Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPC DVR Question - Premium Cable/Satellite

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: HTPC DVR Question - Premium Cable/Satellite Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
If I upgrade to some premium cable or satellite service I'm almost assured a decoder box of some sort right?

How can I use the HTPC as a DVR then? Do I need a separate box?

Do I get the service provider's DVR and network it?
View user's photo album (33 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have really super sweet cable card tuners now! If you go cable, this is the route I would take. I am contemplating trying it out...but I am getting sick of paying $150 a month for damn cable.

If you end up with a set top box you will need an ir blaster from your HTPC and either run composite cables to your PVR card or get the HD-PVR and run the component cables for HD recording up to 1080i I believe.

Here is the cable card solution I am going to try out...

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

3 HD tuners for $249.99!! And networkable so any computer on the network can watch a stream. That is insane!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

3 HD tuners for $249.99!! And networkable so any computer on the network can watch a stream. That is insane!

So cable card is making a come back. That system looks slick. I might get some use out of my gigabyte network after all. I see pre-order. Have the units started shipping yet?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

So cable card is making a come back. That system looks slick. I might get some use out of my gigabyte network after all. I see pre-order. Have the units started shipping yet?

Not sure if any have shipped yet from SiliconDust.

I didn't preorder because I wanted to make sure they worked fine. I know the Ceton solution (Here) is out in full force and people are having a good time with them.

I know that setting up the cable card with your cable co. is the hardest part as they have to do some initializing and they have no clue how to set up HTPCS...there are directions all over the internet to help them though.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
AFryia wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Not sure if any have shipped yet from SiliconDust.

I didn't preorder because I wanted to make sure they worked fine. I know the Ceton solution (Here) is out in full force and people are having a good time with them.

I know that setting up the cable card with your cable co. is the hardest part as they have to do some initializing and they have no clue how to set up HTPCS...there are directions all over the internet to help them though.

I recently dropped Dish Network and went with Comcast. At the time I ordered and received a cable card with the service because I wanted to use the HDHomerun Prime when it came out. I told the Comcast CSR that I was getting a Tivo and they supplied the card no questions asked. I have yet to activate however, but my bill does show a $7.95/month charge for it. Currently I also have a Comcast DVR that I will return once the HDHomerun Prime is out. Comcast told me when I return the DVR then the Cable Card will be free...Because they supply one device with the service. I have several HTPC in the house so it will be a decent deal considering I can watch up to 3 cable channels at the same time on any Windows 7 HTPC on the network.

I too however am a bit skittish on ordering until I see how they pan out. As soon as the first positive reports are seen I will order one.

Keep in mind I think currently it is only supported with Windows 7 running Windows Media Center.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Comcast told me when I return the DVR then the Cable Card will be free...Because they supply one device with the service.

Mike that's good to know.

I'm leaning HDHomeRun Prime over Centon. I like the capability of multi PC access.

Anyone get their hands on one yet? Started shipping in June 6-ch, and 3-ch supposedly in July and it's almost August.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
Comcast told me when I return the DVR then the Cable Card will be free...Because they supply one device with the service.

Mike that's good to know.

I'm leaning HDHomeRun Prime over Centon. I like the capability of multi PC access.

Anyone get their hands on one yet? Started shipping in June 6-ch, and 3-ch supposedly in July and it's almost August.

You can do the multiple PC thing with the Ceton cards as well. I think it is a similar setup process. You might need to actually assign a tuner to a specific PC though...a bit more inflexible but the end result would be similar.

With the HDHomerun Prime you could essentially have a triple tuner for any PC in the house but with the Ceton you would have to assign a tuner to each of the 3 PC's and any one of the PC's would only have access to that one tuner...at least that is how it was going to be a long time when they announced these cards. Haven't followed up on it since I heard about the HDHomerun Prime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: