Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Official Tablet/Pad/Tab/Touchscreen Computing Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you interested in purchasing a tablet style computing device in the next 6 months?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

virusc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What about the Viewsonic air panels? I bought one last week to hookup to my HTPC to remote control it but have not received it yet. Will this work well for HT control and internet browsing? Anyone using one to remote in to their HTPC? I plan on using it as a touch screen remote.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusc wrote:
What about the Viewsonic air panels? I bought one last week to hookup to my HTPC to remote control it but have not received it yet. Will this work well for HT control and internet browsing? Anyone using one to remote in to their HTPC? I plan on using it as a touch screen remote.

Those aren't technically tablets. They are really remote clients as they are required to tie into another PC.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archos looks to flood the tablet market with Android offerings all by itself! Laughing

Available in the following screen sizes: 2.8", 3.2", 4.3", 7", 10.1" - A flavor for everyday of the week.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught that, too, Greg. Unfortunately, the most desired unit (10.1") is the least available unit for sale (it isn't).

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Thank God it's called the Playbook! Reply with quote

Crap! They may have hit a big one here depending on price. I could see the many blackberry fanatics sticking around for something like this.

It has all the right specs:

7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
1 GHz dual-core processor
1 GB RAM
Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
HDMI video output
Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
Ultra thin and portable:
Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.

The size could be debated. The software looks slick but don't have any hands on yet. The name works for me. Way better than the rumors.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/27/rim-introduces-playbook-the-blackberry-tablet/

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Onkyo is getting into the tablet business, too.

And let's acknowledge that someone just put Google's Chromium plated OS on the iPad.

Onkyo_tablets.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.07 KB
 Viewed:  11628 Time(s)

Onkyo_tablets.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPAD Based whole house control software.

http://www.rocketgui.com/

Spokane, WA - RocketGUI, LLC announced their new iPad solution designed for the mid- to high-end residential control system market. The new iPad software, named Home Pilot™, is unique because it doesn’t rely on a separate processor-based controller like other whole-home control system solutions. Instead, the control intelligence is integrated into the Home Pilot application itself providing the reliability of built-in control redundancy in multi-interface systems, plus an extremely powerful, fluid and engaging user experience.

Home Pilot can be installed on as many iPad’s as desired to provide convenient access to controls and information anywhere in the home. Intuitive “home-base” style navigation provides for familiar control requiring little or no training to operate. Home Pilot controls HVAC, lighting, shades, home security, audio sources like CD changers, music servers, and streaming music clients, and video sources such as Blu-ray players, DVD changers, video servers and streaming video clients. Home Pilot also manages whole house audio and video routing and distribution and more from an intuitive, unified interface.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that created Sling has made a crestron app for android and that was showing at CEDIA. He said he didn't develop for iPad because of the lock screen?!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
The guy that created Sling has made a crestron app for android and that was showing at CEDIA. He said he didn't develop for iPad because of the lock screen?!

That makes no sense at all. Somehow, Crestron, iRule, and the other two dozen or more control apps have decided the lock screen is manageable, but this guy didn't develop because of it? Sounds suspect to me.

Speaking of Android... Sounds like all isn't roses in that camp for tablets...

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/04/android.22.not.optimized.waiting.for.honeycomb

Quote:
LG today stated that it has dropped it plans for an Android 2.2 Optimus-branded tablet. A company spokesperson stated that LG had been in discussions with Google about what was the most appropriate OS for a tablet moving forward, and it was decided that Froyo was not the best choice. Android 3.0, which is nicknamed Gingerbread is a possibility, but LG’s chief competitor Samsung has hinted in a slip that Android won’t be properly optimized for tablets until Honeycomb. With Gingerbread due this fall at the earliest, this news could push LG’s entry into the tablet market well into next year.

In Electronista’s first hands on with Samsung’s Galaxy Tab we expressed surprise at how much of the core Android 2.2 OS remained in the final shipping build on the device, expecting it to have been more optimized for use on a tablet. For example, when in landscape orientation we noted that the small onscreen keyboard left a blank space on each flank. It has been suspected that Samsung’s choice of a seven-inch screen was primarily dictated by the very lack of OS optimization that has led to LG’s decision to wait for Google to deliver a better Android OS alternative for the tablet form factor.

Ouch.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will slow down tablet releases much but I do agree that Google had better be pushing to get an OS that is "optimized" for tablets ready fast.

Once the Galaxy tab is out I bet people forget quickly the talk about an OS "optimized" for a tablet...but then again...they are selling the thing for crazy high price compared to the lesser iPad so they didn't put themselves in a great spot.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

That makes no sense at all. Somehow, Crestron, iRule, and the other two dozen or more control apps have decided the lock screen is manageable, but this guy didn't develop because of it? Sounds suspect to me.

Speaking of Android... Sounds like all isn't roses in that camp for tablets...

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/04/android.22.not.optimized.waiting.for.honeycomb

Quote:
LG today stated that it has dropped it plans for an Android 2.2 Optimus-branded tablet. A company spokesperson stated that LG had been in discussions with Google about what was the most appropriate OS for a tablet moving forward, and it was decided that Froyo was not the best choice. Android 3.0, which is nicknamed Gingerbread is a possibility, but LG’s chief competitor Samsung has hinted in a slip that Android won’t be properly optimized for tablets until Honeycomb. With Gingerbread due this fall at the earliest, this news could push LG’s entry into the tablet market well into next year.

In Electronista’s first hands on with Samsung’s Galaxy Tab we expressed surprise at how much of the core Android 2.2 OS remained in the final shipping build on the device, expecting it to have been more optimized for use on a tablet. For example, when in landscape orientation we noted that the small onscreen keyboard left a blank space on each flank. It has been suspected that Samsung’s choice of a seven-inch screen was primarily dictated by the very lack of OS optimization that has led to LG’s decision to wait for Google to deliver a better Android OS alternative for the tablet form factor.

Ouch.

SC
Sounds like LG actually doesn't want to get into the tablet business. There are an assortment of operating systems they can buy into, but yet 100% of them are not to their needs? Hmm. BTW, I never thought of Android as the best or most appropriate OS for a tablet. It was designed for a cell phone, and not for a computing device.

And furthermore, why the heck isn't ChromeOS deemed not worthy for tablet form?

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Once the Galaxy tab is out I bet people forget quickly the talk about an OS "optimized" for a tablet...but then again...they are selling the thing for crazy high price compared to the lesser iPad so they didn't put themselves in a great spot.

Ummm... Other than perhaps a little more portable and the camera, care to elaborate on how the iPad is "lesser" than the Tab? The Tab does seem ridiculously overpriced to me, which means something coming from a guy who buys Apple products, right? Wait, or did you mean the price of the iPad is generally the "lesser" of the two?

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Sounds like LG actually doesn't want to get into the tablet business. There are an assortment of operating systems they can buy into, but yet 100% of them are not to their needs? Hmm.

What assortment? For a tablet with any developer support, you pretty have your choice between Android and Windows, yes? If you don't want to pay the Microsoft tax for an operating system that's been a commercial failure on every other tablet it was loaded on, Android seems like the only other alternative. If you don't think that's ready, what do you do?

WanMan wrote:
BTW, I never thought of Android as the best or most appropriate OS for a tablet. It was designed for a cell phone, and not for a computing device.

Agreed. Android seems pretty kludgy to me from what I've seen. I played with a coworker's Evo 4G last week, and while it seemed pretty decent overall, the whole experience felt very open source/linux/hacked/not-quite-finished to me. Maybe in a couple more versions they can get it refined and get that feel off of it .

WanMan wrote:
And furthermore, why the heck isn't ChromeOS deemed not worthy for tablet form?

Maybe because it's utterly worthless without an internet connection?

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Ummm... Other than perhaps a little more portable and the camera, care to elaborate on how the iPad is "lesser" than the Tab? The Tab does seem ridiculously overpriced to me, which means something coming from a guy who buys Apple products, right? Wait, or did you mean the price of the iPad is generally the "lesser" of the two?

SC

I meant the 8gb version of the iPad...not that the iPad is lesser.

Having the iPad at Best Buy, Target, etc. certainly will help the iPad as well...front page of last two weeks Sunday ads.

I wish people would backlash over the Netflix censoring BS though. That is for another thread though.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something inside me just refuses to install iTunes. Even though I am worn down by the wife wanting a tablet and no apparent non-iTunish alternative is available in the brick and mortar stores. I did find the Apple fan on the flight back from Florida last month amusing about how he liked his iPad, but hated the fact it had no flash means.

As such, the wife will continue to suffer and take it out on me. I wonder if the iPad will come under Target's 90-day return policy.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another W7 tablet...

CTL2goPad

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/13/ctl-2gopad-sl10-with-windows-7-starts-shipping-for-499-arrives/

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't stomach paying $600 for an Atom powered anything. I am using a Core powered laptop right now that I paid $375 for.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its expensive because its trendy. That is all.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting development.

They are marketing it as a color eReader with apps but it is essentially an Android tab with a fancy skin over top. It looks a bit slow and laggy but for the target audience (eReader crowd) it appears to integrate nice features such as:

-copy and share with contacts via facebook, twitter, etc.
-recommend books
-maintain book status between B&N apps and tablets

The killer is the cheap price...$250!

Only wifi so it doesn't get access to the Google Marketplace but I don't think that is a deal breaker. It would appear that this will help to already kill the Galaxy Tab market (not that the price and contract requirements didn't already do that!).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/nook-color-first-hands-on/

drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am keeping an eye on the Archos line of tablets coming out in the next few weeks. They have already been released in Germany and France. Archos already has a history with tablet type devices. The price will range from $100 for the 3" to around $350 for the 10.1" with 16gb memory. They will have SD card slots, usb ports, hdmi out, blue tooth and wifi. I have been reading in the forums and you can tether to a cell phone via usb or blue tooth and can utilize a blue tooth gps device. A few online resellers have been allowing pre orders in the US but I am waiting for them to show up at Best Buy at the end of November to play with one first.

edit: Also forgot to mention a capacitance multi touch screen. There is a large difference between the capacitance and resitance type touch screens and the multi touch allows you to zoom in and out with two fingers similiar to the Ipad.

http://www.archos.com/home.html?country=us&lang=en

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: