Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Toshiba 50H82 RPTV hissing noise and video distortion

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Toshiba 50H82 RPTV hissing noise and video distortion Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just replaced a gaggle of caps on a friends (The Smoker) Toshiba 50H82 which restored the TV to functionality BUT, when the set is first powered on, and for the first roughly 5 minutes the video has (as he told me on the phone) video 'squigglies' and there is a hiss emitted from the speakers.

I heard it when I first fired up the set after working on it the other day but there was no source connected so I couldn't see any video abberations. When I changed inputs to his HDSTB the hiss went away. Evidently it wasn't a bad input port like I thought. He never used that input anyway so I figured no biggie. I guess it was just coincidental timing on my part.

He said the video and audio straighten out after ~5 minutes, with a watchable image, but the only workaround he found for the audio issue is to switch over to external output (AVR) with the remote. Then it's fine but still has the image distortion. But for the audio issue I would guess the problem was HV related. There is one large cap in the power section that is visibly shot. I didn't have one to put in at the time. (He's ordering it). C884, 160v, 330uf M 3D. I have NO idea what the M 3D denotes. I couldn't find an explanation in the service manual.

It sure sounds like HV to me. I noticed the lead had been torn out of the focus block and someone just stripped the wire back and shoved it down in without even tinning the wire. I can't see how the f-block can be opened to resolder the wire. The cover is glued on and slides toward the PCB; which would require desoldering the whole thing to open it up. I think it's called a focus block. It sits next to the flyback and is fed by an anode lead from the flyback.

He isn't worried about it and is thanful for getting his TV working; especially because money is tight due to the medical costs for their handicapped toddler. However it DOES bug Me and I can't let it go. If it's an HV issue I don't want it to eventually arc/fail and take out components that would render the set trash. I suspect the problem will go away after I replace C884...I hope anyway.

Thanks for any direction you can offer guys. Their little girl is a brave little cutie who has had nothing but one surgery after another since born and gets around with a prosthetic leg but other than that loves to watch TV in the livingroom where other people normally are. They have other sets but the Tosh is the biggest.

A side note, she just got selected to be the official Shriners child for a couple years and will be traveling a bit and her photo will be on their literature. Thumbs Up

EDIT: The tubes are pretty toasty too. The set has been used primarily over the years for 4:3..you know what it looks like now that I've corrected the AR to what the set was designed for; 16:9. Anybody know a good clearinghouse for NOS tubes? The set takes Hitachi tube P/N's: Red:23008174, Green:23008175, and Blue:23008176. I'll start searching too.
EDIT: I found a seller on ebay that has the blue up for auction at $74 and some change. He rates them a 9/10...yeah right. I sent a question asking if he has all three and made an offer if he does.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Toshiba 50H82 RPTV hissing noise and video distortion Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
I just replaced a gaggle of caps on a friends (The Smoker) Toshiba 50H82 which restored the TV to functionality BUT, when the set is first powered on, and for the first roughly 5 minutes the video has (as he told me on the phone) video 'squigglies' and there is a hiss emitted from the speakers.

If its what I'm thinking these are called firing lines. But I have to do alot of assuming here since I cant see of hear what it is.

I heard it when I first fired up the set after working on it the other day but there was no source connected so I couldn't see any video abberations. When I changed inputs to his HDSTB the hiss went away. Evidently it wasn't a bad input port like I thought. He never used that input anyway so I figured no biggie. I guess it was just coincidental timing on my part.

He said the video and audio straighten out after ~5 minutes, with a watchable image, but the only workaround he found for the audio issue is to switch over to external output (AVR) with the remote. Then it's fine but still has the image distortion. But for the audio issue I would guess the problem was HV related. There is one large cap in the power section that is visibly shot. I didn't have one to put in at the time. (He's ordering it). C884, 160v, 330uf M 3D. I have NO idea what the M 3D denotes. I couldn't find an explanation in the service manual.

The hiss could be coming through the audio and not be HV related or it could be HV/screen/focus related. The M is probably just the series number and the 3D a type. Did it have these problems before you changed anything, when it was still working?

It sure sounds like HV to me. I noticed the lead had been torn out of the focus block and someone just stripped the wire back and shoved it down in without even tinning the wire. I can't see how the f-block can be opened to resolder the wire. The cover is glued on and slides toward the PCB; which would require desoldering the whole thing to open it up. I think it's called a focus block. It sits next to the flyback and is fed by an anode lead from the flyback.

That focus or screen wire (which ever it is) is normal. It is usually just about a half inch of stripped wire. Down inside is a metal piece that the wire just pushes against when inserted. I had a Mitsu one time that had similar problem like yours and I found after pulling that wire that it looked a little corroded. Not much, if fact you could hardly tell. I took a knife and scraped the wire clean (you could also cut it off and strip a new part). Then I took a que tip and some alcohol and swabbed/scrubbed down in the hole and then dried it with a hair dryer. Problem was solved. Worth a try.

He isn't worried about it and is thanful for getting his TV working; especially because money is tight due to the medical costs for their handicapped toddler. However it DOES bug Me and I can't let it go. If it's an HV issue I don't want it to eventually arc/fail and take out components that would render the set trash. I suspect the problem will go away after I replace C884...I hope anyway.

You also may want to double check those caps you replaced to make sure you have the polarity correct. I have on some occasion installed one backwards even when being extra careful. It must be that dyslexic syndrome, lol.

Thanks for any direction you can offer guys. Their little girl is a brave little cutie who has had nothing but one surgery after another since born and gets around with a prosthetic leg but other than that loves to watch TV in the livingroom where other people normally are. They have other sets but the Tosh is the biggest.

A side note, she just got selected to be the official Shriners child for a couple years and will be traveling a bit and her photo will be on their literature. Thumbs Up

EDIT: The tubes are pretty toasty too. The set has been used primarily over the years for 4:3..you know what it looks like now that I've corrected the AR to what the set was designed for; 16:9. Anybody know a good clearinghouse for NOS tubes? The set takes Hitachi tube P/N's: Red:23008174, Green:23008175, and Blue:23008176. I'll start searching too.
EDIT: I found a seller on ebay that has the blue up for auction at $74 and some change. He rates them a 9/10...yeah right. I sent a question asking if he has all three and made an offer if he does.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tube numbers are Toshiba. Is there a Hitachi number on the tube decal?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you may want to listen near the focus pack for the noise. If it is there then with the tv unplugged try turning the screen and focus controls back and forth to swipe the contacts inside clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: