a van or truck, but you would need either of those two for MDF or plywood to back a DW.

I did my own testing and found the Gator to be pretty good, but it is low gloss. So, the gain is probably around 1. Sintra is higher gloss and probably around DW, so it probably has the same sort of gain. Dibond is to glossy, but would be the absolute best screen if they could do a barium sulfate low gloss finish.

As for cost, I got mine from Parkland Plastics. There are several around the US mostly east of the Miss. I paid $60 for 4x8 and I forgot to ask the price on 5x10. I think Sintra was $15 more for 4x8.

To me, the best part is the fact that there is no work involved. Put a mask around it, hang it and you are done.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I'd love to see a sample of the gatorboard stuff. Would parkland send out samples?

dale
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
The problem with Melamine is that it is usually to glossy. I haven't seen a piece yet that didn't hotspot. As for Parkland, I guess it is good if you can get it. Unfortunately, availability is/was limited.

Yes, everything over 1.0 will hotspot and have colorsift. Extra gain have always down side.

My current melamine screen have about 1.3 gain, so it's not that bad with actual video. Hotspot level is about same that Stewart studiotek130 had, when I loaned it from my friend. But it's tab higher than my previous Draper M1300 was.

If that start to bother me some day, I will grind melamine with grinding machine (eccentric) using around 1000 grit paper to get surface completely matt. Very Happy
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I need to PM mechman and the others over at the shack to get their addresses. I was going to let theme do the testing.

Let me know. I can get readings from it whenever you'd like. Gator Board and Sintra are a couple that I've been wanting to look at for a while but I've been busy with other things.
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Yes, everything over 1.0 will hotspot and have colorsift. Extra gain have always down side.

My current melamine screen have about 1.3 gain, so it's not that bad with actual video. Hotspot level is about same that Stewart studiotek130 had, when I loaned it from my friend. But it's tab higher than my previous Draper M1300 was.

If that start to bother me some day, I will grind melamine with grinding machine (eccentric) using around 1000 grit paper to get surface completely matt. Very Happy

Is it safe to assume you're talking about melamine only? Or glossy materials? Because Wilsonart Designer White does not hot spot or color shift and it has a gain of ~1.3. It could hot spot if you're set up wrong. But properly set up, it should not.

Gloss does create problems though. Anything above eggshell finish in paint starts to hot spot. And then there's the whole 'add 20-30% polyurethane' fix that's always seen elsewhere. I've just finished a bunch of testing on polyurethane (Minwax Polycrylic) mixed with paint and it causes a pretty significant shift (towards yellow) in just 8 months. While the flat enamel (matte) and eggshell paints had very little, if any, movement at all.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechman wrote:
Is it safe to assume you're talking about melamine only? Or glossy materials?

I was speaking about glossy materials, I didn't know you can get over 1.0 gain from completely matt surface.

mechman wrote:
Because Wilsonart Designer White does not hot spot or color shift and it has a gain of ~1.3.

All 1.1-1.3 gain screen materials that I have seen had small amount of brightness uniformity and it was possible to see for example with full white picture. I guess it's more evident with crt projector because light output is lower, so eyes can easier detect that kind small uniformity differences with full white.

Glossy 1.1-1.3 gain materials have also "color sift" with crt projectors, because what you are actually seeing is individual hotspots for each rgb colors that are projected from different locations horizontally.
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. All glossy materials that I have seen hot spot as well. Designer White though, is used by several CRt users and all of them love it. Clarence is/was one of the biggest fans of DW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: