Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

60,000:1 Contrast Ratio from Sony VPLHW15
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: 60,000:1 Contrast Ratio from Sony VPLHW15 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Have you seen the SONY Bravia VPLHW15 HD1080P 1000 ANSI Lumens Home Theater SXRD Projector? I am a crt fan, just curious!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665968175

The Advanced Iris 3 function provides up to a 60,000:1 contrast ratio by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce deep black levels with stunning details.

Last edited by tuxman on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the projector came out September of last year I would say quite a few folks have seen and bought it over on AVS. Have I seen it? No, because no one in Atlanta carries it. Still, this reporting is as dated as one can get. Its replacement should be spotted in three weeks at CEDIA.
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The catch is, it's a Sony. Will it work? Smile
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Considering the projector came out September of last year I would say quite a few folks have seen and bought it over on AVS. Have I seen it? No, because no one in Atlanta carries it. Still, this reporting is as dated as one can get. Its replacement should be spotted in three weeks at CEDIA.

I can't recall keeping track...what is the expected time to market on most of the digitals released at CEDIA? When will existing models drop in price?

Not that I have money saved up for this right now....just curious.
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Ok, WanMan, your just sad because I beat you to it! First post in Digital Projectors about the Sony VPLHW15 ha! In your face!

Last edited by tuxman on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:43 am; edited 2 times in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxman wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Before I posted, I searched the fourm and didn't find any thing related to this pj. Your reply was a meaningless rant of nothing... so, thanks for nothing.

Wanman made a meaningless rant?! No way....Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
tuxman wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Before I posted, I searched the fourm and didn't find any thing related to this pj. Your reply was a meaningless rant of nothing... so, thanks for nothing.

hahaha seems he has a reputation around here! anyways just looking for some constructive conversation, and don't want to seem rude, so I edited my previous post all in good fun eh?

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxman wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
tuxman wrote:
WanMan wrote:

hahaha seems he has a reputation around here! anyways just looking for some constructive conversation, and don't want to seem rude, so I edited my previous post all in good fun eh?

Wan is our local conspiracy therorist and odd ball observationist

CRT.

HD done right!
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: if I had the money for another PJ... Reply with quote

If I had the money for another PJ... For me, it would be a toss up between the Sony VPLHW15 and NEC XG 110 LC

So I like easy setup, easy mounting of LCD, plus the Sony seems to have all the right specs on paper. It has tons of features too. But, the lack of depth along with poor contrast ratio has kept me loving my CRT. Got to love those flesh tones on the NEC.

Could the Sony VPLHW15 make a believer out of me?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wan on this one...this projector is getting long in the tooth as far as digitals go. There will be something better for cheaper announced in about 3 weeks time.

It may be the first thread here...but this has been out for quite some time.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with a post count of '4' posted about a year old projector. It seemed almost like Spam. I wondered what kind of individual seeks feedback on a year old, about to be discontinued digital projector on a forum favoring analog projectors when the world quite easily recognized a more digitally-prone site where many owners already post that could offer much more intimate feedback on.

It is funny that while everyone is speculating about the new Sony projectors this new-to-Curt's forum would post about last years model as if it were knew. If anything the HW15 is still too new for someone to be talking about it on Curt's forum. About five to ten years too soon. I certainly would not recommend one buying an HW15 for new, and certainly not from Sony direct. I am sure enough used units will be available for half the price.

So, why consider a Discontinued unit for full price?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60k:1 is meaningless if achieved with an iris. Put one white pixel on the screen and your black levels pop right back up.

Make the iris small enough, and you can get infinite on/off. The spec is meaningless. Tell me how black the blacks are in an image of a starry sky and we'll talk.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor do they go into any detail on how that is measured. In fact, that is my #1 complaint about specs.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Someone with a post count of '4' posted about a year old projector. It seemed almost like Spam. I wondered what kind of individual seeks feedback on a year old, about to be discontinued digital projector on a forum favoring analog projectors when the world quite easily recognized a more digitally-prone site where many owners already post that could offer much more intimate feedback on.

It is funny that while everyone is speculating about the new Sony projectors this new-to-Curt's forum would post about last years model as if it were knew. If anything the HW15 is still too new for someone to be talking about it on Curt's forum. About five to ten years too soon. I certainly would not recommend one buying an HW15 for new, and certainly not from Sony direct. I am sure enough used units will be available for half the price.

WanMan, do you mind keeping you post related to the topic, slander towards me is not needed.

So what if I posted about a year old projector? What the hell is it to you?

WanMan, you sir are a TROLL

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxman wrote:
WanMan wrote:

WanMan, do you mind keeping you post related to the topic, slander towards me is not needed.

So what if I posted about a year old projector? What the hell is it to you?

HAHAHAHAH! Laughing

Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
60k:1 is meaningless if achieved with an iris. Put one white pixel on the screen and your black levels pop right back up.

Make the iris small enough, and you can get infinite on/off. The spec is meaningless. Tell me how black the blacks are in an image of a starry sky and we'll talk.

YES! This is why I ask if anyone has seen it, I too have my doubts.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's keep the troll on topic. Now that the HW15 has been Discontinued in favor of the HW20, do you think Sony's website will continue to sell it for list price, or do you think like everyone else they'll buy it from someone else for half the price as a last year's model?

Also, do you buy into the marketed specs, or have you even considered the method for which Sony advertises its CR value? I hear Sony is throwing in a bridge with the HW15 for units left unsold. That bridge will advance the CR rating by a factor of ten, of course you cannot measure it as well.

And nothing slanderous as my genuine interpretation of the original post. You posted as if this thing just came out. It would be inline for a person that just noticed it, fell into a coma for 12 months, and then just woke up not knowing you were out for the last year. But, by all means let's talk about this product as if new [to you], and I'd add maybe broadening your enlightenment on this product by chatting with the folks contributing to the +500 post thread on AVS.

But make sure you keep that thread on topic and not chat up the replacement, the HW20. Troll is as troll does. At least I'm not a recovering comatose patient. Razz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxman wrote:

No offense, but in post #2, i was being sarcastic.

Pretty sure there have been several discussions of this projector on this forum... not to mention countless ones on avsforum.

Once again, thanks for the heads up. Most of the people on here are aware of new models and technology the day it comes out. For several, it's their job.
tuxman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:
tuxman wrote:

No offense, but in post #2, i was being sarcastic.

Pretty sure there have been several discussions of this projector on this forum... not to mention countless ones on avsforum.

Once again, thanks for the heads up. Most of the people on here are aware of new models and technology the day it comes out. For several, it's their job.

I just don't get the superiority complex a few of the senior forum members display. I think I will go on over to the AVS Forum and try my luck there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: