Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aenglish

TV/Projector: Barco BG808s (2002 build)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just recieved my new EXT-FullHD v2 last week and had a chance to play on the weekend. First of all, I am thrilled with the improvment it has made to my picture. The black boost and gamma adjustments are AWESOME!

I am having some issues with handshaking though my amplifier. I have a WDTV, PS3, and a Pace cable box connected through an Onkyo TX-SR706 reciever to the Moome wich resides on top of my Barco BG808s projector. I can get the menu screens on the WDTV, PS3, and the Onkyo to come up every time, but when playing back movies from either the WDTV or PS3 it can take several minutes for the reciever to complete the handshake. I get short bursts of audio while it is attempting the handshake and sometimes it will lock up after 2 or 3 attempte, but sometimes it will take over 10 before it locks, and sometimes it will not lock at all. When the image does lock, the images quality is great, but the initial handshake seems rather intermitant. The Pace cable box will not lock up at all, I just keep getting continued attempts at handshaking.

I have not tried any of the devices directly to the moome at this point, allthough that is my next step (have to pull my components out to change the wiring, no time last night). I did not have this handshake problem with the HDFury3 (beta) that was in place before, I did have some image issues once it was locked, thus the reason I replaced it with the Moome box.

BTW, I have the WDTV and PS3 set to 1080p only, the Pace box is set to 1080i (although 720p made not difference) and the Onkyo 706 is set to output 1080p only on the HDMI output. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited by aenglish on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
aenglish

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time to try a few things tonight and here is what I found.

Connecting either the PS3 or the Pace STB directly to the Moome box seems to lock in short order at any resolution.

When these sources are connected to the Onkyo with the moome disconected the reciever indicates a locked signal and I get audio.

When the moome is connected to the Onkyo, I loose the audio from the source and the reciver goes in and out of lock. When it does lock momentarily I get audio, but no picture. have tried with the Onkyo's HDMI output set to Through, 1080i, 1080p, 720p with the same results.

When I seem to be stuck in my 'handshake loop', I can sometimes get it to lock by either movingthe cable from input 0 to input 1 on the moome, or quickly unpluging the cable from the reciever to the moome for less than 1 second and pluggin it back in (either at the input of the moome or output of the reciever). Unplugging the cable for more than 1 second doesn't seem to have any effect and it continues in the loop. Once I have a lock, switching to another input on the reciever or changin resolution on the source I have to start this process all over again.

Lets see if I can explain this, it seems almost like there is a handshake timing issue between the reciever and the moome. When switching inputs, the moome starts to cycle between it's two inputs (I only have one connected) and the reciever atempts to lock to the signal. It almost seems like when the reciever gets a lock on the signal, the moome is maybe looking at the input that is not connected and by the time the moome is looking at the valid input the reciever the hanshake cyle is restarting and the moome goes back to the invalid input.

If that doesn't make sense, may this will. The reciever and the moome seems to be slightly out of sync in the handshacking process on the reciever and the input switching/searching on the moome. By briefly interupting this process by unpluginhg the cable from the reciver to the moome it sometimes gets this back in sync and it locks.

Is there a way to disable the auto input searching on the moome? In my current configuration I will only ever use 1 input and don't need this feature. If I could disable this it may help me troubleshoot my issues further.

Am I on to something here or am I going down the wrong path? ANY feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 3 of testing.

I tried hooking up my WDTV to the second input on the moome thus enabling manual switching of the inputs. I had the Pace box through the reciever to the first input on the moome. This didn't fix anything as when the reciever is trying to lock to the pace box the moome automatically switches to the second input (WDTV) as it momentarily looses the input from the reciever as it tries to lock.

I read someone else was also having similar trouble and but a cheap HDMI switch on the output of the reciever to resolve it. I had such a switch kicking around and put it in the chain between the reciever and the moome. This has improved things to the point that I have a 25% chance the reciever will lock on the PS3 or Pace input, compared to a 0% chance without the HDMI switch (only locks by unpluging the reciever output and plugging it back in quickly as stated in my testing from yesterday).

I still think if I would have better success if I could disable the auto switching on the moome, but I'm not sure if this would be possible.

This should not be that difficult to get going. Since all my input devices seem to work plugged directly into the moome I just don't see what is different when I insert the reciever between them? I would really appreciate a fresh perspective and maybe something else to try.

Thanks,
Alan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

aenglish wrote:
I just recieved my new EXT-FullHD v2 last week and had a chance to play on the weekend. First of all, I am thrilled with the improvment it has made to my picture. The black boost and gamma adjustments are AWESOME!

I am having some issues with handshaking though my amplifier. I have a WDTV, PS3, and a Pace cable box connected through an Onkyo TX-SR706 reciever to the Moome wich resides on top of my Barco BG808s projector. I can get the menu screens on the WDTV, PS3, and the Onkyo to come up every time, but when playing back movies from either the WDTV or PS3 it can take several minutes for the reciever to complete the handshake. I get short bursts of audio while it is attempting the handshake and sometimes it will lock up after 2 or 3 attempte, but sometimes it will take over 10 before it locks, and sometimes it will not lock at all. When the image does lock, the images quality is great, but the initial handshake seems rather intermitant. The Pace cable box will not lock up at all, I just keep getting continued attempts at handshaking.

I have not tried any of the devices directly to the moome at this point, allthough that is my next step (have to pull my components out to change the wiring, no time last night). I did not have this handshake problem with the HDFury3 (beta) that was in place before, I did have some image issues once it was locked, thus the reason I replaced it with the Moome box.

BTW, I have the WDTV and PS3 set to 1080p only, the Pace box is set to 1080i (although 720p made not difference) and the Onkyo 706 is set to output 1080p only on the HDMI output. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

Dear Alan:
did you turn off the 1080P 24Hz on PS3?

thanks
aenglish

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

moome wrote:

Yes, 24Hz is off on the PS3 and reciever.

As I stated, this is a problem with the PS3, Pace 775D, and WDTV when connected through the Onkyo 706 reciever. I have tried 1080p/60, 1080i/30, and 720p all with the same result. I have set the HDMI output of the reciver to Pass Through, 1080p, 1080i, and 720p as well with no effect.

Bypassing the reciever and going direct to the Moome is the only way I can get all the handshaking complete and get a locked picture.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

aenglish wrote:
moome wrote:

Yes, 24Hz is off on the PS3 and reciever.

As I stated, this is a problem with the PS3, Pace 775D, and WDTV when connected through the Onkyo 706 reciever. I have tried 1080p/60, 1080i/30, and 720p all with the same result. I have set the HDMI output of the reciver to Pass Through, 1080p, 1080i, and 720p as well with no effect.

Bypassing the reciever and going direct to the Moome is the only way I can get all the handshaking complete and get a locked picture.

hi, it seems the wait time for auto input looking is too short.
i will build one version of software to disable the auto searching input.
maybe this can solve your problem.
can you ship back to us for upgrade?

please email to moome.liu@gmail.com for ship back assist~~
thanks
aenglish

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

moome wrote:

thanks

Is this something I could load myself? I have the technology to build a connector from the PC to the header on the EXT-FullHD to upload new firmware, or does this require some special 'magic'.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

aenglish wrote:
moome wrote:

thanks

Is this something I could load myself? I have the technology to build a connector from the PC to the header on the EXT-FullHD to upload new firmware, or does this require some special 'magic'.

do you have programmer to program the firmware?
or I send you one chip that already programed with new FW that disable auto select~~
aenglish

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

moome wrote:

or I send you one chip that already programed with new FW that disable auto select~~

I don't have a hardware programmer, but I may be able to track down a software package. Let me know what I would need. As for sending a new chip, how many pins are we talking about? I don't have a SMT solder station, but I have a pretty steady hand and have replaced some smaller surface mount chips with a standard iron and a small tip.

Let me know,

Alan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: EXT-FullHD v2 Handshaking Issues Reply with quote

aenglish wrote:
moome wrote:

I don't have a hardware programmer, but I may be able to track down a software package. Let me know what I would need. As for sending a new chip, how many pins are we talking about? I don't have a SMT solder station, but I have a pretty steady hand and have replaced some smaller surface mount chips with a standard iron and a small tip.

Let me know,

Alan

dear Alan:
it is a QFP44 chip, can you do that?

thanks
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4920&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

This is a nice product because it is a 4-HDMI in and 2-HDMI out. It allows you to separate your audio from your video. It really is best to avoid running the video through an audio receiver. It may solve your problems and provide better video. Also they have a good return policy if it does not work.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: