Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Worth it with a "limited" monitor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Uriel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Worth it with a "limited" monitor? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all, first time post here. I came across the great greyscale guide as I'm sure a lot of new people here did, and it seems straightforward enough. I do have a few concerns though. Notably in the guide there is the section about individually calibrating the RGBHighEnd/Lowend etc. My monitor lacks that specifically by name.

The closest thing I've got is when I set my color temperature manually, where I CAN adjust the red, green, and blue channels individually, but there is no "high end" or "low end" separation. Additionally, the only other main display controls are brightness/contrast/sharpness. And the brightness to me seems more like the backlight as it further augments white images if I boost it up. It's only a $190 monitor (at the time). A DCLCD 20A+. It looks nice and it gets the job done, but I'm wondering with its limited adjustment capabilities if it'd be worth it to grab an EyeOne that costs almost as much.

I do plan on getting a nice bigscreen down the road and so I'd be able to adjust that of course, but is it worth it for right now?
The guide seems to suggest so. I'm sure even with my small range of controls that it'd look significantly better. For a while, my only source of calibration was gamma test patterns with grey and black where you adjust your black level until they blend. Later I found out about 6500K and incorporated that. This resulted in a good picture but one I could never say was accurate as it was inconsistent across displays. In addition, the comparison of stock 6500K and after-calibration in the guide is what shook my "faith" in my calibration "knowledge".

Would I simply just merge the highend/lowend part in the guide since I have no way of controlling that? And as for the brightness, if it is indeed the backlight, what do I do? Worth noting that on the lowest setting (i.e. completely off) the picture is still completely visible and not borderline black like you would have on a CRT. I can't speak for LCDs with brightness all the way down other than mine.

I appreciate any help and apologize for the semi-long intro post.
Brother Uriel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the short version. Can manual color temperature adjustment (RGB) substitute for the RGBHighEnd/RGBLowEnd of the guide? And likewise, will I be fine with just what appears to be Backlight adjustment and not Brightness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: