Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: Radiance Video Processor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
dropzone7 wrote:
So the mini doesn't do 72hz correct?

Yes it does. Just not at 1080p. To do 1080p/72Hz or 1080p/75Hz you need XS+ or XE+.

The mini does up to 1080p/60.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

We're still offering free US/Canada shipping on all Radiances. If you're not in the US, we discount the shipping cost by the same amount so that you can still take part in that deal. Email us with your address at lumagen@curtpalme.com and we can provide an accurate shipping quote if you like. Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
dropzone7 wrote:
So the mini doesn't do 72hz correct?

Yes it does. Just not at 1080p. To do 1080p/72Hz or 1080p/75Hz you need XS+ or XE+.

The mini does up to 1080p/60.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

We're still offering free US/Canada shipping on all Radiances. If you're not in the US, we discount the shipping cost by the same amount so that you can still take part in that deal. Email us with your address at lumagen@curtpalme.com and we can provide an accurate shipping quote if you like. Cheers!

Kal

Thanks Kal, that's what I thought. So I guess the "All the same features as, except for number of inputs" statement is not entirely true.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I changed it to mention:

The RadianceMini 3D includes all the same feature and functions as the standard XS and XE units, just less audio/video inputs and outputs (two HDMI 1.4 inputs and one HDMI 1.4 output)..

It's the XS+ and XE+ that are unique.

Kal

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-

If the only advantage (processing wise) the XS+ has over the mini is 1080p/72hz why does that drive the price up so much? Is 1080p/72 that much of an improvement over 1080p/60?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XS and XE are larger boxes with more inputs. A larger box with more connectors means higher cost. The form factor/design inside is different for the Mini which means it's cheaper to built too (many chips scaled down into fewer chips). The XS and XE is therefore also possibly (technically) more hardware upgradable as they use separate circuit boards for some functions instead an all in one integrated printed circuit board like the Mini.

Whether you go with 72Hz instead of 60Hz all depends on how much the judder introduced by 3:2 pulldown (the process of going from 24 frames/second film to 60 frames/second video) bothers you. Someone who's bothered by it may find it worthwhile. Someone who doesn't notice it would obviously not find it worthwhile. There's no right or wrong answer. It's a personal choice.

More info from our order page:

Quote:
What does the "+" mean in the Radiance XS/XE+?

The Radiance XS+ and XE+ models add 1080p/72Hz and 1080p/75Hz support. This is only useful for owners of high end CRT based display equipment such as the Sony G90, Barco Cine9/909, or Electrohome Marquee 95xx CRT projectors. If you never plan on having a high end CRT based display there is no need for the "+" model. The "+" model does nothing for digital displays.

72Hz refresh allows you to run film at exactly 3x the native rate at which film is shot (24 frames/second) instead of at the usual 50 or 60Hz. Running at even multiples of the native rate eliminates motion 'judder' which some people find annoying. CRT based displays flicker too much at 24Hz and 48Hz, requiring the use of 72Hz refresh rate. Flicker does not exist on digital displays as the bulb is always on.

The "+" option is not available for the Radiance Mini 3D.

Link: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad they don't include the 1080p/72hz as an option for the mini. It sucks that CRT owners have to pay a premium in purchasing the XS+ to get that feature...

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so will any of these (or anybody else's 3d device) work with a ps3 and a sony vph1031q ???
pbelo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: 3D with Radiance and Cine9 CRT Reply with quote

Hi,

To view UK SKY 3D into a Cine9 CRT what do I need ?

I use HDFury to convert HDMI to analogue.

Radiance Mini 3D offers what for 3D ? like HDFury3D or VIP 3D ?

Looking for clarification.

thanks

Pedro
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedro,

Lumagen has the a "RadianceMini-CRT-3D" product (with integrated PC 3D glasses output) for doing 3D.

However, if you want to do 3D on a CRT projector such as the Barco Cine 9, we strongly recommend you order the RadianceXE-3D+ instead. This has the "+" speed-grade option which allows output pixel clock rates up to 189.5 MHz. For the best 3D on a CRT we recommend you increase the vertical retrace time from standard timing and this requires a higher clock rate than the standard unit can achieve. When the Radiance outputs 3D as "Frame Sequential" for CRT projectors, we suggest an output rate of 720p120. This is a 148.5 MHz clock, but when you increase the vertical blank, the clock should be in the range of 170 to 189 MHz to accommodate the extra scan lines, which in turn requires the "+" option.

In addition, you need the CRT-3D extender/3D-glasses box for each unit driving 3D to a CRT projector. This box outputs a PC compatible signal, that you then send to a wired-to-wireless 3D glasses.

I'm just clearing up some things and I see you've already emailed us at lumagen@curtpalme.com. We'll throw together some options for you.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pitou

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the Radiance mini 3D but have some questions.

My setup consists of a Oppo BDP93, Motorola cablebox, Xbox360, Wii, Rotel RSX-1550 receiver (does upscaling/conversion from any input to HDMI out), VIP Theater 3D and a JVC HD250 PJ.

1- Where should I connect the Radiance in the chain? My currect chain is the following:

Oppo/cablebox/Xbox (Component)/Wii (component) ----> Rotel -----> VIP theater -----> JVC PJ

2- Does the Radiance passthrough all audio codecs? If not i could use the 2nd HDMI of the Oppo to connect to the Rotel, but would like to avoid this if possible.

3- Does having many components can introduce some delay in video/audio or lip sync issues?

My main use of the Radiance would be the CMS combined with Chromapure software (i1 pro and D2 probes)

Thank you!

Pitou!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would connect the Radiance Mini 3D between the Rotel receiver/preamp and the VIP theater. This way the Rotel will process all audio first.

Delays shouldn't be an issue I don't think, though I've never used the combination of items you mention.

Kal

yosem

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: 3D LUT Reply with quote

Hi!.
Is possible to load or to save a 3d lut from/to radiance mini?

Thanks!,

Jose.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaPure and Radiance are winners in the Best of 2011 awards!
December 5, 2011

Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity recently announced their Best of 2011 awards, and a big congratulations goes out to:

• Tom Huffman and his team for winning in the 'Best Calibration Software' category with ChromaPure 2! Two years in a row!
  • Jim Peterson and his time for winning in the new category 'Best Video Processor' with the new Radiance Mini 3D!
We've always thought the two make a killer combination and the editors at Secrets seem to agree:

"Initially, we were very impressed with ChromaPure and are happy to say that with the latest version that still holds true. The interface is still very clean and straightforward, making it easy to get started for anyone. The additional features offered in the new version have added more power and customization than was previously available, yet without added complexity.

Overall, ChromaPure is still my choice for calibration software and what I plan to continue to use. When combined with the Lumagen Radiance, the results that I was able to achieve were even better. I had thought that an external CMS was somewhat outdated now that most displays and projectors included some sort of CMS, but I was certainly wrong in that regard. With the Radiance I was able to achieve results far beyond what I could do with the display controls, and a far better image as a result of it.

Given all of the issues that we have found recently with Blu-ray players, receivers, and processors with how they handle colorspace information, adding an external CMS can resolve all of these issues, and give you a far better image to boot. It’s a piece of gear that I didn’t want to return, and that I hope to pick up for good in the future."

- Chris Heinonen of HomeTheaterHiFi.com

Links:

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity best of 2011 awards
ChromaPure software and meters at CurtPalme.com discounted prices
Lumagen RadianceMini3D video processor - currently on sale until Dec 31

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D LUT Reply with quote

yosem wrote:
Hi!.
Is possible to load or to save a 3d lut from/to radiance mini?

Thanks!,

Jose.

Yes. A configuration utility can be used to save your configuration to a file on a PC. A previously saved configuration file can be loaded back into the Radiance video processor.

See: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=utilities

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEBRUARY 1, 2012: RADIANCE MINI 3D PRICE DROP!

Effective immediately the Radiance Mini 3D price has dropped. This is the new permanent price (not a sale price). Shipping within the USA is $20, to Canada is $30.

US/Canada customers may order directly here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Contact us at Lumagen@CurtPalme.com for an international shipping quote. We ship worldwide!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the max pixel clock output of the radiance mini?
i have a p43 green so 720p@120hz is an option for me for 3d.

thinking of getting one in july.

i have to be able to run 170mhz minimal.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumagen® announces Harman Luxury Audio Group as new Worldwide Distributor

March 26, 2012 — Today Lumagen® announced that, effective immediately, Harman Luxury Audio Group will become a worldwide distributor of Lumagen’s award winning line of video products, including the Consumer Electronics Association’s 2010 Video Product of the Year, Platinum winner, the RadianceXE™.

The Radiance™ family provides a versatile backbone for high-definition theater systems and is perfectly suited for refining and enhancing the images presented by front projectors, and flat-panel displays. With up to 18 video, and 18 audio input sources, and two HDMI outputs, it offers the extensive switching, setup, and calibration, capabilities needed for large theater systems, at home, or in a corporate or video production environment. Proprietary No-ring™ scaling, linear-Gamma RGB-color-palette CMS, 21-point grayscale calibration, video deinterlacing, MPEG artifact reduction, and temporal noise reduction, combine to provide the best video quality available. The Radiance line of processors also solves the myriad of system installation challenges facing consumers today such as 3D source conversion to a required 3D format, 2D and 3D anamorphic scaling, as well as image sizing, position, EDID control and other setup requirements.

Jim Peterson, President, Lumagen stated, "We are excited to partner with Harman to integrate Lumagen Radiance video processing with Harman audio processors through this distribution agreement. The outstanding audio performance provided by Harman products is a picture-perfect match for our Radiance Video Processors. Over the years we have seen customers pair these products in numerous systems and this agreement will insure that all Harman customers gain easy access to Lumagen’s award winning products."

Jim Garrett, Senior Manager, Marketing, Harman Luxury Audio Group added "Providing a separate Lumagen Radiance video processor protects our current customers’ hardware investment by providing a video upgrade path, while allowing them to keep their current audio processor in place. It also gives new customers the ultimate in audio and video by pairing Harman and Lumagen technology. This approach allows Harman to design and build audio components that dovetail with separate video solutions, and it provides a clear path for independent audio and video upgrades that will keep our customers on the cutting edge of performance."

Lumagen is a privately held video systems product company located in Beaverton, Oregon. Lumagen provides solutions for video switching, processing, and calibration. For additional information see Lumagen’s website at www.lumagen.com, call Jim Peterson at 503-574-2211 or email sales@lumagen.com.

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

March 26, 2012 — Today Lumagen® announced that, effective immediately, Harman Luxury Audio Group will become a worldwide distributor of Lumagen’s award winning line of video products, including the Consumer Electronics Association’s 2010 Video Product of the Year, Platinum winner, the RadianceXE™.

Lumagen is a privately held video systems product company located in Beaverton, Oregon. Lumagen provides solutions for video switching, processing, and calibration. For additional information see Lumagen’s website at www.lumagen.com, call Jim Peterson at 503-574-2211 or email sales@lumagen.com.

Is this still true? The website listed is not working now.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:
kal wrote:

Is this still true? The website listed is not working now.

Take out the comma.

FWIW we still have great prices on the Radiance. We just can't advertise it publically now.

Kal

AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,
Where do they ship from and are all models made in USA?

edit: I see they are shipped directly from the manufacturer. I assume this is either from the Lumagen factory or Harman warehouse in the States.

View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: