Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone with detailed simple plans for 2nd row riser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren Wadsworth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Anyone with detailed simple plans for 2nd row riser? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need to build a 2nd row riser platform for a friend. He is going to be putting a couch on it. It will be covered with matching carpet. Does anyone know of a simple plan (with detailed instructions), but one that looks good?

No joy with google.

Darren

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there are really plans out there. They are pretty easy.

Mine is 2x12s. You just make a box and space the cross memebers about 18" apart. Screw it together. Then I glued and screwed two sheets of 3/4" think plywood. No squeeking or creaking and solid as a rock. You can put insulation in it to help it function as a bass trap.

For steps, just notch out for the step and put a support for the back of the step.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Darren Wadsworth

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

We plan on putting matching carpet on it. Is there any info on the best way to do that. Also, he might want some sort of low level accent lighting, so someone doesn't trip on the step in the dark.

Darren

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Wadsworth wrote:
Thanks for your help!

We plan on putting matching carpet on it. Is there any info on the best way to do that. Also, he might want some sort of low level accent lighting, so someone doesn't trip on the step in the dark.

Darren

I'll try to take some pics of my riser but it looks alot like Kal's seen here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=5

I just put down the pad on the top (not extending over the edge), then wrapped around the lip and stapled. The veritcal parts were just laid straight over the wood and stapled.

You can put a light under the lip above the step if you want, just be sure to wire it all up and test it before putting the plywood on.

If you have not seen this, it is pretty handy:
http://www.cinegi.com/cgi-bin/riser.cgi

I like the 2x12 with 2x3/4" plywood because it gives you a 14" tall riser and a 7" high step (which is the standard height of a step, so it will "look right").

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Darren Wadsworth

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great info, thanks.

Do you know how to the corners (with the carpet)?

Darren

gravymaker

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Here's a simple design that me & Pidd used with pretty good results. I stuck a piece of rope light under the stair lip which comes on during the movies. Its tucked up under so that you can't see it - i *really* hate seeing exposed rope light!

layout:

carpet:

result:

I went with an underlay, but my buddy didn't. I find both are comfortable. I'd say you just want to match whatever you have under your existing carpet now from a "foot feel" perspective.

Good luck!
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built mine as a simple deck from 2x8's...

I had the carpet installer do it at the same time as the floor. He stapled a 8" strip all around the base. Then laid a piece across the top, wrapped it around the overhanging edge and stapled underneath the lip. He trimmed the corners and used a lot of staples to keep it tucked down. Two years of heavy use and it's still holding up well. I can't see a single staple.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravymaker/Clarence,

How high are your risers? I made mine about 12" high and it's *just* high enough to work. That's the one thing I've found about risers: There's no such thing as too high. Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My riser is 10" high. That's high enough to see over the front row, especially when the front row recliners are reclined.

I didn't want it any higher because I only have 8' ceilings and the projector is mounted above the riser.
Belcherwm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Gravymaker/Clarence,

How high are your risers? I made mine about 12" high and it's *just* high enough to work. That's the one thing I've found about risers: There's no such thing as too high. Smile

Kal

I would guess it might depend a little on how tall you are and how high your ceilings are. Razz

Mine are too low but I had a soffit to contend with. Definitely pack it with insulation.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense Clarence - especially since your front row reclines and the back row doesn't (from what I can tell).

Both my rows recline, but even with a 12" riser, if I want to recline at all in the 2nd row, the people in the first row have to recline as well.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gravymaker

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I used 2x10's 3/4" of plywood, plus padding + carpet, so I'd be right around 10" I'm guessing.

I'd love to have gone higher but didn't want to build a step. The rule in my house is front row people MUST recline!

Which is not a hard rule to enforce - the darn things are pretty comfy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: