Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Questions about the "GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzyreets

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Questions about the "GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi folks. First time poster here. Just starting to get into tinkering with video calibration. I bought the i1Display LT yesterday and the DVE disk so I'm on my way with the GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES guide here. I'm wondering what settings should I start out with when I'm starting to do this? Just use what I am currently using and go from there? I'm guessing that is the idea but I wanted to be sure. Also, I'm thinking the cell/back light setting has to come into play here somewhere but I don't see it mentioned in the guide anywhere. What do I set that as? Thanks everyone.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question isn't very specific, what settings are you asking about? TV settings, calibration program settings, etc?

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
fuzzyreets

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
Your question isn't very specific, what settings are you asking about? TV settings, calibration program settings, etc?

I was referring to pretty much all the settings in the TV. Don't know what to start out with. Especially the cell light as there is no mention of adjustment for that or what calibration portion it might come into play with. Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cell light setting on your TV that you're talking about? What does it do?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What is the cell light setting on your TV that you're talking about? What does it do?

Kal, see this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1143926

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. That's what I figured.

I would set cell lighting at the default setting and run through a calibration and see where you end up. If you're not getting perfect numbers after adjustment, consider changing the cell lighting to do what you want. For example, if blacks aren't black as you'd like, lower it. If contrast isn't high enough, raise it.

There's no right or wrong answer that can be given ahead of time. You need to measure and see and then use judgement to take the appropriate action.

Kal

fuzzyreets

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've officially given up at this point. I just spent another 2 hours trying to do something with my plasma. After I finish I have pretty decent readings but yet again I have the yellow soupy tint to everything. Looks like it sucks the life out of my display. I set it back to my "wrong" settings and my screen comes alive again. I'm guessing at this point that either my TV lacks the correct base color information for RGB and therefore gives me a terrible outcome or I just don't like a calibrated screen. I don't know though, I did my two samsung LCDs and they look awesome now. Of course my main one is a Plasma which looks terrible after I do this.

I've attached my settings which I made using ColorHCFR if anyone is interested.
Kutis

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I would set cell lighting at the default setting and run through a calibration and see where you end up. If you're not getting perfect numbers after adjustment, consider changing the cell lighting to do what you want. For example, if blacks aren't black as you'd like, lower it. If contrast isn't high enough, raise it.

There's no right or wrong answer that can be given ahead of time. You need to measure and see and then use judgement to take the appropriate action.

Kal

Would it be correct approach to set backlight/ cell lightning to minimum value that can be used to achieve 30-40 ftl at 100 IRE? I guess that way black would be blackest possible? And also - dummy guide says that 10 ftl (for projectors) at 100 IRE would be acceptable in light controlled room, but is there some recommendation for well lit room (for example sunny weather and big windows)? And if there is - how is Gamma related to this? Thanks already for answers.

edit: got ftL for wrong display type
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kutis wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Would it be correct approach to set backlight/ cell lightning to minimum value that can be used to achieve 30-40 ftl at 100 IRE?

Sounds reasonable. All depends on the results you get. You may not get a flat result. Sometimes it''s best to have cell lighting somewhere around the mid-point (average) than really low. I'd say try it. If greyscale and gamma and colours are perfect then it's fine.

Quote:
And also - dummy guide says that 10 ftl (for projectors) at 100 IRE would be acceptable in light controlled room, but is there some recommendation for well lit room (for example sunny weather and big windows)?

For projectors you need a dark room. Light controlled doesn't only mean mean that no stray light is allowed in, it means that the light off the screen is also controlled so that it doesn't bounce back. With projectors you really need to control the outside light. Any sunlight or stray light completely destroys the image. You can't use a projector in a well lit room.

Kal

ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So If I understand what you are saying, is that the backlight in a LCD or cell lightning in a plasma will effect the grayscale calibration. Is that correct?
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktm250 wrote:
So If I understand what you are saying, is that the backlight in a LCD or cell lightning in a plasma will effect the grayscale calibration. Is that correct?
Thanks

Possibly. I would imagine it would. I really don't know since I've never used a display with cell lighting. Try it and see!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: