Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: Radiance Video Processor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
In order to provide the lowest price possible, they are shipped directly from Lumagen in the US at our CurtPalme.com sale prices. Full warranty/support is provided. These are all brand new units.

Units are in stock ready to go and only take a couple of days to arrive just about anywhere in the world. Full tracking and insurance is also provided.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
In order to provide the lowest price possible, they are shipped directly from Lumagen in the US at our CurtPalme.com sale prices. Full warranty/support is provided. These are all brand new units.

Units are in stock ready to go and only take a couple of days to arrive just about anywhere in the world. Full tracking and insurance is also provided.

Kal

I can vouch for this. I bought a Radiance Mini here back in September, and it was shipped directly from Lumagen in Oregon. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Made in USA?

View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
Made in USA?

Good question. I've always presumed "yes" but just to make sure I've sent a note off to confirm and will let you know as soon as I hear.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
Made in USA?

I just received confirmation from Lumagen that the Radiance is indeed a product of (made in) the USA. Some parts come from other parts of the world, but for NAFTA purposes (which is why I think you're asking), it's USA.

Let me know of you have any further questions.

Kal

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AVphile wrote:
Made in USA?

I just received confirmation from Lumagen that the Radiance is indeed a product of (made in) the USA. Some parts come from other parts of the world, but for NAFTA purposes (which is why I think you're asking), it's USA.

Thanks for checking that with them, Kal. It is important to me for a number of reasons. I guess you don't have a unit yourself that you could have looked at?

So I ordered the Mini but they are out of stock until mid-December (I waited until the last day of the sale because I was out of town). Lumagen is kindly offering up their B-stock for further slight reduction in price (it might be all gone by now) but I think I'll wait for a brand new unit. I don't want any HDMI issues with sockets that may have been previously used by untold cables... the HDMI port is not the most reliable invention in the world, generally speaking.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
So I ordered the Mini but they are out of stock until mid-December (I waited until the last day of the sale because I was out of town).

Thanks for your order - I saw it come through.
Quote:
Lumagen is kindly offering up their B-stock for further slight reduction in price (it might be all gone by now)

Yes. They actually went within a few hours.

Quote:
...but I think I'll wait for a brand new unit. I don't want any HDMI issues with sockets that may have been previously used by untold cables... the HDMI port is not the most reliable invention in the world, generally speaking.

FWIW their B-stocks are alway lightly used with no wear at all. If there was any issue with an HDMI socket it would have been replaced. Either way, you got yours at a fantastic price (as did many others given that all stock was completely sold out!).

Kal

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
what is the max pixel clock output of the radiance mini?
i have a p43 green so 720p@120hz is an option for me for 3d.

thinking of getting one in july.

i have to be able to run 170mhz minimal.

What is the answer to the first question, actual bandwidth limit in MHz please?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talk of bandwidth with HDMI devices doesn't necessarily make sense or get you the answers you want.

The Radiance supports HDMI 1.4 which has a clockrate (single-link bandwidth of 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s). 720p/120 is definitely supported.

Why do you want to know?

Kal

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well stated that non "+" models cannot do full 1080p72 which requires about 190MHz pixel clock with CRT timings, but it can do custom (i.e. lower) resolutions that result in 150MHz pixel clock I would like to know at what point (obviously somewhere in between) the device gives up. If we can get that rating in pixel clock then we can screw around with our calculators to figure out the various permutations that are within the limitation without stepping up to a "+" model. If that's not how it works and they have imposed some kind of software limit based on other factors then I need to know immediately.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Got it. 1080p/60Hz is a pixel clock rate of 165Mhz so since that's the max resolution supported by the non "+" Radiance models officially that's what I'd assume to be the the max pixel clock rate. Remember that this is not black and white. The "+" units are hand picked units that test higher. They do not use different components. So 165Mhz is the *minimum* you can use. You may get lucky and be able to go higher without any problems. It's very similar to principle overclocked CPUs in PCs. There's no "brickwall" max speed rating. At a certain point you'll start to get problems.

Kal

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense and should do nicely, thanks!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually...

Lumagen locks non+ units to a lower frequency and you cannot run them higher than what they are rated to run. + is clock locked to below 196Mhz, but I forget what non+ units are locked to now. The lock on non+ units is above 148.5MHz to give CRT folks a little more room to play, but I can't remember exactly where it is locked now.

I actually gave Lumagen the spec that was needed for most CRT's to be able to do 1080p 60Hz with expanded custom blanking... but I simply cannot remember what number I gave them back then Embarassed I derived it to comfortably be able to run 1080p 60Hz on an NEC projector.

Just shoot support@lumagen.com and email and ask them what the max clock rate is on a non+ unit. They'll tell you no problem. If you need to calculate custom timings for CRT projectors you can download my clock calculator below:

http://www.cir-engineering.com/bin/clock_calc.xls

You shouldn't have any trouble running 720p @ 120Hz with a non+ unit. That's the same digital BW as 1080p 60Hz.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
dvh99 wrote:

Where are you getting 170MHz from for 720p 120Hz?

Standard timings for 720p are:
1650 total horizontal pixels
750 total vertical pixels
Assuming you are running 119.88Hz (and not actually 120 true Hz), you will need 148.351648MHz in the Lumagen clock. This is easily accomplished with a non+ unit. Also, 720p has tons of unnecessary blanking so it would be a good idea to cut some off so that you aren't wasting projector bandwidth. Once you customize you'll be well under 148MHz.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Ah! Got it. 1080p/60Hz is a pixel clock rate of 165Mhz so since that's the max resolution supported by the non "+" Radiance models officially that's what I'd assume to be the the max pixel clock rate. Remember that this is not black and white. The "+" units are hand picked units that test higher. They do not use different components. So 165Mhz is the *minimum* you can use. You may get lucky and be able to go higher without any problems. It's very similar to principle overclocked CPUs in PCs. There's no "brickwall" max speed rating. At a certain point you'll start to get problems.

Kal

Kal, 1080p at 59.94Hz will only use 148.351648MHz in the Lumagen. 1080p 60Hz is using 148.5Mhz. But either way, 720p 120Hz will be no problem for a non+ unit. In fact, 720p 120Hz is available as a preset resolution that you can select in the output menu without the need for any customization.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
It is well stated that non "+" models cannot do full 1080p72 which requires about 190MHz pixel clock with CRT timings, but it can do custom (i.e. lower) resolutions that result in 150MHz pixel clock I would like to know at what point (obviously somewhere in between) the device gives up. If we can get that rating in pixel clock then we can screw around with our calculators to figure out the various permutations that are within the limitation without stepping up to a "+" model. If that's not how it works and they have imposed some kind of software limit based on other factors then I need to know immediately.

Also, 1080p 71.93Hz requires the Lumagen pixel clock to run at just 178.021978Mhz, not "about 190MHz." I have Lumagen leave the processor unlocked to 196MHz because I like to use it on my G90 with 3D content that needs excessive blanking with non-P43 phosphors.

However, Jim does not allow me to install + units for clients set to a clock rate above 192MHz, as he feels it would be too risky in the event that a future FPGA might not work with timings above 192MHz. In fact with all FPGA releases Lumagen sends me the FW before posting it to their site for testing at 196MHz because they don't have any monitors there that can run that high of a pixel clock Wink I check the FW's for anomalies and strange video distortions that only crop up at such high clock rates. SInce 192MHz is the highest official clock rate, if it works on my end at 196MHz we figure it will almost certainly work on any + unit at 192MHz or below.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that aside, I think you will find that with a P43 phosphor tube you will prefer 720p 96Hz anyway above 120Hz. 96Hz probably won't flicker and would be a perfect match for 48Hz BD content to avoid 3:2 pulldown. 120Hz would be good for cable TV and SAT though (if you watch 3D on those).

I'm going to bed...

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications Craig! Everything you wrote makes lots of sense. I'm not sure now where I got that 165 Mhz pixel clock rate. I think I got confused with this statement at Wikipedia:

Quote:
The maximum pixel clock rate for HDMI 1.0 was 165 MHz, which was sufficient to support 1080p and WUXGA (1920×1200) at 60 Hz.

So 165 Mhz is not what 1080p/60 uses, but is simply provides comfortable headroom. In the same way that HDMI 1.3 increased the max to 340 MHz to allow for higher resolution (such as WQXGA, 2560×1600).

Kal

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. I was like, "where are these numbers coming from!"

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:

AVphile wrote:

CIR Engineering wrote:
Where are you getting 170MHz from for 720p 120Hz?

It wasn't me asking about 3D but good to know it can do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: