Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Official Tablet/Pad/Tab/Touchscreen Computing Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you interested in purchasing a tablet style computing device in the next 6 months?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Viewsonic has responded calling out Staples:

ViewSonic Confirms High Performance of GTablet
Software Upgrade Release to Improve User Experience

WALNUT, Calif. – December 20, 2010 – ViewSonic Corp., a leading global provider of computing, consumer electronics and communications solutions, today responded to recent retailer actions surrounding its GTablet 10.1" Android 2.2 Tablet. The GTablet, based on the nVidia Tegra II chipset, is one of the fastest Android tablets on the market today, consistently leading industry benchmarks.

"We always listen to customers; while they love the hardware, they raised several issues about the user interface," Jeff Volpe, VP and GM for ViewSonic Americas. "As a result, our software partner is releasing an upgrade that will address customer concerns. Along with great performance improvements, customers will have the flexibility to use both a standard Android interface as well as a user-customizable interface which has been significantly enhanced since the product launch." Volpe went on to say, "ViewSonic is committed to its tablet endeavors and will continue with new announcements at CES in January."

Current GTablet owners will automatically receive the upgrade through their WiFi connection by Friday, December 24. Users simply need to accept the request to install the upgrade. In addition, Adobe® Flash certification is targeted for the end of January, 2011. In the interim, users can download Flash from various websites that distribute android applications.

For the latest on GTablet software updates, please visit ViewSonic.com/gtablet beginning Wednesday, December 22. For general questions, please contact GTablet support at (866) 501-6405.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos of nothing: a new protective case for the iPad:

The Amazon.com description for the $24.99 iMaxi says it all: "With its durable vinyl outer layer and plush, quilted-cotton sleeve, the iMaxi helps keep your iPad clean and dry. Plus, the iMaxi's Velcro-latched, advanced wing design wraps snugly around your device, so your iPad always stays where it should. Best of all, it shields it from all those unsightly and embarrassing data leaks that would make any motherboard worry!" What's not to love?
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update. I have had the Archo 101 10" android tablet for about a month now and have been happy with it. The one issue I have is that it currently is not able to tether to my blackberry for remote internet access. People have been able to tether the 101 to android phones and iPhones but there are issues with blackberry tethering. Hopefully one of the android geeks will come up with a fix for this. A nice feature that I use the tablet for is to view my dvd collection. I recently moved my library over to the Collectorz software which has an android app. You can export directly from the Collectorz software on your computer via wifi to the tablet device your movie collection library. They also make an app for the iphone and ipad.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Viewsonic has responded calling out Staples:

ViewSonic Confirms High Performance of GTablet
Software Upgrade Release to Improve User Experience

WALNUT, Calif. – December 20, 2010 – ViewSonic Corp., a leading global provider of computing, consumer electronics and communications solutions, today responded to recent retailer actions surrounding its GTablet 10.1" Android 2.2 Tablet. The GTablet, based on the nVidia Tegra II chipset, is one of the fastest Android tablets on the market today, consistently leading industry benchmarks.

"We always listen to customers; while they love the hardware, they raised several issues about the user interface," Jeff Volpe, VP and GM for ViewSonic Americas. "As a result, our software partner is releasing an upgrade that will address customer concerns. Along with great performance improvements, customers will have the flexibility to use both a standard Android interface as well as a user-customizable interface which has been significantly enhanced since the product launch." Volpe went on to say, "ViewSonic is committed to its tablet endeavors and will continue with new announcements at CES in January."

Current GTablet owners will automatically receive the upgrade through their WiFi connection by Friday, December 24. Users simply need to accept the request to install the upgrade. In addition, Adobe® Flash certification is targeted for the end of January, 2011. In the interim, users can download Flash from various websites that distribute android applications.

For the latest on GTablet software updates, please visit ViewSonic.com/gtablet beginning Wednesday, December 22. For general questions, please contact GTablet support at (866) 501-6405.

I am super happy they decided to allow a standard Android UI!! Maybe they will realize that extra money they wasted on development was a complete waste and the next version will be cheaper without that money built in to the total device cost.

For the price...I am sure this unit is pretty nice in stock format. Should lend itself well to the xda crowd for sure.

I will be looking for angry people who bought and don't know about the update to see if I can get a deal!

PS - I don't see where they called out Staples at all in that article...maybe I missed it.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
> Just for you I checked boot times: <

Thanks, Spanky. Those boot times look quite good. I appreciate the other info as well.

I wanted to do some official times on startup and shutdown:
Meego 29sec 7sec
TinyXP 54sec 13sec
Vista 49sec 17sec
Ubuntu Net 33sec 16sec

The only thing I can figure when I looked last time is that I didn't have them plugged in. TinyXP is loading ok now.

I just installed Vista Ultimate that I grabbed off of a torent. I assume it is a good copy. I can't use it for work, so I am not going to keep it. I just wanted to play with the touch screen. I am amazed at how well the handwriting recognition works in Vista. If 7 is better, then this is definitely ready for prime time. I may have to get 7 on here and use the virtual XP.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizio doesn't want to miss the Android tablet fun!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/02/vizio-reveals-via-tablet-and-phone-with-android-sub-300-3dtvs/

8" seems like a decent size. The details will be out soon but the phone they also confirmed has good specs that we know so far.

This CES should be quite interesting.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its based on the Via tablet OEM in case anyone wants to do some research. They also have phone coming.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...this type of implementation could mean the end of tablets and netbooks...at least netbooks I would think!

http://gizmodo.com/5726871/moto-atrix-preview-the-future-of-mobile-is-a-phone-thats-also-a-netbook

Too bad it is on AT&T! Crying or Very sad
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ASUS Eee EP121 slate looks promising for a W7-based tablet running on an Inter Core i5 processor. Starts at $1K but includes an integrated Wacom digitizer, wireless bgn, Bluetooth 3.0, and SSD primary storage with FLASH and USB ports in addition to an HDMI output. My concern beyond the price is the amount of default RAM.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does look interesting especially compared to the rest of their lineup. I thought the review on Anand was kind of lame when he said that it was expensive compared to the other tablets. Well, no kidding. With this you get a real computer and a notebook replacement. I think my biggest beef with most of these tech guys is that their ideal is for everyone to have a smartphone, tablet, laptop and desktop. To me, that is just overkill.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Before I buy myself a tablet, though, I might find myself splurging on that Dell 23/24" multitouch screen for $300. Since I plan on having all but the projector in the HT, I could use a monitor like this just outside the room for previewing, HTPC, etc.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice commented:
> I have had the Archos 101 10" android tablet for about a month now and have been happy with it... A nice feature that I use the tablet for is to view my dvd collection. <

That's good to hear, Dan. How would you assess the viewing angles on the screen in portrait mode? That's one concern I had, not having been able to see one, but they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. It's good to see they finally went capacitive.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dan. How would you assess the viewing angles on the screen in portrait mode? That's one concern I had, not having been able to see one, but they seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

I went ahead and returned the Archos 101 tablet. I had wanted to tether it to a blackberry phone but you are not able to tether the Archos to a blackberry. You can tether them to iPhones and android phones but not blackberrys. I had a few other minor issues with the tablet. I would recommend waiting until the next release and let them get a few bugs worked out.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Care to share what the 'few other minor issues' were?

I was a bit confused since I know this was a shipping product, yet I was seeing releases indicating changed specs, but still having the same name/designation.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The touch screen would stop working and I would have to reboot up to 4 or 5 times to get it operational again. Also, in order to utilize the USB connection I had to remove the sd card. I still probably would have only sent it in for repair if I was able to tether to my blackberry. I read where archos is coming out with the "home" version of the 10" tablet. Looks like better specs for less money. I am keeping my eye on the Adam from Notion Ink, the Motorola Zoom and the lineup from ASUS.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Nook Color Ubuntu Edition Reply with quote

For anyone familiar with Ubuntu then you might want to consider the massage therapy to get Ubuntu coexisting on the Barnes & Noble Nook Color as your $250 tablet extraordinaire.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
The touch screen would stop working and I would have to reboot up to 4 or 5 times to get it operational again. Also, in order to utilize the USB connection I had to remove the sd card. I still probably would have only sent it in for repair if I was able to tether to my blackberry. I read where archos is coming out with the "home" version of the 10" tablet. Looks like better specs for less money. I am keeping my eye on the Adam from Notion Ink, the Motorola Zoom and the lineup from ASUS.

Just curious...were you using several apps at one time...in the background?

I wonder if that inactive touchscreen was just a taxed processor? Did you keep track of what was running while using it?

Why can't you tether to BB? Where you planning on using BT or USB?
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if that inactive touchscreen was just a taxed processor? Did you keep track of what was running while using it?

It was definitely a problem with the device. I had e-mailed and spoken to their tech support numerous times about the issue. The problem with the tethering has something to do with the way the Archos connects to the device. Again, a known issue. There are many topics on the ArchosFansForum regarding this. It would have been mostly BT tethering that I would have utilized.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Quote:

It was definitely a problem with the device. I had e-mailed and spoken to their tech support numerous times about the issue. The problem with the tethering has something to do with the way the Archos connects to the device. Again, a known issue. There are many topics on the ArchosFansForum regarding this. It would have been mostly BT tethering that I would have utilized.

That stinks. Hopefully they can find a problem if so many people are having it.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.engadget.com/features/tablets-at-ces-2011/

This is a great wrapup of all the tablets from CES 2011! Notice any trends???

10"....Android....in my future. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: