Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Eye One Display 2 Repeatability/Calibration Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Eye One Display 2 Repeatability/Calibration Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone else seen a problem with repeatability using the eye one display 2? I can run through a calibration one day and repeat the gray scale test let’s say five times in a row. The delta E values seem pretty consistent. If I go back the next day and run it again the values are way off. For example the 20% value will go from 8.3 up to 11.3. Any idea on what could cause this? I have another question I am trying to calibrate my Samsung UN46B8500, the problem I am having is if I run my contrast down around 80 go through and set the offsets and gains I end up with a sharpe looking picture for day time but at night when watching dimly lit scenes the picture looks very hazy. So what I have read is, that this is do to the contrast being to low. So I put the contrast at 92 and recalibrate. The picture now looses its clarity but seems to improve the hazing problem in dimly lit scenes. Now my gamma curve from 50% up climbs and by the time I get to 90% it is up at around 2.5. The low end still looks good at around 2.2. So what I am hoping will help the clarity is to bring the gamma values down. I have no external adjustments to help bring the gamma curve down just at the upper end. So my thought is that adjustments need to be made in the service menu were I could get the upper part of the gamma curve down. . Not sure were to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eye One Display 2 Repeatability/Calibration Question Reply with quote

ktm250 wrote:
Has anyone else seen a problem with repeatability using the eye one display 2? I can run through a calibration one day and repeat the gray scale test let’s say five times in a row. The delta E values seem pretty consistent. If I go back the next day and run it again the values are way off. For example the 20% value will go from 8.3 up to 11.3. Any idea on what could cause this? I have another question I am trying to calibrate my Samsung UN46B8500, the problem I am having is if I run my contrast down around 80 go through and set the offsets and gains I end up with a sharpe looking picture for day time but at night when watching dimly lit scenes the picture looks very hazy. So what I have read is, that this is do to the contrast being to low. So I put the contrast at 92 and recalibrate. The picture now looses its clarity but seems to improve the hazing problem in dimly lit scenes. Now my gamma curve from 50% up climbs and by the time I get to 90% it is up at around 2.5. The low end still looks good at around 2.2. So what I am hoping will help the clarity is to bring the gamma values down. I have no external adjustments to help bring the gamma curve down just at the upper end. So my thought is that adjustments need to be made in the service menu were I could get the upper part of the gamma curve down. . Not sure were to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

You didn't indicate what calibration software you are using or the display patterns and source providing them. Always remember that any changes you make at any point in the gray and/or gamma scale will affect another so you could finish the job at one point assuming everything is exactly as you want it not knowing it has affected your start point. This is especially the case at the low end of the IRE spectrum. I have a video EQ Pro, along with an Eye One D2, which provides eleven independent points of gray scale and even then it still requires some modifications to get it where I want it to be. Calibrations are always somewhat of a compromise requiring going back and forth until you reach the point where you are satisfied. Gray scale calibrations affect gamma and visa/versa.

As far as the monitor is concerned I guess it depends on the type of technology and its age. Also, daytime viewing, especially when it comes to gamma AND contrast settings, is going to be quite different from evening, so it is logical the picture is going to look different. Since I do most of my viewing in the evening, I have calibrated my set accordingly. With monitors of recent vintage one really has to make a choice since it is very difficult to do a set-up for both viewing environments, that is, unless, one has an external video processor with multiple memory calibration functions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: