Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Calibration training

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccaddaddy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Calibration training Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
How does one learn to do calibrations? Is there a course that could be taken online or go to a seminar or college? I am intrested in learning how to do this. Anyone have info?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply read this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

The best way to learn is by doing.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the SpectraCAL website. They are currently doing a MLB tour (traveling to all the cities with MLB teams) to conduct pro and enthusiast calibration classes. Not sure if they already came through Texas, but it's a great course to take. If not, Kal has a great tutorial on this site to get you started as well. There are loads of info here on meters and which one is right for you. Good luck!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! Kal posted the same time as me. That's the link to the tutorial. Probably your best start. Take the SpectraCAL course if you want to learn more and refine your skills.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are wanting to do. If this is for your own calibrations, then I would study Kal's guide. If you want to pursue this as a job, then check out Spectracals and THXs training programs. If your are trying to make money, then I would suggest you proceed cautiously.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Not sure what you are wanting to do. If this is for your own calibrations, then I would study Kal's guide. If you want to pursue this as a job, then check out Spectracals and THXs training programs. If your are trying to make money, then I would suggest you proceed cautiously.

I would highly suggest reading my guide especially if you're thinking of pursuing this as a career. Why? Because the guide is 100% free and if you have issues following it/understanding it (or don't like what's involved), then I would highly suggest you don't consider doing calibrations as a career. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a pro course only to find out that it's not for you. Smile (Not to toot my own horn but the guide's laid out in what everyone tells me is a very easy to follow manner).

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree Kal.

I had to end my reply quickly to do something else. I think calibration is something that people should look into for themselves and maybe friends and family. Trying to pursue this as job is probably not a good idea. You may be able to add this on as a part time job or an addition to current services offered, if you already have your own business. I don't see being able to make a good living doing this unless you are one of the best out there.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
...I don't see being able to make a good living doing this unless you are one of the best out there.

... and are willing to be aware from home travelling 90% of the year. It's a very tough life.

Kal

ccaddaddy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks guys, im wanting to learn for my own enrichment and maybe do it on the side to supplement my income. i have been talking to the local electronics store owners and they all say that there isnt a need for tv calibrators nowadays. In fact even if i mention crt projector they cringe and tell me no!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccaddaddy wrote:
i have been talking to the local electronics store owners and they all say that there isnt a need for tv calibrators nowadays.

I would be weary talking to most electronics stores about calibration. Most have no idea what it is or why it's needed. The irony is that with today's digital displays that tend to oversaturate colours more than ever, proper calibration is needed more now than ever before.

Half the battle with calibration is educating not only the consumer but retail stores as well. Most retailers don't know anything about the TVs they sell.

At the very least, Best Buy now offers calibration services so you shouldn't get any weird looks if you mention calibration in their store.

Kal

Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at the class I took (I took it to further my knowledge, not to go into business), we pulled brand-new displays out of their boxes and checked their accuracy and calibrated them. All were heavily skewed towards blue. Apparently manufacturers do that to distinquish their TVs at the store, but the result is inaccurate colors. Calibrations are definitely needed. I was blown away what a 30 minute calibration did for a new TV out of the box, and that was just a basic ISF calibration. Also, Best buy only does a standard ISF calibration, that is as far as they go. They do not get into color gamut and multi-point greyscale / gamma, so keep that in mind too.

With the automation calibration software guys are bringing to the table now adays, it's getting a bit easier. SpectraCAL also let it loose in class that they are working with TV manufacturers to bring interactive control to TVs as well as the current interactive control of the Radiance and DVDO iScan Duo. Food for thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: