Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone attending the SpectraCAL training course this Friday?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Anyone attending the SpectraCAL training course this Friday? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone attending the pro calibration class this Friday in Cleveland? Look me up if you do. Getting myself edumacated!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i could, But every time I try to take a day off here at the restaurant something goes wrong and I spend more time correcting the mess than its worth for me to take off. Owning your own Business sucks some times.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to just circle back, I just got back from the class a few hours ago. Awesome class. 5 hours of goodness. Hands-on with a Radiance as well as a DVDO Duo and their interactive multi-point gamma, as well as the use of the high-end meters I've only dreamed of (Konica Minolta one of them). I also learned a ton on what settings do what. Calibration is truly a science in itself. We also calibrated a Runco PJ. All the installers there said that it's the poop, but I wasn't impressed. I didn't feel it was as film-like as CRT, but then again I got the impression some of them have never seen a CRT. I got a lot of wierd looks thrown my way when I said I have a CRT pj.

Anyway, if anyone out there was debating whether to take the course, it's well worth it.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i could take one of the courses.

How in depth did they get with the radiance?
I still have not tried it yet. I just cant find a large enough time window to do it. I would like to have an entire day .

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course was centered around CALMAN 4, so we spent an hour or so doing a full advanced ISF cal using Calman to control the Radiance. Quite easy. You just grab the bar in the graph you want adjusted and move it to where you want. The software and the Radiance do the rest. You'll love it.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the class at the end of July in Philly. I agree it was great instruction. We had Tom Schulte, did you as well? Sounds like the focus was slightly different. We didn't have any PJ's, just 3 LCD's (different makes) and a plasma. We each got to work on 2 of the 4 displays. There were several K-10's, a couple of chroma 5's and an eye1pro. Each workstation had a Quantum Data 780. I think our class also lasted over 7 hours or so. Mr. Green

Really taught me everything I needed at that point. I would have liked some training on a PJ, though.

I also feel slightly weak on the best way to do Contrast. And one other thing I seem to have missed, is in Calman, when adjusting Luminance (not in the CMS), do we just use the Backlight setting to adjust FL's to the proper range (dim room, bright room, theater room)?

And then also, when doing my friends displays I have been taking short cuts in establishing a night mode and a day mode by just adjusting the backlight to get each in the proper range. But I realize for a day mode I should be focusing on lowering the gamma setting, besides just raising the FL, yes?
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't have Tom in Cleveland. I'll have to look up his name when I get home. I can't think of it right now. I agree, it tought me enough to do a good job with my display.

I'll have to go back to my notes, but backlighting is totally different than luminance. That we were adjusting along side RGB.

Yes, you have to go after the proper gamma setting for the amount of light in the room as well. From memory, I think that was 2.6 for dark, 2.4 for some light, and 2.2 for daytime. That's without my notes, so don't take that as correct!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: