Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Eye-One Display 2 recalibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Eye-One Display 2 recalibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
Just bought Eye-One Display 2. I saw warnings about its possible drift after some time (filters aging and degradation etc).
I am completely novice in color calibration world, but have some "unique" opportunity to periodically access professional grade equipment - ask my father to borrow it for a weekend from another laboratory at his workplace.

I even don't know the model/manufacturer, but it something looking like laser gun with LCD readout. It should be pointed at the illuminated surface (not incandescent light) and after pressing the trigger it gives measurement in about 1 sec - x/y/Y values - should be handheld, and no any computer interface.

Let's assume it is calibrated (I'll check it against new Display2 after I receive it).

So the question is - is it possible to recalibrate Display 2 using this device ?
For instance, if I display calibration image of white on my monitor (or it can be used only for projectors ?) in a year, measure it with "laser gun", then with Display One and write the difference (probably it can be put directly to ColorHCFR, if not - I'll just adjust all measurements manually) - will it do ? Is is important to measure difference at each IRE level for each color, or doing it for 100% IRE for R/G/B is enough ? Or for white only ?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EyeOne Display 2 cannot be recalibrated. People usually simply buy a new one. You can however profile it against another known good meter like you mentioned.

I'm not sure exactly what you should be measuring but I would imagine that all 3 colours across the spectrum from black to white should be measured. This would be a real pain and generally is not worth doing by hand. Very tedious.

ChromaPure software has built in tools to do exactly this and makes it easy. Then ChromaPure keeps these offset tables for you to use (with ChromaPure only of course).

For more info see: www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

In your guides you mention the D2 probes are calibrated at the factory and I"m curious if you have any info about that. Do you think maybe they measure the probe and just dis-card out of spec units? I can't imagine how a device like this would be calibrated. I can imagine that if manufactured a certain way it's response can be predicted.

-Brian
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Hampton wrote:
Kal,

In your guides you mention the D2 probes are calibrated at the factory and I"m curious if you have any info about that. Do you think maybe they measure the probe and just dis-card out of spec units? I can't imagine how a device like this would be calibrated. I can imagine that if manufactured a certain way it's response can be predicted.

Some that are really off are maybe discarded but I bet most have something that can be tweaked to allow them to get into spec again. I'm not sure how they do it but it could be as simple as a few variable resistors/capacitors/inductors installed. So coming down the line they measure the response of the probe portion of the meter and then compensate for slight variances by tweaking these pots found later in the signal path of the meter. This is basically how *all* consumer electronics is built since all parts have tolerances (errors) and these errors add up. You build things in modules and have adjustable controls that can be tweaked to compensate. Take apart any TV and you'll see a a bunch of pots with nail polish like shellac over the turn-pot. These individual circuit sections were tested and various pots adjusted to get the right output, then glued so that the end user doesn't mess with them. Some controls are adjustable by the end user (like brightness/contrast) but there are hundreds of others that are not.

The reason why you can't calibrate after is probably because (a) what you're measuring off the probe portion of the unit isn't something that we typically measure, and (b) the things are all sealed up anyway - not make easy for servicing. To add some sort of panel or door to make them serviceable would cost more and once the filter starts to degrade too far you can't compensate anyway it would seem.

In the end it's all about price point: The D2 is something they want to keep as cheap as possible.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way they are calibrated from what i understand is they change the Eprom in the device to change the formula it uses to measure light waves. the ones sold from the factory have a specific formula i'd assume. I think spectral or any other company that might want to sell the Probe with a bundled software program are given the source code and change the formulas for each individual probe after they compare it to a reference probe.then they change the numbers in the formula so the measure the probe made work to the reference measures of the Reference probe. I am not 100% sure on this but this is How i thin spectracal does it possibly . They get in a bunch of D2 and test them, any that are too off they go in and alter them.

Now remember this is my own assumption and I could possibly be 100% wrong. But from building the HCFR probe and learning how it uses other profiles to work i see it as a viable conclusion. The difference is the Eprom in the HCFR probe relies on other profiles to work, its not a set standard like in other mass produced Tri Stimulus probes. I profile mine to an i1 pro that i know is reference. So basically any profile I create for the HCFR probe should read the same as my i1 Pro or at least very close.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
The way they are calibrated from what i understand is they change the Eprom in the device to change the formula it uses to measure light waves. the ones sold from the factory have a specific formula i'd assume. I think spectral or any other company that might want to sell the Probe with a bundled software program are given the source code and change the formulas for each individual probe after they compare it to a reference probe.then they change the numbers in the formula so the measure the probe made work to the reference measures of the Reference probe. I am not 100% sure on this but this is How i thin spectracal does it possibly . They get in a bunch of D2 and test them, any that are too off they go in and alter them.

Now remember this is my own assumption and I could possibly be 100% wrong. But from building the HCFR probe and learning how it uses other profiles to work i see it as a viable conclusion. The difference is the Eprom in the HCFR probe relies on other profiles to work, its not a set standard like in other mass produced Tri Stimulus probes. I profile mine to an i1 pro that i know is reference. So basically any profile I create for the HCFR probe should read the same as my i1 Pro or at least very close.

Athanasios

You're probably right: Having lookup tables in an EEPROM makes a lot more sense than discrete components. That's a more likely scenario.

Kal

Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for what Athanasios said. I own an OpticOne (rebadged Progressive Labs CA-6X) probe and software. The original probe was part of a batch that had problems with the gluing at its seams, and it popped open during shipment. Inside was a small circuit board with the detectors and a number of surface mount ICs and other components. No pots. The probe was quickly replaced by the OEM.

Now, OTOH, my old Minolta TV-2130 has a probe with pots inside. But it's older tech, with a large main unit for its readout and controls and a matched probe that's about the same size as my I1Pro.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! Introducing the Display 2 PRO!

Now with ChromaPure on board we have a way to recalibrate Display 2 / Display LT meters for 8 different display types in the same way they do it for the Chroma 5 PRO, DTP-94 PRO, and the Hubble.

This greatly benefits all all tristimulus colorimeters as they all have unit-to-unit variations. They all benefit from this calibration to different displays using a reference spectroradiometer. They all deteriorate over time and benefit from periodic recalibration. The corrections are built in to the ChromaPure license file, so there is no change to the meter itself.

For complete details see: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay2.shtm

You can either purchase a new Display 2 from us or you can send in your existing Display 2 to have it calibrated for use with ChromaPure. This works with the Display LT as well as they're the same meter. We even pay for return shipping!

Kal

v_erich

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an X-Rite EyeOne Display 2 which is far away form a good performance.
I use it with calman 3.7

Is this re-calibration also working with other software then ChromaPure?
I think not if I understand it right...

Thanks,
Erich
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_erich wrote:
Hi,

I have an X-Rite EyeOne Display 2 which is far away form a good performance.
I use it with calman 3.7

Is this re-calibration also working with other software then ChromaPure?
I think not if I understand it right...

Thanks,
Erich

No, the recalibration is done in software for use with ChromaPure only. It will not work with other software.

We offer both ChromaPure and the recalibration at CurtPalme.com reduced prices. See: www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Quote:

Quote:

Can my meter be recalibrated?

Yes. For a modest fee, your Display 2 / Display LT / GammaX, DTP-94, Chroma 5 / ColorPro V, or Hubble / OCT1000 colorimeter can (and should) be periodically recalibrated to ensure it retains its initial accuracy. This service eliminates the problems associated with exposure to the elements over time. We recommend doing this yearly. See our BUY NOW buttons to the right. You pay for shipping to us and we pay for shipping back to you.

We can recalibrate any of these meters (not just the ones you purchased through us) for use with ChromaPure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: