Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Lumagen XS and Calman v4 Interactive mode Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Lumagen XS and Calman v4 Interactive mode Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys, Not sure if any of you have a radiance and Calman v4 but this forum is always much more active than any other forum so i'll try asking here.

I finally got off my arse and began to calibrate my Blend using Calman v4 and my new lumagen XS.
After a bit of messing around with the settings I figured out how to turn on Interactive mode and began with Gamut.
Its really cool!!! I first did a full reading of the gamut, and then i would select settings and check the interactive box. then a small up and down arrow in a maroon box/button would appear in the left top corner of the CIE chart letting me know I was in interactive mode. Here you hover over the measured dot and a cross of arrows appears over the dot and you grab it and move it to where you want. Then the radiance takes measurements from my i1 pro and you can see the dot move around to the best position the adjustments can make. I did all the gamut, so i now moved onto the greyscale. here i figured i'd have to do the same thing. click on the greyscale bar graph and the interactive mode check box would appear in the settings tab.
Nada, its not there or in any other workflow. Just for the Gamut.

Any one else using this combination? Are you seeing the same issue or am I not correctly setting up Interactive mode?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash, doesn't sound like you have something set correctly. Everything color gamut on is interactive. brightness, contrast, luminance and gamma point are not. (They are a little more automated though, but you ahve to make sure the Radiance is set to be your generator). If your doing multipoint gayscale / gamma, make sure your using the IRE advanced workfow. The IRE basic workflow I stops at color gamut (if I remember correctly). If you are in the right mode, multipoint gamma / greyscale will have the RGB bars at each point along with a luminance bar. All 4 for each point are interactive. We were tought in class to start with the luminance bar and set it to your gamma point, then adjust RGB as necessary from there. Start at 80, then 10, then back to 80 (they interact), then adjust them all, then do a full reading to see how you did. Just make sure your in the IRE advanced workflow, the Radiance is set to be your source and and your interactive display. That will put you in interactive mode. Hope that helps. I don't have one to look at, all I have is my workbook and my notes from class.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Nash, doesn't sound like you have something set correctly. Everything color gamut on is interactive. brightness, contrast, luminance and gamma point are not. (They are a little more automated though, but you ahve to make sure the Radiance is set to be your generator). If your doing multipoint gayscale / gamma, make sure your using the IRE advanced workfow. The IRE basic workflow I stops at color gamut (if I remember correctly). If you are in the right mode, multipoint gamma / greyscale will have the RGB bars at each point along with a luminance bar. All 4 for each point are interactive. We were tought in class to start with the luminance bar and set it to your gamma point, then adjust RGB as necessary from there. Start at 80, then 10, then back to 80 (they interact), then adjust them all, then do a full reading to see how you did. Just make sure your in the IRE advanced workflow, the Radiance is set to be your source and and your interactive display. That will put you in interactive mode. Hope that helps. I don't have one to look at, all I have is my workbook and my notes from class.

Hmm, where is that? And it should work with external patterns too.

One XS user is having an issue where one of the patterns puts up noise in interactive mode , i forgot which pattern.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you click on the load button in the workflow section, you should see it in the list to load. We always used the Radiance as the source as well, but I would think your right. Sounds like it's your workflow.

Not sure about the XS problems. We were using XDs in class as well as iScan Duos, but the controls were all the same. Calman didn't change with any of them. Now we did experience issues with HDMI handshakes, but a quick unplug and replug took care of that.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I mixed up IRE with ISF. It's the ISF advanced workflow. Embarassed

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Oops, I mixed up IRE with ISF. It's the ISF advanced workflow. Embarassed

Thanks, I just got home from work. I'll go down and fire up the system and give it a shot. I'll post back my findings.

Thanks Paul, I should have took off from work to go to that class with you!!

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found out you need to load the interactive work flow. but for some reason my radiance is not changing anything. I went in the CMS menu and displayed it while it did its thing and no changes were made. I then did the manual adjustments and in calman i could se the bars move. maybe its my USB to RS 232 adaptor, or another setting i did not change. I'll play more tomorrow.

PS: I now realize the slight changes i saw was just the slight variation of meter readings not actual changes by the radiance.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i figured out my problem last week, i had the Comp connected to the wrong Processor, so it was making changes on my other XS !! Doh!!!!

But i now anve another issue, but its more do do with Calman but it affects the radiance. My post reiterated here from AVS.

I alerted Spectracal about this issue but want to ask if there is a fix here in the radiance. while doing the interactive mode it caused an error while in super white mode(109 ire). It does not allow the program to move ahead . but now in the radiance it clips the top end from about 70-109. I tried to reset all parameters but it still does it. Actually when new they both clipped all colors and white while looking at those AVS HD patterns . Only after using Calman and the interactive mode did i get no clipping. But now my one radiance is stuck cliping the higher end, and it seams almost like one or two ires are now at 109 ire. and I cannot get rid of it. Calman somehow permanently locked it . I have not tried a re install of the firmware. or can i do a factory reset somehow.

Weird problem it is, but i am sure it is a Calman issue but it locks that ire to a couple ire's in the lumagen.

Anyone else see this? Or willing to try it and risk having 80 , 90 IRE and up locked at 109?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not sure if this is a CalMan or Radiance issue so i'll post it here.

This is a new issue than the one listed in my OP but its related and have been wrestling with it for weeks.

First off i have this problem getting my i1 pro to read red correctly at low % stimulus , even facing the PJ with a diffuser on which usually gives more light input.

What is strange i used another persons i1 pro to test against mine, his acts the same way.

At first I tried reading the gamut using the standard workflow just for testing purposes, i usually use interactive workflow.
Well i had no issue reading red stimulus over 10 readings, i switched to interactive and on the first try for both probes it failed to read and put the red dot
north east of the white stimulus box on the CIE chart. I did not go back again to standard to see if it would read again but i should have, next time i will.

But the real issue is getting a strange color shift in the upper scale of the stair step pattern's. I did a hard reset of the radiance and started over with interactive mode and I get the same results each time. It gets a pinkish tint in one bar. before i had this issue but ti was a super white bar.

So i looked at it more and showing the individual % white boxes for the 11 point greyscale it all looks good. here is where i realized i should check the 5%
increment white windows, sure enough 95% white had a pinkish tint but it is more noticeable in the stair step pattern.

Here are some pics for all to see if your display is calibrated correctly of course Wink

Stair step pattern

on the flashing RGB pattern i froze it to show how the red does not flash,

When i first started to use the interactive mode and the radiance all colors and white's were over not flashing, but
after calibration they did using the first version of CalMan . If i reload the saved radiance file from those sessions it all works, but once
I clear the calibration in CalMan and start fresh i get these results.

Here are some more pics for reference.

90%

95% not as obvious as in the star step pattern

100%

I attached a link to down load the lumagen file and the calman file

https://files.me.com/nashou.66/0k3jzz

Oh I am using a CRT projectors in a blend set up, that is the left PJ but ti does the same if i try the right one as well.

EDIT: Just tried reading 75% Red with HCRF and have no issues at all, continuous mode reads the same each time and very quickly.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have no experience there. We only used the Klein meter and a hubble in class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: