Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mac, I have to save my mom's tv

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Mac, I have to save my mom's tv Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My mom's bedroom tv went out during a storm yesterday. Lightening didn't hit directly, so it was a power surge. It didn't even trip the surge protectors. Anyway, it is an Advent Q2035A. When you press the power button, you get nothing. I took the cover off last night and the fuse beside the power cable looked good. That is all I have done till I get an expert direction to go in.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, lets hope westom doesn't post here!!! Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Uh oh, lets hope westom doesn't post here!!! Wink

Nashou

LOL, he's still harassing them over at AVS.

Spank, I need you to look for a chassis number or pic tube brand or label inside with other info.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Samsung tube.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to search out a manual but in the mean time can you snap a picture of the insides, mostly near the A/C input and surrounding area.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm, this is a little embarrassing. I got my peni$ stuck in the tv and had to hacksaw it off. Shocked Mr. Green

Here are some pics:

The tub pic is hard to read.
Type - A51QDX992X002
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the road all day today Spank. Shoot me an email and we can discuss this further.[/b]
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That large electrolytic HV (160v?) cap in the power section looks like the bloated dome topped one in my buddies Tosh RPTV.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Thanks for the help, but I don't think I am going to mess with it now. My sister upgraded to one of those new fangled flat panels and threw out a perfectly good CRT monster.Wink I just set it up for her about a hour ago and it looks like it is running fine.

I am going to make sure she unplugs it when any storms are in the neighborhood. Of course, I could take Westom's advice for protection. Razz
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Mac,
Thanks for the help, but I don't think I am going to mess with it now. My sister upgraded to one of those new fangled flat panels and threw out a perfectly good CRT monster.Wink I just set it up for her about a hour ago and it looks like it is running fine.

I am going to make sure she unplugs it when any storms are in the neighborhood. Of course, I could take Westom's advice for protection. Razz

No problem. Let me know if you change your mind.
I'm sure I'll hear from you when that flat panel starts acting up. Laughing

I'm starting to miss my buddy Westom. Its pretty quite here. Of course he's still going at it over on AVS so I've been reading there. He's got a good bunch beating him up over there. Its quite comical. A 26 pager already. LOL
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to change out both the front and back brakes on my van. With work and maybe going to a family reunion next weekend, it won't get done before I head to SoFL. My mom is happy with her new CRT, so that is all that matters. Plus, I may dive into this Miele W1930 washer I got for free. Getting that fixed is more beneficial to me.

You won't hear from me on the flat panel. If something happens to it, then my sister can just go buy another one. She has millions of dollars in the bank, so I am not going to spend my time repairing her stuff. Now, if said flat panel goes bad and she decides to give it to me then I might have to call Ghostbusters ........ I mean Macgyver.Smile

As for Westom, I didn't know he decided to venture over to AVS. I know there are a couple of knowledgeable power guys over there. For me, I always remember talking to my former neighbor in Raleigh. He was a lineman for CPL. He used to laugh at some of my dumb ideas like external grounding that I read on the various audio websites. Anyway, he used to say your best protection is to buy the power company replacement warranty.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Anyway, he used to say your best protection is to buy the power company replacement warranty.

Yeah, I use home owners insurance. That was my 100% protection comment. But I unplug anyways just to avoid the hassle in case of the big strike..
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have home owners back then and IIRC he used to say that the CPL insurance was very good for the price.

I just remembered something else he used to laugh about - power cords. He would say how is that two to three feet of cable between the outlet and equipment going to make a big difference after the power has traveled all those miles to get to that point. I didn't have a good rebuttal.Smile
allias

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't control the direction of the wind but you can most definately readjust your sails to compensate.**

-----------------------
True Blood
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: