Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Audio Calibration - Room EQ Wizard

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike P.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Audio Calibration - Room EQ Wizard Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd pass along some excellent information about audio calibration. There is a free program called "Room EQ Wizard". It is used for measuring room responses and correcting modal resonances. It includes tools for generating test signals; measuring SPL; measuring frequency and impulse responses; generating spectral decay plots, waterfalls and energy-time curves; generating real time analyzer (RTA) plots; calculating reverberation times; displaying equaliser responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes. A full description of the program can be found here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

The help files are here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/wizardhelp/help_en-GB/html/index.html

and it even has its own forum to help with any questions you may have.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Last edited by Mike P. on Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
David_Web

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the nicer free apps out there that I have found.
However I can't get measurements to agree with the measurement of XTZ room analyzer.
Spectral decay and waterfall is totally screwed from Room EQ Wizard, it just don't add up with XTZ regardless if I use the calibrated mic that comes with XTZ or another mic. Nor does it add up with reality of what you really hear.
Until I figure out what's wrong with it I won't trust it.

Now if I can get it to work properly it seems like a nice app. The resolution is a lot higher than other apps.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new here. Just wanted to REW is a very versatile room equalisation program. Its strength is based on the no. of features and flexibility it has. It is regularly updated with new versions and always improved. It has proved to have the highest resolution compared to any other program I have tried.

David, I am not familiar with XTZ room analyser, but I have extensively used REW paired with a Behringer FBQ 2496 that I use as a parametric equaliser to tame room modes. I suspect you are doing something wrong with REW as this program is basically very accurate as far as I know. Make sure to carefully read the help files...It is easy but a single connection error can fool readings ... How do you connect your computer to eq.? Did you calibrate the soundcard? What SPL meter do you have? Did you load the SPL meter calibration file?

HERE is a detailed discussion about waterfalls and what can be done with REW to tame ringing.

I had many problems in the very beginning when I started using REW, but once solved I couldn't be any happier!

Pls post REW FRs and let's see what it looks like. Make sure to use 45-105 dB as loudness limits for easier reference (I'm just familiar with this scale).
David_Web

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
I was under the impression REW analyzed the actual spectral decay of the room. (or rather what the mic hears). But I can see from the pics that it does not.

Is there any way to set it up so that it measured the spectral decay in the room that the mic hears?

Ill post some comparisons when I get the time.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I don't understand exactly what you mean by "actual" spectral decay of the room, but it does measure room spectral decay as per data received from the mic.
Here is a quote about spectral decay from REW help files:
Quote:
This group shows spectral decay traces over the region from 10Hz (or the frequency resolution for the selected window width if higher) to the end of the measurement sweep. The plot used logarithmically spaced data at 96 points per octave with 1/24th octave smoothing applied. The time separation of the slices is controlled by the setting just above the Generate Spectral Decay button, the width of the impulse response section that is used to generate the slice is set by the Window control. The corresponding frequency resolution is shown next to the window width.

If you mean real time analysis by "actual", then you might want to check the RT graph panel or the spectrum. It will give you real time readings including THD measurements.
Just take the time to play with this toy, I am sure you'll be very pleased!
fireanimal

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using REW for a couple years, and can say that it is an excellent program! I have used it to measure first reflections/impulse response for accoustic treatments, RT60 for room reverb, as well as eq for my sub response.

I attached my in room measurement of before and after with the subwoofer. As you can see it allowed me to get rid of the large peak at 40hz and cut the upper bass frequencies to give me a lot more low end extension.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, maybe we should hit Mike P up for a banner ad placement? Wink

But since it's free, I guess not..Very Happy
Mike P.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hey Kal, maybe we should hit Mike P up for a banner ad placement? Wink

But since it's free, I guess not..Very Happy

I know exactly what you mean! Very Happy

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/video-displays-processors/11101-guide-greyscale-calibration-dummies.html#post98177

I'm sure kal would agree that sharing information is a good thing! Thumbs Up
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got this thing up and running?

I thought I would spend an hour setting it up but ran into driver problems with Vista 64 and the creative sound card I got with the kit. I guess I need to iron that out first.

I have a BFD 1124, ECM800, the phantom mic amp, most cables i need, etc. Never got a chance to get the darn thing going yet though. So far, all I have is another bouncing light meter in the rack next to the amps.

Also, anyone recommend a good cheap USB sound card with Vista 64 compatibility??
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it to EQ my IB sub. It was a wee bit tricky but eventually I got it by following the advice from that REW forum and the guys over at infinitely baffled. That's all I got though bro no helpful hints, I'm not even sure if I understood exactly how I got it to work. I'm going to redo it soon too as we have changed the cinema so much I'm sure the calibration is off now.

I am an iconoclast
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems pretty straightforward. I just need to get my measurement setup working. Might have an xp machine going down to the theater soon anyway so might just use that.
SYC

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mic and sound card do you recommand for this program to get better result? I don't need a premium one. I just need a good one in a reasonable price.

SYC
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Behringer ECM8000 is a great mic for REW. You need a phantom power, and I use a small mixing board which was
pretty inexpensive. Sound cards???? Got me. I don't keep up with that but the forums do.

I've got an extra almost brand new in the box ECM8000 if you're interested PM me.

I am an iconoclast
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Room EQ Wizard<

A great tool for the HT enthusiast!

SYC wrote:
Which mic and sound card do you recommand for this program to get better result? I don't need a premium one. I just need a good one in a reasonable price.

I was using a $15 MadDog 7.1 card with the RS digital meter. The software has a loop back feature for generating a sound card correction file. Almost no correction required for my cheap card, virtually flat 5Hz to 20khz. My sub reaches below 15hz so I've since upgraded to the ECM8000 mic to get more accuracy there.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the Behringer U Control UAC202 for $30 free shipping from Amazon. A reviewer said it works with Vista 64 so that is a must.

No drivers necessary just plug and play. 2 inputs and 2 outputs. All I need for REW.

Anyone need an older creative sound card that isn't compatible with Vista?
reginee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the philosophy behind the Wizard of Oz? It has been posed on another question that the Wizard of Oz is a metaphor for finding truth and the meaning of life. Perhaps I am being particulary dense but would someone please care to clarify the ideas and underlying theme?
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reginee wrote:
What is the philosophy behind the Wizard of Oz? It has been posed on another question that the Wizard of Oz is a metaphor for finding truth and the meaning of life. Perhaps I am being particulary dense but would someone please care to clarify the ideas and underlying theme?

OK, seriously - WTF? Confused

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: